Why become a member? ×

Bass bash-- Top gig!

The Burpster

Thanks to all that went and lent support.

Big thanks to Ped for selling tickets.. Lots of patience that man!

great to meet those of you that I did get chance to, and sorry I left early (thoat infection got the better of me).

Big up to those wot organised it and great time had by all ( well me anyway!)

:)

[quote name='birdy' post='166452' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:59 PM']I have just got back as well. Great afternoon and a big thanks to the organisers.

Just when I thought I was gas free.......[/quote]

HA! You think YOU have problems! Do you have any idea what you did to me? Huh?! Huh?!

It was a lot of fun, and free food. Does it get any better?

Many thanks to all who organised this event! It was great to put some names to some faces, to hear so many talented musicians, to slobber uncontrolably over some top notch gear and instruments. Top afternoon out and will definitely be at the next one!

:)

+1 to all of the above

I had a great time, was wonderful to put so many faces to all the names. Thanks also to all those who kindly and willingly handed over their basses for general 'consumption' over the course of the day, twas a real privilege to play some of those instruments. Also helped me to lay some long running hankerings to rest; there are quite a few basses I now know are not for me.

My favourite basses of the day were:

Alex Claber's RIM custom, that had a beautiful woody, earthy, growly tone whilst also being able to cut through the *ahem* noise surrounding us; and

Nick's (dr.bass?) status with natural finished wooden wings, that had killer slap tone [i]and[/i] killer fingerstyle tone without [i]any[/i] changes to the eq, [i]despite[/i] the strings being 'too thin'. What a bass :)

What basses did you guys favour?

Mark

[quote name='budget bassist' post='166443' date='Mar 30 2008, 06:45 PM']Shame i couldn't make it, couldn't get there, maybe in nottingham next year guys? :)
You might know me better then anyways haha[/quote]

There is a plan for a bash somewhere Nottinghamish sometime, I will check and let you know.

Steve

[quote name='mcgraham' post='166501' date='Mar 30 2008, 07:55 PM']What basses did you guys favour?

Mark[/quote]

Top bass for me was CK's Celinder Jazz. Super playable with immense tone.

I was also impressed with the Markbass F1 Head and all the Bergy gear that Mark from Bassdirect bought along.

Urb's Boss looper was very interesting as well. I had never really 'got' what they did before but Mike was kind enough to show me what it was capable of in the right hands!!

Also, I 'played' the double bass that Roger (apologies if I have your name wrong, so many faces) bought along and enjoyed that.

PS a big thanks to Woodenshirt also for the sarnies!!

Steve

Edited by birdy

What a great day! Thanks to Ped's organisation (surely you had helpers?) and Woodenshirt's industrial quantities of sarnies. I was reunited with OBBM after thirty years and I didn't even realize he played bass. And Skywalker lent me an Oscar Peterson CD. With friends like these........

I remarked uncharitably that it was just like a wedding - you couldn't hear yourself speak and the band was crap. Only joking, honest!

Fav guitar was Tonyf's blue sparkle Modulus Flea,
Fav amp was the Thunderfunk 750 & Dr.Bass cabs Robbie had there - made my P sound frickin wonderful!

I dug Nash's Sunn amp through Dood's 6x10 aswell.

The GAS is making me feel ill!!!

Edited by jonthebass

CK and Jon Shuker discuss their secret plans for world domination

The following picture is entitled "Respect Is Due" :)

In the stripey shirt is the legendary John East of J-Retro fame

Basses of the day for me: the maple singlecut five that Jon Shuker turned up with, and CK's awesome Celinder Jazz.
Oh, and the good Doctor's gorgeous Pangborn Warlord... a lovely slice of 80s retro in wood form ;) Now I remember why I so very nearly bought one back in '86 :huh:
Amp of the day? Gotta be that Sunn..!