Why become a member? ×

Bass bash-- Top gig!

The Burpster

what an awesome day/weekend.

just got back now after a further adventure to london and a visit to the bass gallery. which was eventful enough in itself!

definitely going to make the effort to take my gear down next time! (felt a little sorry for my bass left at home with no-one playing it. and i don't think i saw another sterling there, either.)
some idiot [i]very [/i]nearly smashed into me on the motorway on the way back up - if they had have hit me where they were headed towards before i elegantly sashayed out of the way (then less-than-elegantly let them know what i thought of them in the form of a barrage of gestures) the bass would probably have been trashed, so thats something. also very glad my car shifts, or i'd have been telling a very different story right now!

it was also pretty cool to hear comments about my hitchhikers thumbs that weren't "oh my god, your thumbs are so weird - ewwww, gross". see, i knew i'd fit in with them somewhere, some day. so thanks for that!

highlights for me were generally meeting everyone, and perhaps those of you i didn't get to chat to much this time, i'll get next time around :). the meal afterwards was really great, hopefully next time more of us can stay for dinner.

as a fledgeling bassist, it was amazing to have the opportunity to watch some incredible playing, and try so many gorgeous basses out myself. thankyou to everyone for that.

oh, and the sandwiches.... the SANDWICHES!

cheers for the magazines, too. hope my new bookshelves arrive soon :huh:.

looking forward to the next time!

x

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='167755' date='Apr 1 2008, 03:31 PM']What did you make of my Vigier Mewsie?

It suited you very well![/quote]

quite a few people said that, actually. perhaps i should respect everyones opinion and get one. wouldn't want to appear rude.

i loved it, luke!

x

[quote name='OldGit' post='167776' date='Apr 1 2008, 03:56 PM']What was that one with the gold fingerboard? Can you flash the audience with it like Lynotts scratch plate? :)[/quote]

Yes you can! In fact the first time I played it live, some bloke said it looked like I was playing a light sabre! It is a fretless with a fingerboard made from a mixture of brass and zinc. It also had 24carat gold plated strings to match - they are actually very good on the bass, though they don't suit the fretted at all. The benefit of the fingerboard is that you can use roundwounds with no problems. It also has one of John East's U-retro Deluxe pre-amps in it which makes it very flexible, even for slap as I am sure you saw on Sunday!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='167995' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:00 PM']Yes you can! In fact the first time I played it live, some bloke said it looked like I was playing a light sabre! It is a fretless with a fingerboard made from a mixture of brass and zinc. It also had 24carat gold plated strings to match - they are actually very good on the bass, though they don't suit the fretted at all. The benefit of the fingerboard is that you can use roundwounds with no problems. It also has one of John East's U-retro Deluxe pre-amps in it which makes it very flexible, even for slap as I am sure you saw on Sunday!

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Oooooooh!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='168587' date='Apr 2 2008, 04:39 PM']Tell me more good sir!

Next time I will bring the Alembics....! And the other two Pangborns![/quote]

Surely they will all be for sale now you have your prize from sunday?

:)

[quote name='ped' post='168656' date='Apr 2 2008, 06:24 PM']Boys and their toys! I like the new avatar pic Nick!! lol it just needs you grinning over the fence![/quote]
Be still No. 3, unless you wish to feel the flap of my finest silken whitework! :)

Aha!

I nearly had bass #53 today but twas not to be....!

Kiwi - are there any piccies of your gould-of-geoffrey-garbed vessel of distillation anywhere for I to peruse? My hanky is poised....was that you or an aged Boy George in the pic!?

Ped - glad you like the avatar!

Merton - many thanks! I'd swap me red one for your lovely Retro...!

Old Git - good to meetcha at the bash!

Nick (terminal gas sufferer)

#53? Was that an Alembic or Vigier?

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='168803' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:46 PM']Kiwi - are there any piccies of your gould-of-geoffrey-garbed vessel of distillation anywhere for I to peruse? My hanky is poised....was that you or an aged Boy George in the pic!?[/quote]

Its just what I wear around the house to relax. I do a bit of capering and cajoling when I'm in the mood too. :)

If you check out my website you'll see pics and sound samples. There's a link to it on my BC profile but you can also click [url="http://www.freewebs.com/crazykiwi_bass/mybasses.htm"]here[/url]. It needs updating since last week though.

Nice, I've had a lot of very good comments about the new addition, and I must say that I am now a proud Vigier owner. Its a cracking bass and delivers pretty much everthing I could ever need from a bass.

Kiwi - Love the Cutless 1 (the black one) - so far it is the only MM bass I have been able to play for more than 10 mins without putting it down, its really comfortable to play. Sound wise its very close to a stingray as you would expect, and I would be very happy if I owned one!

OldGit - Great to finally meet you and your Shuker Precision is fantastic - just what a 5 string P bass should be like, sounded great, played great, and when I put it through my POD and Dood's Epifani UL610 it sounded MONSTROUS!

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='169062' date='Apr 3 2008, 01:09 PM']Nice, I've had a lot of very good comments about the new addition, and I must say that I am now a proud Vigier owner. Its a cracking bass and delivers pretty much everthing I could ever need from a bass.

Kiwi - Love the Cutless 1 (the black one) - so far it is the only MM bass I have been able to play for more than 10 mins without putting it down, its really comfortable to play. Sound wise its very close to a stingray as you would expect, and I would be very happy if I owned one!

OldGit - Great to finally meet you and your Shuker Precision is fantastic - just what a 5 string P bass should be like, sounded great, played great, and when I put it through my POD and Dood's Epifani UL610 it sounded MONSTROUS![/quote]

Nice of you to say so. It sounded great being played by everyone else - that is such a rare thing to experience, usually it's kids having a go through my practice amp :)
kiwi and 'Nik, yes I came away having forgotten to try about 20 of the basses I intended to... next time I'll just get on with it :huh: