Why become a member? ×

Fender P/J-bass or Ibanez Prestige SR1005?

Faithless

Looking for a new bass - I'm playing rock, so ,all in all, I've decided to choose between some Fender bass and Ibanez SR1005 Prestige.

I need 5-string, 24-fretted, active bass ( as the Ibanez is...), but other players and my teacher suggests to think about Fender bass(especially about Precision series). I've looked through Fender's site, but most P-basses are 4-string and 21/22-fretted... Only Jazz basses are 5-stringed, but... they are 22 fretted. And they are JAZZ basses :)

So, is there any real need to look over Fender's in this particular case or should I even look over something else? And some other things, I should know, when looking for bass like that...?

I'm going invest a fair amount of money, so I'd like to choose a good variant :huh:

Thanks in advance,

Faith

I think Jazz basses are great for rock so don't rule them out, the Fender Jazz 24 comes in a 5 string variant, although I have never played one so I have no idea if it's any good.
Is there a reason you need the 24 frets?

There's quite a lot in that price range, what about the Warwick Doublebuck (might be 24 frets) for example. Lakland too. Not that I think anything is wrong with the Ibanez but there's a lot of choice.

Good Luck!

The string spacing on those Ibanez SRs is very close - I looked at one a couple of years ago and though it was built beautifully the strings were too close for me and I thought it lacked any character of it's own sound-wise. Saying that they are certainly very versatile and undeniably pretty.

I have an Ibanez SR1000EFM Prestige (4 string) and it's a beautiful looking, versatile and sweet bass.

As to a lack of character... well, it doesn't sound like a Jazz or a Precision, is that the same thing?

Of course not! It has its own sounds (versatile, see?) and it's built way better than many Fenders IMHO ;-)

The string spacing on the 5 is 16.5mm, the 4 string is 19mm and a Broadneck Warwick is 20mm...

Dunno if that's *too* close, just try... But it is a lovely bass...

If you can find an SRX705 that's worth a look, they have 18mm spacing, and sound great!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='16950' date='Jun 13 2007, 05:21 PM']Yes and a p-bass is a PRECISION bass. What's ur point? Besides Jason Newstead plays a lakland jazz copy (im surprised u didn't know that considering ur avatar...)[/quote]

I was talking about Jazz basses too - i'm surprised you failed to read my 1st post clearly...
Considering Metallica, the very last person I'm interested in, is very Mr. Newstead. :)

My point is, that Fender basses are quite versalite - and, if looking to the future, I'm going to play varied music - not only rock, but funk, jazz maybe.

Well, the string spacing - when I tried 5-string Godin, I thought that the spacing is too low, but,really, it's just a matter of time to attune to it.

Thanks for your opinions :huh:

I'd go for the Ibanez without a doubt. The Ibanez will produce tones similar to the Fender but with a more modern sound.

As far as build quality is concerned, the Prestige models are great.

The other players and your teacher I suspect probably have a Precision themselves and haven't tried the Ibanez to really comment on it - they are airing on the side of tradition.

[quote name='Machines' post='17081' date='Jun 13 2007, 08:01 PM']I'd go for the Ibanez without a doubt. The Ibanez will produce tones similar to the Fender but with a more modern sound.

As far as build quality is concerned, the Prestige models are great.

The other players and your teacher I suspect probably have a Precision themselves and haven't tried the Ibanez to really comment on it - they are airing on the side of tradition.[/quote]

My teacher has Sadowsky bass, friend - MusicMan, and so on - the point is that no-one has P-bass :)

But, in fact, none of them play rock, most - jazz, so that's why I don't listen them implicitly.

However, somehow Ibanez was my favorite all the time :huh:

Do you really need the 23 and 24th frets?

A US Fender will have better residual value than the Ibanez. If you go for a US Deluxe Jazz or Precision,you'll get two extra frets, 18V active circuit and noisless pickups. There's nothing the Fender can't do that the Ibanez could.

[quote name='Faithless' post='17111' date='Jun 13 2007, 06:42 PM']My teacher has Sadowsky bass, friend - MusicMan, and so on - the point is that no-one has P-bass :)[/quote]

I stand corrected ! I still think you should go with the Ibanez, it's got more to it (in my eyes) than a Fender Precision.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='17220' date='Jun 13 2007, 11:31 PM']Do you really need the 23 and 24th frets?

A US Fender will have better residual value than the Ibanez. If you go for a US Deluxe Jazz or Precision,you'll get two extra frets, 18V active circuit and noisless pickups. There's nothing the Fender can't do that the Ibanez could.[/quote]

Well, I don't need those two frets that deadly, but, in fact, there's one solo where I need them, also, those two fit when playing scales and so on.

