- - - - -

The New Avengers Opening Titles . cool bass line

17 replies to this topic

#1 daz

The Bass playing Welder, Flame on!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars, Welding, messing about in my shed. Golf. Reading books, and listening to audio books.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:57 AM

Another in my series of impossible to find bass tabs/notation/anything! here is The New Avengers theme music it starts at around 30 seconds in. Listen to it its pretty cool and definately imposible to find any way of finding out the bass line for a non reader like me. I have tried my best at picking the bass out by ear and cant get anywhere near it. Can anyone help ?

My Feedback

Bass guitars with more than 4 strings
Questioner: How come you never play a 5 or 6 stringer Billy?
Billy Sheehan: "I dont need one, I have my hipshot for lower notes, and I can go to harmonics for higher notes"
Questioner: "do you own any"?
Billy Sheehan: " yes I have two or three, though rarely use them outside an ocassional studio set piece"
"I dont like to use them unless I really have to, as when a guy takes a 5 or 6 string bass into the studio, you see the engineers and producers, sighing and shaking their heads" :) (Smiles)
Billy Sheehan: " I have nothing whatseover against 5 or 6 string basses. I just belive that guys dont give themselves a proper chance on the 4 stringer first."
Questioner: How long is 'a proper chance'?
Billy Sheehan: " At least 20 years" (not smiling here, being serious)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 bobbass4k

84% sarcasm by volume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

It'ss tricky cos it's really flat, tuned to well below 440 (at least to my ears), this sounds pretty decent to me:

G:-----------6-4---------:
D:-----------------6-4---:
A:-4-444-4-----------7-:
E:-------------------------:

That's tuned about 40 cents flat, tune about as low as your tuner will go and still be the same note and it should sound more or less right.

#3 Gunsfreddy2003

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • Interests:Funky music!

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:14 AM

There was a really good cover of this tune by Snowboy and the Latin Section, you may find that on the web or itunes etc.

View Postdaz, on 23 December 2011 - 04:57 AM, said:

Another in my series of impossible to find bass tabs/notation/anything! here is The New Avengers theme music it starts at around 30 seconds in. Listen to it its pretty cool and definately imposible to find any way of finding out the bass line for a non reader like me. I have tried my best at picking the bass out by ear and cant get anywhere near it. Can anyone help ?

1974 Fender Jazz Bass (with East j-retro pre-amp)
1977 Pre EB Stingray
2011 Musicman Stingray Classic 5 (with East 3 band pre-amp)
GB Rumour 5 string
Mark Bass Little Mark III
Bergantino HT112ER
Bergantino EX112ER
EBS Reidmar
EBS Neo 2x12
Akai Deep Impact
TC Electronics Polytune
TC Electronics Corona Chorus
MusiTronics Mu-Tron III
Boss OC-2
Aguilar Filter Twin
Cables by George L and pedalboard by Pedaltrain

http://www.soularfunk.co.uk

My Feedback

#4 daz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars, Welding, messing about in my shed. Golf. Reading books, and listening to audio books.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

View Postbobbass4k, on 23 December 2011 - 05:25 AM, said:

That's tuned about 40 cents flat, tune about as low as your tuner will go and still be the same note and it should sound more or less right.

maybe it was played on a fretless bass or a double bass ?
My Feedback

Billy Sheehan: "I dont need one, I have my hipshot for lower notes, and I can go to harmonics for higher notes"
Billy Sheehan: " yes I have two or three, though rarely use them outside an ocassional studio set piece"
"I dont like to use them unless I really have to, as when a guy takes a 5 or 6 string bass into the studio, you see the engineers and producers, sighing and shaking their heads" :) (Smiles)
Billy Sheehan: " I have nothing whatseover against 5 or 6 string basses. I just belive that guys dont give themselves a proper chance on the 4 stringer first."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 bobbass4k

84% sarcasm by volume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:09 AM

View Postdaz, on 23 December 2011 - 07:03 AM, said:

maybe it was played on a fretless bass or a double bass ?

Maybe but it sounds in tune with the song, they might have all tuned to an off tuned piano, or it might have been rerecorded at a slightly lower speed, apparently that was quite common with in the old days of tape.

