Why become a member? ×

Considering my first EUB

warwickhunt

:) Cor not been in this part of Basschat before :huh:

Anyways...

Due to a dicky shoulder I'm considering delving into the realm of EUB (done a search on here and I've taken on board the recommendations to get a tutor), my first question is simply; are the NS WAV EUBs any good as an introductory bass? The Bass Centre have them in new for £699 which doesn't seem too bad a price!

Cheers

Don't look so scared, it's ok, come in, we don't bite.
Right are you feeling comfy....?
I'll begin.

I played an NS once (had to borrow in emergency) did a whole gig on it.
Given that I'm usually an acoustic player (on double that is) I have to say the ease of play and the sound it produced were excellent. Also I have a student from BC who has a Stagg which in action and string tension is closer to a double bass and again the sound is good.

When it comes to lessons you don't need many, its just a good idea to learn how to properly use your left hand most efficiently for two reasons :
1. done right its less effort and less injury prone
2. its much easier to maintain good intonation.

on the second point, bad intonation is bad enough on acoustic, amplified its truly awful.
If you troll the EUB/double forum you will find various bits of advice (some of it really good) from different people, me included, and I'm more than happy to answer specific questions if you come across any difficulties (should you decide to go ahead)
Best of luck whichever way you turn.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='166249' date='Mar 30 2008, 10:55 AM']Don't look so scared, it's ok, come in, we don't bite.
Right are you feeling comfy....?
I'll begin.

I played an NS once (had to borrow in emergency) did a whole gig on it.
Given that I'm usually an acoustic player (on double that is) I have to say the ease of play and the sound it produced were excellent. Also I have a student from BC who has a Stagg which in action and string tension is closer to a double bass and again the sound is good.

When it comes to lessons you don't need many, its just a good idea to learn how to properly use your left hand most efficiently for two reasons :
1. done right its less effort and less injury prone
2. its much easier to maintain good intonation.

on the second point, bad intonation is bad enough on acoustic, amplified its truly awful.
If you troll the EUB/double forum you will find various bits of advice (some of it really good) from different people, me included, and I'm more than happy to answer specific questions if you come across any difficulties (should you decide to go ahead)
Best of luck whichever way you turn.
Jake[/quote]

When (more if, really :) ) I get the money together I now know where to come, and who to ask for advice. Quite reassuring really. :huh: One day...

Hi John
Hows it goin mate I bought an NS WAV eub last year and i absolutely love it, i got the amber burst one and am very happy with it, i got it from Promenade music in morcambe, and gary did me a fantastic deal, (£680 and they,d just come out then, I even got the upgraded stand that comes with the more expensive versions, think that was a one off though) i think they are a great way to discover upright bass, like you ive been an electric player, i did dabble a bit while at college in newcastle and had lessons from a great guy called PETE STEWART dont have his no unfortunately it was a while ago, anway the actions low and the strings are very light, they also have fingerboard dots for us intonation dummies ;) , so the transition is a lot easier, ive not used it too much in gigs (bit scared) but when i have ive had lots of compliments o the sound, a lot of purist say its just a big fretless electric and they have a point but with abit of creative tweaking you can get close and the sound is fine for me, i will upgrade to a 5 string CRM5 in the future and eventually get a proper one if i can get a big enough house.
Anyway mate i recommend them highly i always wanted a steinberger, and when the wav came out i could finally afford one, give me aPM if you want a natter about it- all the best- LEE ;)

:) Cor not been in this part of Basschat before :huh:

Anyways...

Due to a dicky shoulder I'm considering delving into the realm of EUB (done a search on here and I've taken on board the recommendations to get a tutor), my first question is simply; are the NS WAV EUBs any good as an introductory bass? The Bass Centre have them in new for £699 which doesn't seem too bad a price!

Cheers
[/quote]

It's also worth considering the Aria SWB Lite one. Thomann have them for about £750. Whether it's better than the NS Wav is probably down to taste but what I like about it is that it has a body rest and endpin (the Wav uses a cymbal stand type thing I believe) so You're not rooted to the spot.

[quote name='TheRev' post='167029' date='Mar 31 2008, 04:34 PM']It's also worth considering the Aria SWB Lite one. Thomann have them for about £750. Whether it's better than the NS Wav is probably down to taste but what I like about it is that it has a body rest and endpin (the Wav uses a cymbal stand type thing I believe) so You're not rooted to the spot.[/quote]
That has its advantages and disadvantages.