[quote name='Machines' post='17340' date='Jun 14 2007, 07:56 AM']I stand corrected ! I still think you should go with the Ibanez, it's got more to it (in my eyes) than a Fender Precision.[/quote]

Exactly!

Bartolini pickups and a vari-mid EQ are *way* more interesting than a Precision pickup...

And after getting into thru necks the bolt on ones just seem so clumsy somehow ;-)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='16950' date='Jun 13 2007, 03:21 PM']Yes and a p-bass is a PRECISION bass. What's ur point? Besides Jason Newstead plays a lakland jazz copy (im surprised u didn't know that considering ur avatar...)[/quote]

Pretty damn sure 'tallicas whipping boy plays Sadowsky's to this very day, he started using them around Load/Re-Load time after brief stint with Spector.

To the point, if you can find yourself a USA Deluxe Jazz you'll find as opposed to most jazz basses their more comfortable, they have a smaller body, closer string spacing but not too close, the bass it self weighs less and also looks nicer, personally I lvoe the looks of jazzes but the deluxe just makes them look great. They can do just about any tone you want or need, the slap tone is closer to the real MM slap tone as opposed to the MM signatures. Going from 24 frets to 22 I did slightly worry but to be honest it dosen't make too much difference in the end, and another plus 2nd hand ones are relatively cheap and you'll always find one on Ebay.

^ yeah i thought it might be shadowsky actually. Oh well these things happen.

[quote name='Faithless' post='17024' date='Jun 13 2007, 04:45 PM']Well, the string spacing - when I tried 5-string Godin, I thought that the spacing is too low, but,really, it's just a matter of time to attune to it.
Thanks for your opinions :)[/quote]

if you mean close then you should consider the fender jazz 5 string. Basically like someone glued an extension on a standard jazz neck so it could have a low b. Then they changed all the hardware, body and pickups for 5 strings. Very good also i think maybe u should look at the fender jazz 24, it's an extremly versitile bass and it has 24 frets!

Edited by EdwardHimself

• 4 months later...

It still goes on...

So, as I tought it could happen, I've started playing jazz and funk ( rock didn't go anywhere, still got it's band), I'm now thinking of changing instrument - sell Ibanez SR1005, and take more versalite instrument. As I'm looking for 5 string 24 fretted bass, it becomes sort of problem, when looking at Fender's Jazz Basses, buuut, things happen, and they released 2007 model:

[url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0261000552"]http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0261000552[/url]

It has passive/active switch, Duncan pickups and other interesting things. It looks, this model came for me, but I'm waiting for your opinions, guys, on this thing.

[quote name='Faithless' post='86780' date='Nov 11 2007, 09:46 AM']It still goes on...

So, as I tought it could happen, I've started playing jazz and funk ( rock didn't go anywhere, still got it's band), I'm now thinking of changing instrument - sell Ibanez SR1005, and take more versalite instrument. As I'm looking for 5 string 24 fretted bass, it becomes sort of problem, when looking at Fender's Jazz Basses, buuut, things happen, and they released 2007 model:

[url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0261000552"][url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0261000552"]http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0261000552[/url][/url]

It has passive/active switch, Duncan pickups and other interesting things. It looks, this model came for me, but I'm waiting for your opinions, guys, on this thing.[/quote]

Go and try it...as and when!

I'd have said that the SR range would be perfectly suited to jazz and less so to rock. For rock I'd have recommended the SRX range and the SRX705 in particular. Extremely comfortable, fast thru-neck and more output than you can shake a stick at, plus a rock sound second to none. :)

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bassman2790' post='86790' date='Nov 11 2007, 10:29 AM']I'd have said that the SR range would be perfectly suited to jazz and less so to rock. For rock I'd have recommended the SRX range and the SRX705 in particular. Extremely comfortable, fast thru-neck and more output than you can shake a stick at, plus a rock sound second to none. :)[/quote]

I'd have to agree completely with the above...

I have an SRX705 and it's an awesome rock bass, with a very strong output.

My SR1000 is much more polite, subtle, detailed and well, sophisticated ;-)

Having both is great, trouble is I *still* can't decide if I prefer 4 or 5 string.

But that's another topic I guess...

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='86788' date='Nov 11 2007, 10:20 AM']Why cant you use the Ibanez to play Jazz and Funk? Whats not versatile about two pups and a 3 band active with mid sweep? The only thing that might concern me is the Barts.[/quote]

+1.

With 2 pickups and that much EQ control you should get a nice funky tone out of it no problem.