Why become a member? ×

Van Zalinge Z Bass

Dr H

Hi Everyone
I've been visiting a fair bit, but I'm a relative newbie here.
I thought that I'd post some images of my Van Zalinge Z bass (originally purchased as an ex demo model from the BUCA bv showroom in Bussum in 1986).
It's one of the production models (rather than one of the dozen or so instruments hand crafted by Henk Van Zalinge), but lovely quality.
It's fairly basic - simple jack socket, plug and play with a Z transducer (Polytone type).
Still my darling after all these years - wouldn't consider selling her.
Does anybody else on the Forum have one to share?

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1325278201' post='1481770']
Thanks for the photos - never seen one up close. Interesting to see a laminated bridge....was that an original fitting? Have you ever been tempted to try a more modern pickup?
[/quote]

Thanks for your interest BassBod.

It's all stock - including the adjustable bridge (see the H. van Zalinge stamp).
I've never felt the need to change the pickup, it's a beautiful, dark, swelling sustained sound - think 'Moon over Bourbon Street' on Dream of the Blue Turtles - which is achieved with a stereo chorus or much of the double tracked lines on Zenyatta Mondatta.
Then, I always used a Polytone pickup/Polytone Minibrute combination on my acoustic double basses so it was a natural progression.

Despite the limited soundbox, it's also quite loud unplugged - easily on a par with my Eko electric/acoustic bass and perfectly loud enough for practice.

The only drawback is that the tone needs to be shortened a little for some genres (used to play some trad jazz when I was younger) when a mute/damper is useful.

[quote name='Soliloquy' timestamp='1325276926' post='1481740']
I always wanted one of these after seeing Sting with his. They're great looking instruments, just the sort of thing I like.
[/quote]

Thanks Soliloquy.
I know where you're coming from.
I was a massive fan of The Police and determined to get one of these after seeing it in a Melody Maker article on the recording of Zenyatta Mondatta in Hilversum.
I tracked down the company was selling them and approached them directly for an ex demo version (about 40% the price of the new one). Had to sell two beginner's basses (Hohner P and J basses) and add some money, but well worth it and never looked back...

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1325279904' post='1481801']
That is one beautiful bass......

Perhaps you could record something and post it so we can hear it too?

Just a thought :)
[/quote]

Thanks Blademan, I think she's a beaut too :gas: .
Will do my best to post something - will need to get my chops together first though (too rusty :unsure: )

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Sting famously used it in Moon Over Bourbon Street - and I though it sounded fantastic...until I got used to the sound and tone of a really good acoustic double bass and now listening to Sting with Christan McBride playing Consider me Gone - is now what I consider a really good bass sound!

• 1 month later...