Why become a member? ×

Get Your Kit Out

Doctor J

Who else can keep a beat?

Here's mine, an old Pearl Export kit (22", 11", 12", 16" - proper 80's sizes :lol: ) I bought off the drummer in my first real band. I upgraded to a Pearl Masters 14" birch snare about ten years ago though the original Export steel snare sounded great, it kept detuning. Cymbals are Sabian AA apart from the XS crash and HH Ride.

Looks great - I'd love a kit at home, but I've been told I've got to wait until we get a house with a garage that I can soundproof!

Occasionally dabble on the drums, but being a lefty I very rarely get my hands on a kit the 'right' way round for me! The drummer I've been playing with for the last 12 months has a beautiful Pearl Masters MCX (in red sparkle, tasty!) that I get to have the occasional rattle on. I quiet often get bruised legs from my home drumming practice, really should get a practice pad instead!!

Here you go. At one time it took pride of place in the lounge, you can just see it on the right...
[attachment=96563:DSC_0078.JPG]
and here's the missus ably demonstrating it using pencils as drumsticks - It was a real 'hit' with the neighbours!
[attachment=96564:DSC_0079.JPG]
Sadly it has now been relegated to the loft to make way for a dining table that we sit at once a year :rolleyes:

Very nice. Like the finish. Not particularly keen on those short toms myself, I prefer the sustain you get with deeper ones. That concert tom on the left looks quite interesting and the cymbals are very nice as well. What I would say is that I remember I used to have the beaters on the plastic side in order to increase the attack, but the real trick is to lower the tuning which gives you the higher pitched "attack" of the kick drum, without using the hard plastic surface that can wear away at the head and which IMO doesn't really sound quite as good. But yeah, pretty good. I remember looking at getting a superstar as my first kit but I thought the used starclassic was too good to pass up really :)

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1325931283' post='1489883'] Used to play with a drummer who had a 24, massive ride cymbals are the best! [/quote]

If I could have afforded a 24" ride I would have got one lol.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1325936017' post='1489973'] Very nice. Like the finish. Not particularly keen on those short toms myself, I prefer the sustain you get with deeper ones. That concert tom on the left looks quite interesting and the cymbals are very nice as well. What I would say is that I remember I used to have the beaters on the plastic side in order to increase the attack, but the real trick is to lower the tuning which gives you the higher pitched "attack" of the kick drum, without using the hard plastic surface that can wear away at the head and which IMO doesn't really sound quite as good. But yeah, pretty good. I remember looking at getting a superstar as my first kit but I thought the used starclassic was too good to pass up really :) If I could have afforded a 24" ride I would have got one lol. [/quote]

He uses it for pop & hiphop stuff so the toms want to be really tight sounding as appose to having massive sustain.
He also does that with the kick drum but uses the beaters as well. The double pedal has gone now though, he doesn't need it.
That concert tom is just a standard size floor tom with a suede skin on it, tuned down low with do bottom skin, essentially a sub kick sound when mic'd.
The only thing missing from the picture is his new Roland SPDS-x which i'm having masses of fun on at the moment triggering samples and loops with the band.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1325936500' post='1489979'] That is a really nice setup [/quote]

I'll tell him :)

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1325945909' post='1490180']
He uses it for pop & hiphop stuff so the toms want to be really tight sounding as appose to having massive sustain.
He also does that with the kick drum but uses the beaters as well. The double pedal has gone now though, he doesn't need it.
That concert tom is just a standard size floor tom with a suede skin on it, tuned down low with do bottom skin, essentially a sub kick sound when mic'd.
The only thing missing from the picture is his new Roland SPDS-x which i'm having masses of fun on at the moment triggering samples and loops with the band.
[/quote]

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Obviously when you're playing heavier music like me then too much "control" on the toms would leave them completely lost in the mix. I guessed it was just a standard floor tom, from the fact that it still has the leg and bottom head mounting hardware on it lol. The electronic drum stuff sounds interesting. I toyed with the idea but I've not really needed it thusfar since I can just program it on my computer. Maybe when I move out I might be required to get one.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1325848952' post='1488608']
Here you go. At one time it took pride of place in the lounge, you can just see it on the right...
[attachment=96563:DSC_0078.JPG]
and here's the missus ably demonstrating it using pencils as drumsticks - It was a real 'hit' with the neighbours!
[attachment=96564:DSC_0079.JPG]
Sadly it has now been relegated to the loft to make way for a dining table that we sit at once a year :rolleyes:
[/quote]
That's amazing! that's the same finish as my Rogers kit, but yours is in SO much better condition! I'm only using the snare at the moment.
Do you know what vintage it is? I'm guessing mine is early/mid 60s

• 1 month later...

I have only been on the bass for a few years and no way do i consider myself a 'bass player' but i have been behind the drums since I was 12 and I am 54 now..
I studied as a teenager and have played many styles including orchestral percussion, big band , rock, funk etc but have always concentrated on what i was bought up with ..Jazz ..
I am currently with a gigging quartet doing bebop etc.....

Here is my peach of a bebop kit..

Pearl Masters custom maple (with cast hoops) 18"x14" bass, 12"x10" tom and 14"x14" fl tom.
The snare in this photo is a premier maple modern classic 14"x5.5"..
The cymbals are zildjian ..19" armand "beautiful baby" ride with 3 rivets,,,18" flat ride (1970s) with 4 rivets...18" crash ride and 13"
new beat hi hats...
Premier 6000 series hardware ,DW 5000 bass pedal....
Tama "first chair" throne (seat to non drumists-))

Just recently I have bought a K custom dark 20" ride, 18" crash and 13" hi hats...which cost a small fortune.......

I also have a Pearl masters custom maple snare 14"x5" with cast hoops and a 1967 RM "supersensitive "chrome over brass 14"x5" snare with cast hoops..

I use a Roland td9kv for home practice..

The bass is a 1996 Fender MIJ.(now gone).. .

Edited by Ktmman