Why become a member? ×

My Korg Pitchblack has fallen apart...

Huw Foster

...not the whole thing, mind. Just the footswitch.

I've always had a problem with it coming loose at the nut, and when I took it to a gig in my rucksack* it fell apart in the bag. I've now got all the components from the switch in an envelope, but I'm not sure how to put it back together again.

Does anyone know how it's all meant to fit together? I can provide photos of the components to illustrate the problem more clearly.

I should also mention it looks like a really fiddly job - is it worth my time (as an amateur), or should I just bite the bullet and get someone a lot more qualified to sort it out?

*[size=2]I'd normally take it in a pedal board but it's easier to transport pedals in a bag sometimes. I had everything wrapped up in a t-shirt, so it was fairly secure...[/size]

Edited by Huwberry

[attachment=94966:IMG_1804.jpg]

[attachment=94967:IMG_1806.JPG]
All the loose parts... I'm not actually sure whether the larger spring is actually from the Korg - it was in my bag too though... Sorry to confuse things!

[attachment=94968:IMG_1807.JPG]
The underside. To place the parts inside I'll have to go around the large circuit board, at the bottom. Really fiddly.

[quote name='Huwberry' timestamp='1323436592' post='1463360']...I'm not actually sure whether the larger spring is actually from the Korg - it was in my bag too though...[/quote]
PMSL :)

Seriously though, it doesn't look like those parts could go together in many different ways. I think I can see how they must go, but I'm darned if I could explain it! So I'll let someone better at explaining things have a go.

I kinda suspect this switch is a write off, but nothing ventured nothing gained... :)

Right - bit of inspired guesswork here...

[u]Assembly 1[/u]
Spring E and 'piston' D push through the underside of collar G (the way it is in the picture).
Spring C sits in collar G - you should now have a spring inside a spring.

[u]Assembly 2[/u]
Stand part A in washer F.
Pick up that assembly, feed the springs of assembly 1into part A and screw the two sub assemblies together.

That whole assembly 'should' now screw back into the rear part of the switch from the front of the casing, but I can't tell for certain as the switch is hidden under that PCB. :)

The good news is that if this doesn't work, Korg UK have an extensive spares department in the UK and have been proven to be a really helpful bunch of chaps in the past.

Korg UK (Spares) 01908 304670

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1323440744' post='1463436']
PMSL :)

Seriously though, it doesn't look like those parts could go together in many different ways. I think I can see how they must go, but I'm darned if I could explain it! So I'll let someone better at explaining things have a go.
[/quote]

Explaining it had me stumped as well so I cheated :)

Manual: Rotate anticlockwise.
Translation: Clamp with molegrips then beat repeatedly with hammer anticlockwise.

Manual: This is a snug fit.
Translation: You will skin your knuckles!

Manual: This is a tight fit.
Translation: Not a hope in hell matey!

Manual: Pry...
Translation: Hammer a screwdriver into...

Manual: Undo...
Translation: Go buy a tin of WD40 (catering size).

Manual: Retain tiny spring...
Translation: "Jeez what was that, it nearly had my eye out"!

Manual: Press and rotate to remove bulb...
Translation: OK - that’s the glass bit off, now fetch some good pliers to dig out the bayonet part.

Manual: Lightly...
Translation: Start off lightly and build up till the veins on your forehead are throbbing them re-check the manual because this can not be 'lightly' what you are doing now.

Manual: Weekly checks...
Translation: If it isn't broken don't fix it!

Manual: Routine maintenance...
Translation: If it isn't broken... it's about to be!

Manual: One spanner rating.
Translation: Your Mum could do this... so how did you manage to botch it up?

Manual: Two spanner rating.
Translation: Now you may think that you can do this because two is a low, tiny, 'ikkle number... but you also thought the wiring diagram was a map of the Tokyo underground (in fact that would have been more use to you).

Manual: Three spanner rating.
Translation: But pedals are easy to maintain right... right?

Manual: Four spanner rating.
Translation: You are seriously considering this aren't you, you pleb!

Manual: Five spanner rating.
Translation: OK - but don't expect us to try using it on stage!!!

Manual: If not, you can fabricate your own special tool like this...
Translation: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Manual: Compress...
Translation: Squeeze with all your might, jump up and down on, swear at, throw at the garage wall, then search in the dark corner of the garage for whilst muttering "bugger" repeatedly under your breath.

Manual: Inspect...
Translation: Squint at really hard and pretend you know what you are looking at, then declare in a loud knowing voice to your wife "Yep, as I thought, it's going to need a new one"!

Manual: Carefully...
Translation: You are about to cut yourself!

Manual: Retaining nut...
Translation: Yes, that's it, that big spherical blob of rust.

Manual: Get an assistant...
Translation: Prepare to humiliate yourself in front of someone you know.

Manual: Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal.
Translation: But you swear in different places.

Manual: Prise away plastic locating pegs...
Translation: Snap off...

Manual: Using a suitable drift...
Translation: The biggest nail in your tool box isn't a suitable drift!

Manual: Apply moderate heat...
Translation: Placing your mouth near it and huffing isn't moderate heat.