#6 BurritoBass

Rock 'n' Rolla

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,928 posts
  • Interests:Country, Soul, Rock 'n' Roll, The 50s, 60s & 70s

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

I swear it was theme tunes like this one that planted the seed in the back of my mind about me playing bass :)

50s Squier tele bass with Flatwound strings into an Ampeg Portaflex rig

European Blonde Doghouse bass with Gut-a-Like strings

CaseHardin are a Clubhouse Records Artist. Check out our critically acclaimed albums "PM" & "Every Dirty Mirror" on Amazon, on iTunes and see us live too

The Jimmy Sixes play rock 'n' roll / jump blues / rockabilly and perform around Hampshire / Berkshire / Wiltshire

BassChat Terms & Conditions - - - Forum Behaviour Guidelines - - - Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

My Orange Terror Bass head for sale on Basschat - http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1

#7 daz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

View Postbobbass4k, on 23 December 2011 - 07:09 AM, said:

Maybe but it sounds in tune with the song, they might have all tuned to an off tuned piano, or it might have been rerecorded at a slightly lower speed, apparently that was quite common with in the old days of tape.

It was recorded by the Laurie Johnson Orchestra, who were one of the worlds top orchestras of the time for recording all sorts of theme tunes and film scores.
Here is one of his many albums
My Feedback

#8 Happy Jack

I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated (yeah)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

Almost certainly "varispeeded". A very common technique in recording studios in the 60's and 70's, and the source of enormous frustration for covers band musicians ever since. The Beatles were particularly notorious for this.

A perfect example is the song Revolution. Listen to the album version (The White Album) and you get a stately pace played in A. For the single they wanted a rather rockier version which they recorded, but it didn't feel right so they speeded it up unti it did feel right. It's now in A#-and-a-half. :lol:
Feedback +++ YouTube Channel +++ Junkyard Dogs +++ Dani Molino +++ Karena Kelly +++ King Ralph

There is no "way to Happy-ness". Happy-ness IS the way.

#9 Monckyman

Recidivist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

Definitely on my "inspired youth" list.
Perhaps knowing a leather clad Lumley would soon appear helped.

Fender-Ampeg

Feedback here>http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1407853

#10 ahpook

hansome bearded ex-librarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

View Postbobbass4k, on 23 December 2011 - 05:25 AM, said:

It'ss tricky cos it's really flat, tuned to well below 440 (at least to my ears), this sounds pretty decent to me:

A:-4-444-4-----------7-:

this is how i play it too :)

brilliant tune.

#11 daz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

View Postahpook, on 23 December 2011 - 01:35 PM, said:

this is how i play it too :)

brilliant tune.

what about the bit at around 50 seconds where it moves up the scale for several bars ?
My Feedback

#12 YouMa

My mum was in shakatak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

Theme from jason king is better laurie johnson did this as well.

#13 ahpook

hansome bearded ex-librarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

View Postdaz, on 23 December 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

what about the bit at around 50 seconds where it moves up the scale for several bars ?

i try to act natural, but failing that, smile and act convincing

:)

#14 Blademan_98

The Underdogs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:Playing Bass and riding bikes. Probably not at the same time......

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

View Postahpook, on 23 December 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

i try to act natural, but failing that, smile and act convincing

:)

Ah, the old 'look professional' stance...... :lol:
Fender Jazz
Squier Jazz Fretless
Hohner Headless

http://www.lemonrock.com/underdogs

#15 daz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

View PostYouMa, on 23 December 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

Theme from jason king is better laurie johnson did this as well.

Surely that was by Geoff Love & orchestra and very pedestrian effort compared to the Department S theme which itself was not IMHO as good as the original avengers theme :)

Edited by daz, 23 December 2011 - 04:57 PM.

My Feedback

#16 mentalextra

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Playing around with bass guitars
    Selling used cars for a living

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

Has anyone else noticed the nice little bass bits that are used as incidental music on the old series "The Sweeney".
Sweeping generalisations a speciality!

#17 geofio

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:music, travel, photography, computers. rickenbacker basses, Current Equipment- RICKENBACKER 4003 JETGLO 2013. RICKENBACKER 4003 WALNUT LIMITED EDITION 2014, ROLAND JUPITER 80, MOOG TAURUS PEDALS, VARIOUS SOFT SYNTHS, APPLE MAC COMPUTER.LEXICON IONIX 810S FIRE WIRE AUDIO INTERFACE.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

it was actually Herbie flowers that played the bass on that theme as well as others like the professionals the group laurie Johnson used was the Blue mink club. he has taken part in over 500 recordings for tv etc he also wrote the tune for the novelty hit Grandad for clive dunn. talented man. he used a 1960 jazz bass.

Edited by geofio, 22 October 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#18 Mattmit

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

im not sure cos i'm at work right now but i think the avengers thing is

A:-4-444-7-----------6-:

at least on some loops