Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs

Sean Quinn

Okay I'm a teenager and I have started going to a few gigs I used foam earphones at kasabian as they worked okay but I would like a proper pair at a reasonable price (something £20 or under) for the Red hot chili peppers gig I am going to my ears are quite sensitive also I would need them to reduce loads of sound so I can play with my band and not damage my ears but still be able to hear a good sound quality. Going to gigs, playing at gigs and band practice what would you reccomend?

I use [url="http://www.allearplugs.com/earplug-suppliers/proguard-custom-fit-earplugs/proguard-mold-your-own-earplugs.aspx"]these[/url] myself, i changed from Hearos Rock n Roll as they didn't fit right and didn't make enough of a difference. These seem to work a lot better, although i have only played one or two gigs with them, and used them at one (Rise Against, so not quiet) and they made a hell of a diffrence there.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1323851821' post='1467662']
I use [url="http://www.allearplugs.com/earplug-suppliers/proguard-custom-fit-earplugs/proguard-mold-your-own-earplugs.aspx"]these[/url] myself, i changed from Hearos Rock n Roll as they didn't fit right and didn't make enough of a difference. These seem to work a lot better, although i have only played one or two gigs with them, and used them at one (Rise Against, so not quiet) and they made a hell of a diffrence there.

Liam
[/quote]

Interesting. Could you put your own filters in these or are they just basically solid?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1323858915' post='1467772']
Interesting. Could you put your own filters in these or are they just basically solid?
[/quote]

They're solid, which is a bit of a downer really, as i would like to be able to change the attenuation because they sometimes take off a bit too much. I need to get another set really, as the one for my right didn't mold properly and it doesn't extend into my ear canal so doesn't block out as much as the other, but for £15 i can't complain.

Liam

I got something similar for travelling [url="http://www.boots.com/en/BioEars-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs-3-pairs_39424/"]http://www.boots.com/en/BioEars-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs-3-pairs_39424/[/url].

They are a bit like blutack but silicon. Out of the packet they are too effective for me to wear for music, especially as I am rather deaf anyway. I wonder if you could make a hole in them and fit filters? I may try a diabolical experiment.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1323859422' post='1467777']
They're solid, which is a bit of a downer really, as i would like to be able to change the attenuation because they sometimes take off a bit too much. I need to get another set really, as the one for my right didn't mold properly and it doesn't extend into my ear canal so doesn't block out as much as the other, but for £15 i can't complain.

Liam
[/quote]

That's a shame. The one thing with my ER-20's is that they get a bit itchy after a while and I start fiddling with them. I think it's just because of the fit. I don't use them on stage but I use them at rehearsals or when I'm out at other people's gigs or just in town in general (I find they quell the worst of the horridly compressed mp3 files that get played in pubs and clubs) but I don't want to make a big deal out of them or draw any attention to them by fiddling with them because once you explain what they are for folk just think you are either obsessively geeky or just plain mental. :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1323860634' post='1467802']
I got something similar for travelling [url="http://www.boots.com/en/BioEars-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs-3-pairs_39424/"]http://www.boots.com...-3-pairs_39424/[/url].

They are a bit like blutack but silicon. Out of the packet they are too effective for me to wear for music, especially as I am rather deaf anyway. I wonder if you could make a hole in them and fit filters? I may try a diabolical experiment.
[/quote]

Yep that's what I was getting at. I used to do a lot of shooting and I have some quite nice pro compact filters that I think would work well with custom fitted plugs (instead of the bright orange Lt. Uhura style ones they are in just now) but f*ck paying £150+ to get a set made.

Well, they certainly mould to the shape of your ear and remould easily. So it must be just as easy to make a hole in and fit it around the filter. Ridiculously cheap, so got to be worth a try. I already have the £150 jobs but am bound to lose one/both eventually. I'll have a fiddle later and report back.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1323861625' post='1467818']
Well, they certainly mould to the shape of your ear [b]and remould easily[/b]. So it must be just as easy to make a hole in and fit it around the filter. Ridiculously cheap, so got to be worth a try. I already have the £150 jobs but am bound to lose one/both eventually. I'll have a fiddle later and report back.
[/quote]

Ah so they don't set solid. That's a bugger.

No. Think BluTack or chewing gum but not sticky.

Anyway, I just tried a very unscientific experiment. Took a filter out of one of my moulded plugs. Dropped it. Did a spectacular slip catch to prevent it falling through a hole in the floorboard. Made a hole in one of the soft plugs with a pen, bunged in the filter, bunged it in my ear. Put proper one in other ear. Got my wife to shout. Seemed to have much the same effect on both sides. Got to be worth a fiver to try.

[quote name='Sean Quinn' timestamp='1323879916' post='1468182']
how much are these and would you say they were better than Alpine earplugs?

Does it matter if you don't get custom fittings?
[/quote]

Dunno man. Like I say, have a look on ebay. I've bought 2 set now and they were about 7 quid plus postage. Never had the Alpine ones.