Why become a member? ×

My Bagpipes....

Marvin

I would just like to state that I have nothing against bagpipes - having some scottish blood in me I actually get quite emotional when I hear them - a strange mixed up feeling of warm sentimentality & wanting to fight somebody.

It was the using an "elbow patch for pullovers" bit that made me doubt the seriousness of his post.

:)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325998956' post='1490851']
I would just like to state that I have nothing against bagpipes - having some scottish blood in me I actually get quite emotional when I hear them - a strange mixed up feeling of warm sentimentality & wanting to fight somebody.

It was the using an "elbow patch for pullovers" bit that made me doubt the seriousness of his post.

:)
[/quote]

;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1327177198' post='1507554']
Personally, I find the 'porridge guns' a bit of an aquired taste!
[/quote]

If you ever visit Edinburgh during the tourie season and hear them Screeching and Squawking along Princes Street (the pipes, that is; not the touries!) that acquired taste would soon disappear!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325998956' post='1490851']
I would just like to state that I have nothing against bagpipes - having some scottish blood in me I actually get quite emotional when I hear them -
[/quote]

I would also just like to echo that sentiment, even though I have no Scottish blood that I'm aware of and my emotions on hearing them are probably rather different to most Scots.

I find that living in Hertfordshire is pretty safe as far as bagpipe audio exposure is concerned, though I'm looking forward to even tighter export controls if the Scots get the independence that Salmond craves.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1329147835' post='1537821']
Uillean pipes.

Proper.

[/quote]

You can see why wars were a bit of a problem for us. The guys at the front with the pipes really need to be standing up, preferably marching bravely forward. This sitting on a stool approach lacks something indefinable. Worse if you actually get up off the stool and try advancing, of course. Attacking crabwise is pretty unimpressive. :D

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1329157397' post='1538111']
In Macedonia, they make bagpipes out of whole goats. I saw someone playing one like this in Poland.

Tip: if you're at work, don't go searching google for 'man blowing goat bagpipes'
[/quote]

You sure playing is what he's doing?

Edited by fatback

It's a popular miscoception that all bagpipes are A. loud and B.scottish
Just about every country in Europe (and some beyond) has or had some form of bagpipe. The French claim a huge number of bagpipe species, Brittany alone has two indigenous types (you'll also hear Scottish and Irish pipes there too. Most other French regions have a native type of bagpipe
This video is of a Musette Bechonnet (Central France in origin but widespread now)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yWq-UkC_ZQ&feature=related
This picture is of a carving in my local church, dates to the mid 17th century.