My first EUB was a BSX, the predecessor to the Flip range as far as I can tell - 34" scale and tripod stand. From that, I went to a Palatino VE-500 which has an endpin. It was rather heavy though, and the end pin was a bit of an inconvenience as with the overs band I only played it for a few numbers and with the barn dance band there's gaps between the dances while the future Mrs Zero shouts at the putative dancers to bend them to her will, which all meant that a stand would be more convenient. I now have an NS WAV-4 which I like - I briefly had an overlap of instruments so I was able to compare the necks of the WAV-4 and the VE-500 and although they're noticably different, I didn't have a preference for one over the other (I'm very inexperienced on EUB which may be one reason for that).

I would actually like the NS end-pin and stand, but I think it needs the CR tripod, and the total cost of doing it is around £350.

Hi guys
Me again, the wav does have a foldable stand but its generaly considered to be a really weak link, so upgrading to a CR stand would be sensible , i was really lucky in that mine came with a CR series stand but that isnt the norm, i do fancy gettin the endpin stand which i think is about £150 as i cant stand up in theatre pits, much prefer to stand with it though, one thing about the WAV to consider is that it is a piezo pickup so the input impedance is very high and a lot of amp inputs have low impedance for magnetic pickups ( has to be at least 1 mohm) otherwise it rolls of all the low end, and the WAV IS very bright sounding anyway so a preamp isrecomended, i bought ans EBS microbass 2 as the A input is designed for high impedance and i can switch between the WAV and my warwicks, and t then gives it a 2 band eq which dramitically improved the sound, a friend of mine has an Aria and i also tried one before getting the WAV and ididnt like it, (it does sound nice though) just a very big neck (ive got small hands :) ) but i did prefer the tone of the WAV . Hope this helps John i must sayplaying an upright is a nice change its got me back into playing again, after 15 years of playing professionally i was treating the bass as a work tool, which is not why i got into bass in the first place.
Hope everyones cool- take care- LEE

That has its advantages and disadvantages.

My first EUB was a BSX, the predecessor to the Flip range as far as I can tell - 34" scale and tripod stand. From that, I went to a Palatino VE-500 which has an endpin. It was rather heavy though, and the end pin was a bit of an inconvenience as with the overs band I only played it for a few numbers and with the barn dance band there's gaps between the dances while the future Mrs Zero shouts at the putative dancers to bend them to her will, which all meant that a stand would be more convenient. I now have an NS WAV-4 which I like - I briefly had an overlap of instruments so I was able to compare the necks of the WAV-4 and the VE-500 and although they're noticably different, I didn't have a preference for one over the other (I'm very inexperienced on EUB which may be one reason for that).

I would actually like the NS end-pin and stand, but I think it needs the CR tripod, and the total cost of doing it is around £350.
[/quote]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='168612' date='Apr 2 2008, 05:30 PM']Thanks Lee... and everyone else of course :)

Well I may be one step nearer to taking the plunge as an old playing mate from way back spoke today about a laid back acoustic style band and it has me seriously considering it.[/quote]

Just do it mate - you won't look back. Moving to upright has totaly rekindled my desire to improve my playing, I play more gigs that I ever have and it looks well groovy. Aside from reproachful looks from my neglected Sterling, it's all peachy.

The more I read about different models, the more I want a Stagg.

There are clips of NS basses on here and they sound wonderful (not sure if it's a WAV), so I think they would be worth the money if you can afford. I, personally, would only go to a certain price before wanting something more violin shaped.

The Arias seem cool, but I'm not sure I could have one knowing the SWB-03 exists :)

Let us know what you go for and how it sounds.

If you really are not sure about the move then a Stagg is an ideal instrument to get. For just over a couple of hundred pounds you get an excellent EUB to start out on and if its not for you, then your easily sell it. If you love EUB then it will stand you in good sted until you fancy an upgrade.

[quote name='Linus27' post='169331' date='Apr 3 2008, 06:25 PM']If you really are not sure about the move then a Stagg is an ideal instrument to get. For just over a couple of hundred pounds you get an excellent EUB to start out on and if its not for you, then your easily sell it. If you love EUB then it will stand you in good sted until you fancy an upgrade.[/quote]
+1 a really good starter at a very reasonable cost.