Why become a member? ×

Best Practice Amp

Clive Tee

Hi

I used to play bass in a blues band 45 years ago, about the time Eric Clapton started, but we weren't quite as good! Anyhow, I wanted to start again so I've bought a couple of basses but now wanted an amp. I've bought a headphone amp but I don't like wearing headphones.

I've been looking at Roland Cube 20 and Fender Rumble 30. I want a real good quality sound, not bothered about price, and I want a deep bass without boom. And something I'll get a good sound out of even at low volumes.

I don't need more than about 15W really, but it's the quality I want, so I don't mind buying something more powerful and using it at lower volumes, as long as it's not too big to carry. So a Roland Cube 60 would still be OK if the sound is that much better.

I'll be playing blues and jazz, not interested in funk or any effects that don't relate to blues/jazz. It's just for practice, although I want to start a band again if I get the chance, but will be willing to buy a bigger amp if and when. Although if there's something that would do practice and band (small events only), then that could be an option.

TIA

Edited by Clive Tee

I have the EBS Classic 60 combo and it is amazing. You can get any tone you want from it, deep, thumpy bass or clear and crisp. Plus its very very loud for a 60 watt combo. I use it for rehearsals and my MarkBass combo for gigs. However, I am so impressed with the EBS stuff and to the guys at EBS who I have been chatting with that I am ditching the MarkBass gear in the new year and getting an EBS Reidmar 250 and 2 x Classic 112 cabs. The Classic 60 is certainly the best combo around.

Not tried one, but the EBS does get very good write-ups.

My Ampeg BA-108 is a nice little amp. Gives good Ampeg sound, and at 25 watts, is small enough for home use, plus sits nicely in a living room without being in the way. I`d recommend it to anyone who likes that warm Ampeg sound. Probably not to anyone wanting more modern hi-fi tones.

[quote name='Clive Tee' timestamp='1323861755' post='1467822']
Thanks so far. Do you think the EBS 60 is better than the Roland Cube 60?
[/quote]

I have not tried the Roland Cube although they do get good to mixed reviews. All I can say is the EBS Classic 60 is awsome.

Edited by Linus27

I have a Cube 30 for home practice along to the stereo. Its more than adequate for that, but if you're practicing with a band I'd go for the Cube 60 I think the only difference is the power. It has amp models and some FX built in so it can be quite versatile.
My dad has a Cube 100, he does big band and jazz quartet stuff and he is getting rid of the Cube 100 because he says its too loud!
He's taking out a Line 6 100watt 1x10" combo these days which he loves, its got the Bass Pod amp models and its pretty convincing for a little box.

The big EBS stuff I have tried is really nice gear but it is on the pricy side! I have not tried the EBS 60 though.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1323882874' post='1468246']
If it's simply home practice the Roladn Cube 20XL is plenty lound enough, in fact I often put the 'power squeezer' on. It gives you satisfying lows without complaints from the other half.
[/quote]

Yep, I was thinking of a Roland Cube 20XL. That would do at home which is what I want right now, then when I get in a band, I can get whatever does that job instead of trying to get something to do the both jobs, and I'll know a lot more by then as well. Makes sense. Thanks.

Hi. Have you looked at the new Fender Bronco40 bass amp yet? I just got one n its awsome (IMHO) 40w 10 inch speaker 24 presets 8 amp models loads of FX and all fully configerable via the fuse softwear thats free from fender (how many amps you seen with a USB conector) It sounds fantastic . I went to Nevada music in portsmouth to try out the Rolland amps n came across this, for 10 quid more than the Rolland 20XL twice the power, bigger driver, loads more flexability and in my opinion it felt, looked and most importantly sounded much better. After an hour or so playing with the rolland and the fender in the shop i parted with £191 and took the Bronco home. Got home about 2pm unpacked pluged in n played with the nobs n switches and my collection of basses. They all sounded great even befor i fiddled. Befor i new it was 2am, seriously!!!! (cant say that about my Trace Elliot 715) Anyway id recomend you check it out on youtube or at a local store befor you makeup your mind. Any one out there fancy a realy nice Trace Elliot 715 (its the new type with the back lit face panel and its loud, its very very loud)

The EBS 60 and the Fender 40 sound excellent but I've just ordered a Roland 20XL to get here before Christmas. That'll do what I want for now then I can get something bigger later on if and when I get my blues band formed. I've got a bass player (me), so now just need a drummer, guitar, keyboard, vocal and harp.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, cheers.

Edited by Clive Tee

had a go on a micromark at absolute music a couple a years ago, was very impresed with the sound, very clean n suprisingly loud but how much, naa thats just being silly !!!!!!!. Had the studio 110 too, was my first proper bass amp, chose it over the cube 30,. It was good n loud and not a bad sound (should akept it) since then ive had a peavey and a trace (both 1 x 15 combos) but the fender bronco beats em all for playing at home IMHO

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1323964546' post='1469289']
Line6 Studio 110 would be my choice :)
[/quote]

Really? I tried it twice in two different shops, and both times I found it very muddy and frankly underwhelming. I like old amps and old school sounds, so modern sizzle or clarity isn't my thing, but the sounds I was getting were quite poor IMO.
Loud though!
I also briefly owned a line 6 bass pod, used for one gig as a DI/preamp for the PA, and sold immediately after for the same reasons. Clearly a matter of taste!

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1324047550' post='1470253']
Really? I tried it twice in two different shops, and both times I found it very muddy and frankly underwhelming. I like old amps and old school sounds, so modern sizzle or clarity isn't my thing, but the sounds I was getting were quite poor IMO.
Loud though!
I also briefly owned a line 6 bass pod, used for one gig as a DI/preamp for the PA, and sold immediately after for the same reasons. Clearly a matter of taste!
[/quote]

On the Ampeg setting (forgot the name now) and the grind setting it gave a great tone for me. Top end bite with plenty of grunt, I'm still looking for a distortion to match that grind setting actually, it was quite ridiculous.

Also it's worth noting the DI out (with cab simulation) was good and the amp was very versatile for it's size and price. Was a great practice amp for quiet while I had it. Also had the effects built in which was a nice feature.

As a practice amp for a beginner to intermediate it's great as you may not know the exact tone you would like and it would happily lead you down most paths without hassle.

All IME etc

Trace Elliot Commando 10s (if you can find one) are great. They're compact, punchy, have plenty of lo-end warmth and have a flexible but simplified version of the V-Type pre-amp..

65w RMS
1 x 10" Celestion speaker
Mid-Shift facility
Headphone output