Why become a member? ×

ideal pedal board

Dread Bass

[quote name='Chezz55' post='1354' date='May 18 2007, 12:42 PM']I'm quite happy with bass guitar + amp + speakers and a few leads.[/quote]

I'm much the same, though I do take my Boss Syb 3 to gigs every now and again... and maybe a fuzz! And an envelope filter! OK, the GAS fairy cometh.

What do people use as a boost for solos? I usually have my guitar volume down a few notches for normal playing then just turn up for solos, but then it might be cool to have something that kicks in a whole bunch of mids, an EQ pedal perhaps.

I really only want a compressor. I was using a joe Meek MQ3 but its not tough enough for live. I bought a Bass PODxt live. Its just mental to figure out and I really only want it for the soundalike amps. Recently I've been playing with the Auto Wah though.

Plusses:- built like a tank, Vol pedal is handy. Its got more on it than you need.
Minuses:- Difficult to tweek on the fly, Its got more on it than you want.

My current set up is almost my ideal setup.

Barge RC2, bluebeard, zoom uf-01, barber LTD, VBF2.

Got a custom loop in the works which is gonna be awesome for what i want it to do. Gassing for a CE-2 as well. I should get a pedal board to tidy up a bit, but I can't be bothered at the mo!!

Cheers bro! :) I'm loving it mainly for the three gain stages - LTD to UF-01 to BB, it kills and the variety on offer covers all areas I need on that front. I've pretty much exhausted my grit cravings so perhaps you're right on the modulation front. That's why I was thinking CE2, as it's quite subtle and in places would blend right into my style and requirements.

At the moment I'm running:

DHA Purist > Pigtronix EP-1 > MXR Auto Q > Analogman Chorus > Boss DD-20 > tech 21 Bass compactor.

The Pigtronix is on the out even though having the Pig and the auto Q on together makes some really intresting sounds, but think i could get similar off a phaser infront. Id really like a reasonable Synth in there but as of yet havnt really had a chance to try any to great length and dont want to shell out stupid money for a deep impact. Havnt really used the compactor since I'v had my ACG as the preamps great. I dont really know where Im going with my FX tbh lol. Think I'll replace the pig with a phaser, get a tuner pedal at long last and hunt for a synth then I'll be close to an ideal set up.

My DT10 which I bought about 3 months ago died last week in practice after literally about 10 uses. Trouble is, I can't for the life of me remember where online I bought it from and I've lost the receipt. DOH! They're fine tuners, but I'm quite gutted that mine died after such a short and infrequent amount of use. I'm not sure whether to get another in the long run. Perhaps I was just very unlucky as by most accounts they're reliable and gig worthy.

Just dropped some cash on a ISP decimator to tame the slight feedback I get from the BB in between tracks etc. Hopefully it will do it's job well. The only thing I'm worried about is how it performs in bypass mode. So I may end up exclusively putting the BB and ISP in the loop of the VBF2 for bypass reasons.

So my signal chain will be - DT10>RC2>LTD>UF01>VBF2>BB>ISP

Next on the GAS list : CE-2 :)

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='5659' date='May 24 2007, 12:38 PM']1 tuner
1 compressor
FX:
1 filter/wah
1 distortion + boost
1 modulation

Choose them very carefully, develop your own way of applying them and you have a signature sound.
Much more than this and you have an identity problem (sound-wise at least) :huh:[/quote]

Look at the bassists that we all like. They all do what you said - so it must be true, right? :)

Although, I disagree with "too many".

• 9 years later...

my word, this thread has been brought back from the dead!!!

but I'll play... :)

this is my board, and it has been the same for about 18 months, since the current band really got going, which much be a record!

I'd love to try a harmony pedal or octave up but other than that, for the current band, I'm really happy with this setup (I should be, I've tried enough pedals to reach this point!)

I still use a stupid amount of pedals when I'm in the studio, but for live I've always liked keeping it simple, relatively speaking. So to answer the question posed 9 years ago, I reckon I have close to my ideal setup, for live. Though generally, there are always more pedals to buy / try!! :)

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1482448313' post='3200769']
mine:
tuner
OC-2
} fill in this bit with loads of lovely Earthquaker devices....
TC flashback delay
reverb - maybe?
TC Nova Dynamics
looper (EHX 360 - one knob goes all the way to '11').
[/quote]

I have to say, if you're pondering over a reverb, and some EQD goodness... dispatch master is one of my all time favourites, though I'd love to try an avalanche run... brexit is not pedalboard friendly though!!!

Mine is only two pedals so I'm sure that most would argue it is pointless. However it is MY board so whether anyone would approve or not is fairly irrelevant. I'd never used pedals before but heard such good things about the Tech 21 VT bass... and I do like to silently check my tuning.

[url="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Tim_73/media/PedalBoard_zps3jgp7yfh.jpg.html"][/url]