Why become a member? ×

Random: is it ok to use a guitar amp on its side?

gafbass02

I have a solid state peavey bandit and for stacking it would be much better on its side, is this a bad idea? I suppose I'm worried about things like the weight of components like the transformer putting stress on the boards inside. Any thoughts guys?

It is absolutely no problem whatsoever putting a guitar amp on its side. Peaveys especially are built extremely solidly and TBH if the chassis can stand up to having the transformer pushing down on it when it's upright, it can handle having it pulling on the side. I've personally had my amp on its side for years and not had any problems at all :)

Yup, should be no problem. When the time comes, valve amps are much heavier (mostly due to the weight of the extra transformers), but are invariably built using military grade components on sheet steel chassis so no issues there either. Just remember to check the valves are properly seated from time to time.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1325950862' post='1490274']
Thanks bud. Until recently all things guitar were a mystery to me, but somehow I've ended up playing guitar with mates. It's all a bit beyond me though lol!
[/quote]

Np. It's never easy picking up a new instrument, no matter how similar it may be in theory to the one you're already playing. I'm sure you'll get there in the end though :)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1325954552' post='1490346']
I can't imagine it harming anything, especially with a solid state amp. I think reverb pans are designed to be used a particular way up though, as one of the letters in the Accutronics parts numbers is for orientation. So your reverb might not behave as it's meant to.
[/quote]

I've never found it to be an issue. The springs are basically suspended in the air and will quite happily resonate at whatever orientation they are put down on. Mind you, I don't really use reverb that much anyway.

Edited by EdwardHimself

It's bad practice to mount heavy components on a circuit board and not provide another form of mechanical fixing/restraint.

Given Peavey's reputation for tank-like robustness I don't think 'bad practice' would readily spring to mind in this context and I'd certainly not be concerned about using it on its side.