Why become a member? ×

David Bowie live on TOTPs

PaulWarning

anybody watch top of the pops last night? rare David Bowie footage playing the Gene Genie live, absolutely brilliant mix,full of life, you can hear what the bass players doing, why can't studio recordings sound like that insteadof having all the life processed out of them?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1324560097' post='1475582']
Saw it,,,what I want to know is...how come it is acceptable for the camera man to have his own copies stashed at home... and he says he has others..!!

Homework...???
[/quote]
That's probably why it's took so long to surface, who knows how much vintage stuff is stored away which has got there by dubious means, but with the TV companies wiping tapes clean it's just as well, offer an amnesty to everybody that's got dodgy recordings stashed away, who knows what gems will be revealed

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1324560097' post='1475582']
Saw it,,,what I want to know is...how come it is acceptable for the camera man to have his own copies stashed at home... and he says he has others..!!

Homework...???
[/quote]

I've known John Henshall, the cameraman concerned, for many many years. While he was at the BBC he started developing optical effects - special lenses - of which the Fish Eye used in this clip was one of his first. He eventually left the BBC and started his own company. He obtained a copy of the tape as the effect was his creation and no doubt he did not charge the BBC of the use of the lense so a copy of that sequence was fair recompense.

Videotape for 2-inch bradcast VTRs was very expensive and someone in BBC management decided that they could save money by wiping and re-using tapes. Thousands of hours of unique television got destroyed in this process. It will be interesting to see what else he has hidden away.

One of our local jammers spends some of his spare time researching and tracking down lost footage from that era. This is one of his finds, so thanks Ray.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1324560987' post='1475600']
I've known John Henshall, the cameraman concerned, for many many years. While he was at the BBC he started developing optical effects - special lenses - of which the Fish Eye used in this clip was one of his first. He eventually left the BBC and started his own company. He obtained a copy of the tape as the effect was his creation and no doubt he did not charge the BBC of the use of the lense so a copy of that sequence was fair recompense.

Videotape for 2-inch bradcast VTRs was very expensive and someone in BBC management decided that they could save money by wiping and re-using tapes. Thousands of hours of unique television got destroyed in this process. It will be interesting to see what else he has hidden away.

One of our local jammers spends some of his spare time researching and tracking down lost footage from that era. This is one of his finds, so thanks Ray.
[/quote]

Indeed - that's what I'd heard. Wanted it for a show reel for his lenses or something like that?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1324574449' post='1475843']
is it just me though but does TB occasionally go into the chorus refrain early? Not that it matters as it fits harmonically but if it is then it's an even better representation of 'live' music! :D
[/quote]

Yep, he did....

Still an enjoyable watch though.

Garry

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1324574449' post='1475843']
Only listened through that once and it's great to hear genuine live recordings... is it just me though but does TB occasionally go into the chorus refrain early? Not that it matters as it fits harmonically but if it is then it's an even better representation of 'live' music! :D
[/quote]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1324577124' post='1475897']
Yep, he did....

Still an enjoyable watch though.

Garry
[/quote]

He actually does this at least once on the studio version too.

Sounds like he comes back into the chorus too quickly, too at around 3.08... but, yes, anything by Bowie before or around that time was outstanding. Live Ziggy stuff was incredible. His voice had power and a quality to it that he lost IMO by the late 70s

Great clip and well done that man for finding it. T B gets a fantastic sound from that EB but I tried to clock the amp head. Was it a Marshall guitar head or did the bass heads look the same as the guitar heads?

Very dodgy wig/sidebreezers combo though.

Jez