Show us your (guitar) rig

or amp whatever you want to call it

67 replies to this topic

#61 Kiwi

Big, bouncy and now officially "dangerous".

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,614 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

View PostKiwi, on 22 December 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

I gave up trying to take decent pictures. So here's my refurbished Chandler Custom Strat, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 and Burman Pro501 combo. Last thing I need to do with the guitar is install a decent tremolo. The only one that does the job so far is the Stets trem but I don't like how it fussy and vintage it looks. A Wilkinson VS-100C would have been perfect but they aren't made any more.
Attachment DSC08941.JPG
Geez, I don't remember taking that photo and I never saved it! I lost the modded DS1 in my frequent global relocations too. :( Still haven't installed the electronics in the Klein yet either, but hopefully will do it next month. Things have moved on a bit since then too.

Attached File  monthly_08_2016/post-2-0-10594900-1471097484.png   178.3K

Also have the following but haven't actually plugged the GX3 into the Pro501 yet and am probably unlikely to for the forseeable future, which is a bit of a shame.

Attached File  monthly_08_2016/post-2-0-15112700-1471098662.png   363.88K

The GX3 sounds nice with the middle stage turned up - very old school rawknrawl which is another way of saying it lacks djent. The first gain stage is a bit woolly and Dave-Stewart-school-of-retro-fuzz - even less djent. But I want to find out what happens with both gain stages turned up. Should be pleasantly face melting and perhaps djenty.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, FEA Labs Dual Band compressor, Future Impact bass synth, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, Trace Elliot Hexavalve, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#62 Jenny_Innie

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

I have different rigs for different situations. Here's one of my fave ones though. This is the amp I have in my new house - chosen especially as it fits in with the decor and doesn't scream "GUITAR AMPLIFIER". Someone thought it was an old radio the other day.

It's actually a Gibson GA30RVS all tube, class A 30 watt 2x12. It is just the best, warm clean thing that you ever did hear. Louder than my '69 Vox AC30 (and that is house demolishingly loud). It has the most wonderful stereo reverb.

They're getting a bit rare now. I love it to bits.

Attached File  monthly_08_2016/post-34916-0-59191400-1471725676.jpg   781.84K

Edited by Jenny_Innie, 23 August 2016 - 08:32 AM.

#63 GarethFlatlands

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

View PostJenny_Innie, on 20 August 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

Attachment IMG_5457.jpg

That looks really cool, love the look of that type of gear that's really understated and doesn't stand out, especially for home use. I got an old radio extension cab and replaced the speaker with a Jensen to use with my Harley Benton GA5 head. I wish I was good at woodwork so I could put the guts of the amp into the cab so it's a nice all in one unit but I don't so it just sits on top.

#64 Musicman20

IT'S A TRAP!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,206 posts
  • Interests:Bass/Guitar/Beer/Star Wars.

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostJenny_Innie, on 20 August 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

I have different rigs for different situations. Here's one of my fave ones though. This is the amp I have in my new house - chosen especially as it fits in with the decor and doesn't scream "GUITAR AMPLIFIER". Someone thought it was an old radio the other day.

It's actually a Gibson GA30RVS all tube, class A 30 watt 2x12. It's is just the best, warm clean thing that you ever did hear. Louder than my '69 Vox AC30 (and that is house demolishingly loud). It has the most wonderful stereo reverb.

Attachment IMG_5457.jpg

WOW!

#65 Danuman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Anything, really... Don't get me started.

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:10 PM

That Gibson looks phenomenal. The guitarist in my blues band owns a 112 Gibson amp from the early '60s (maybe even earlier), which weighs as much as it sounds good, for needing an outboard transformer.

After years of mucking about with vintage trouble makers - most notably a '77 Marshall JMP and a '78 Silverface Fender Pro Reverb - I'm now using a reissue Deluxe Reverb. It's the best I've ever sounded.

Oh, I almost forgot! I played a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe from the mid '90s on indefinite loan for a couple of years. Rattling tubes were a bit of an issue in the studio, but other than that it was a great working horse of an amp.

#66 Jenny_Innie

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

View PostDanuman, on 06 September 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

That Gibson looks phenomenal. The guitarist in my blues band owns a 112 Gibson amp from the early '60s (maybe even earlier), which weighs as much as it sounds good, for needing an outboard transformer.

After years of mucking about with vintage trouble makers - most notably a '77 Marshall JMP and a '78 Silverface Fender Pro Reverb - I'm now using a reissue Deluxe Reverb. It's the best I've ever sounded.

Oh, I almost forgot! I played a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe from the mid '90s on indefinite loan for a couple of years. Rattling tubes were a bit of an issue in the studio, but other than that it was a great working horse of an amp.

Yep. I have a Hot Rod Deluxe as my main pub gigging amp. Mega loud so plently of volume. Set clean, it's great. Not so impressed by the breakup tones - but I use all kinds of pedals for that. It's a great workhorse. Not too heavy for little me either.

#67 Danuman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Anything, really... Don't get me started.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:37 PM

Haha, I agree. I never used it, I completely forgot about it, actually. Always wondered what ideas went into designing those drive channels...

#68 GarethFlatlands

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

The guitarist in my band uses a Hot Rod Deluxe, really impressed by the sound for it's size.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users