Why become a member? ×

Remarkably pointless question

Cantdosleepy

'Bass' - like the fish.

My topic rules!

In future I will describe my amps not by the speaker configuration, but by the total surface area, expressed in functions of pi.

So a one-by-fifteen would obviously be 7.5²[size=4][font="Times New Roman"]π[/font][/size]"

I'd obviously prefer a 50[size=4][font="Times New Roman"]π[/font][/size]" array. Stacked vertically, naturally.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='17620' date='Jun 14 2007, 02:59 PM']In future I will describe my amps not by the speaker configuration, but by the total surface area, expressed in functions of pi.[/quote]

Ummmmmmmmmm Pi!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='17534' date='Jun 14 2007, 12:28 PM']Exactly - it's an Italian name, like Bergantino - stress on the penultimate syllable.

Is Aguilar pronounced the Spanish way or anglicised?

And Alembic is a.LEM-bik, I believe.

How do you say Skjold?

Alex[/quote]
I say it Skyold.
I also say two by ten.

For me, multiple speakers (e.g. 2x10) are 2-by-10, whereas single speakers (e.g. 1x15) are one-fifteen.

Eh-pee-FAW-nee? hmmm sounds pretty crap to my ears :huh: Although I expect they think my surname sounds pretty stupid too :huh:
Think I'll stick with 'eh-PIH-funnee' unless I ever meet one of them :)

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='17450' date='Jun 14 2007, 11:08 AM']Hartke - Har-keee[/quote]Blimey, I'd always used 'Har-kuh'. I stand corrected. :huh:

For what it's worth:

Pedulla: accent on the second syllable and rhyme with "duller". In order to be pronounced 'dyulla' or 'dyoola', it would need to have only one letter L

Epifani: as Alex Claber says, it's Italian, so accent (and lengthen) the penultimate syllable: "Epi-[i]FAAA[/i]-ni" Just think of it as something you'd order from an Italian restaurant.

Behringer: with a soft 'G' - but I try not to say that one at all if I can help it.

Nah Nah--- It's Ibanez-pronounced EEE - Bon - Ay - BUT I say Eye bun EZZ! & 2 10, 6 10, 1 15 ,
Out in OZ we all say fings diffrent. Like sitting on a lounge chair- we call the whole room a lounge room-pronounced...Lay- unj. But Epic fanny IS still epic phany!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='17534' date='Jun 14 2007, 12:28 PM']Exactly - it's an Italian name, like Bergantino - stress on the penultimate syllable.

Is Aguilar pronounced the Spanish way or anglicised?

And Alembic is a.LEM-bik, I believe.

How do you say Skjold?

Alex[/quote]

Skjold = Shold - like shoulder without the er.

Neodymium is one that took me ages to grasp.

Neo-dim-e-um

Warwick = wo-rick. Americans just insist on pronouncing it War-wick!

Here is a company I will dealing with as their UK agent, any ideas?

"Jerzy Drozd"

Regards
Mark

[quote name='ste_m3' post='17145' date='Jun 13 2007, 07:40 PM']Aha, ive always had a few issues with how to say some manufactures names! like...

Pedulla... Pedyula or pedyoola
Behringer... Bay-Ring-er or Ber-inj-er
Epifani... Epi-Fanny or Epi-farn-ee[/quote]

I always thought Pedulla rhymes with Medulla (as in Oblongata) i.e. [i]peh-Doo-la[/i]? Don't know how Mike Pedulla says his name, or how Epifani says their company name, but I have to disagree about the origin of that one. It's an alternative spelling of Epiphany, which can be traced back to ancient Greek, and is usually pronounced [i]eh-Pih-fah-nee[/i]. :)

Edited by bnt

[quote name='dood' post='18210' date='Jun 15 2007, 12:32 PM']Larry says hart-kee on his voicemail ;o)[/quote]

Then that's what I'm going to say. To whom, I'm not sure.

Two-ten, four-ten, one-fifteen.

Peh-dulla
Skyold
Eye-ben-ez
Beh-rin-jer
Eh-piff-ani
A-lem-bik
Ag-wee-lar (maybe ag-yoo-lar?)

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='66766' date='Sep 28 2007, 10:00 AM']Then that's what I'm going to say. To whom, I'm not sure.

Two-ten, four-ten, one-fifteen.

Peh-dulla
Skyold
Eye-ben-ez
Beh-rin-jer
Eh-piff-ani
A-lem-bik
Ag-wee-lar (maybe ag-yoo-lar?)[/quote]

I would agree with all of the above except it is "Shold" :)

[quote name='NJW' post='16990' date='Jun 13 2007, 04:08 PM']Where there is a will, there's a way... Tell that to Buzz next time you see him at the tailors, having his jib cut![/quote]
Jewish tailors? :)

[quote name='poptart' post='65429' date='Sep 25 2007, 04:49 PM']Here is a company I will dealing with as their UK agent, any ideas?
"Jerzy Drozd"[/quote]
If the name is Polish in origin then it might not have the correct accent mark. You'd normally use a soft zhhhh sound which isn't used in English pronounciation, but its the same sound as in Zhivago. If there was a dot over the z then the sound would be a little harder.

Jerzy = Jerzhy
Drozd = Drozhd

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='17620' date='Jun 14 2007, 02:59 PM']'Bass' - like the fish.[/quote]

:) :huh:

Or like the shandy!

fifteen
eighteen
two-ten
four-ten
six-by-ten
eight-by-ten

heart-key

wha-rick (wha as in what)

gallien-kruger (as in Spanish Gallion and Freddie Krueger)

Edited by Pikefloyd

two by twelve, four by ten, er..... twenty four by five'n a'half (PJB)

but I guess our American BassChatters would be inclined to jumble the numbers up to completely confuse us all like they do with dates!

edit: oh yeah, and a mate of mine says Lake-land instead of Lack-land, that's not right is it?

Edited by bassmandan

Behringer - Beh-rin-ger (the 'g' as in 'gold')

They are a German company, the 'j' sound, I believe, is more so a case of 'if that's the way you want to say it then fine - as log as you buy the stuff we don't care', of course you could argue that 'Behringer' in English is pronounced 'j' like.

To compare - cars: Porsche, would you sound the 'e' on the end? - if not then fine use the 'j' for Behringer, personally whilst living in Switzerland I could never accept seeing a sweet XJS being called a 'yaguar' :)

Myself, I prefer to say 'Ampeg' rather then 'Behringer' (if only funds would allow) :huh: