Why become a member? ×

Help: Alternative to Tascam Bass Trainer?

Beedster

Hi all
I'm about to ask TFMB to buy me one of the above for my be'day, She's getting fed up with my frantic Flea impressions played at ear shattering volume - apparently - along with the hifi. So it's more for her really!
Is the Tascam still state of the art as far as a bass trainer goes, or are there newer and better options?
Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris

There's the Boss Micro BR and Tascam's MP3 version of the guitar trainer. Rumour has it Tascam will be making a bass specific version of this which should be excellent but the current Tascam Bass Trainer Mk II is pretty good also. You can use CDs or use a MP3 player as an input source.

S

Edited by Muppet

[quote name='Muppet' post='16958' date='Jun 13 2007, 03:30 PM']Hey Chris

There's the Boss Micro BR and Tascam's MP3 version of the guitar trainer. Rumour has it Tascam will be making a bass specific version of this which should be excellent but the current Tascam Bass Trainer Mk II is pretty good also. You can use CDs or use a MP3 player as an input source.

S[/quote]

The recommendation of a penguin is always good enough for me Steve! It's been ordered, many thanks
Chris

I couldn't live without my CD-BT1, it's indespensible to me. I use it every night for practise, so the amp can stay under the stairs. No-one can hear me, and I can play all day long without bothering anyone. If mine went kaput, I'd order another the same day. I have a case with it that has built in battery operated speakers, ok, they're a bit crap, but ok for fiddling out loud if you need to, not with a band though!! Generally I jam along to CDs on it, but you can plug an ipod into it and jam along to that too.

Edited by Rayman

Chris I flogged my CD BT 1 MkII to get the Boss Micro br.....

ABSOLUTELY the right move my basses sunded aneamic thru teh Tascam but with good headphones the Micro is spot on..... puls it has effects and does all the stuff the Tascam does PLUS 4 track recorder............

No brainer......

[quote name='The Burpster' post='17168' date='Jun 13 2007, 08:12 PM']Chris I flogged my CD BT 1 MkII to get the Boss Micro br.....
ABSOLUTELY the right move my basses sunded aneamic thru teh Tascam but with good headphones the Micro is spot on..... puls it has effects and does all the stuff the Tascam does PLUS 4 track recorder............
No brainer......[/quote]

can it "remove" the Bass from a mp3 you're playing back? That's the only question I have about it as it appears to be aimed at guitar players in the literature.

MB1......

BIG +1 for your above comment!

Paul, it has a 'midrange cut' that removes a bit too much midrange, and makes the whole track sound s++te...... You can however boost the input by upto 3db which effectivly does the same..... Better still just use your bass in active and you can play over the MP3 easily.....

I didnt get on with the 'bass cut' facility on the Tascam as it cuts the drums with it....... I know that at times its no bad thing as drummers can be unpredcitable wee beasties...... :)

However the whole point (for me anyway) of playing with the music is the work out the relationships of the rythym section.... which makes it a bit tricky if teh machine cuts 2/3rds of it out...

Plus my other big bug bear of the Tascam is the pitch of the music on the CD stays the same (alledgedly) but the bass input pitch tends to fluctuate making you unsure of the tuning of your axe ......

I may have had a Friday afternoon one, but its not a patch on the Boss IMO.....

Thanks guys, very helpful stuff. All my music's on CD so I got the Tascam, and I have to say I'm over the moon with it. Got a touch of the Bryan Adams "played it 'til my fingers bled" today, in fact, the tendons on the nack of my right hand no longer function either! I know it's always a matter of taste and style, but my basses sound great through it, I was to be honest really surprised. Highly recommended, especally as - no doubt due to the march of nanotechnology - the price is dropping pretty bloody quickly
Cheers
Chris