Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a small tube combo

Wil

I'm looking to get a small (15 to 30 watt) combo, for home recording and potential band use. I prefer british voiced amps, and I don't really need an overdrive channel, I figure I can use pedals if I want any serious dirt.

I love the Fender Twin sound but a twin would be both too expensive and too loud.

So far I've been thinking of something like a Vox AC15, Orange Dual Terror, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (or maybe Blues Junior?)... that's about all I have so far, anything else I should consider?

My budget is probably £400 or so (looking at used amps).

Edited by Wil

Keep an eye out for a Rivera R30 on the secondhand market. They usually go for around the £350 - £400 mark ,which is a serious bargain for a US built boutique amp.
I used to have one & it was a fantastic amp: Twin channel 1x12 thirty watt all valve combo. The two channels are roughly voiced Marshall/Hiwatt (crunch/overdrive) & Fender (clean). Absolutely beautiful clean sounds from it - I used to use it with my Gretsch 6120 & with a touch of reverb is was stunning.
Beautiful sounding amp I only sold mine as I no longer had room for a guitar amp & a bass amp (should have sold the bass amp to be honest) & really regret letting it go.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1326195830' post='1493505']
Keep an eye out for a Rivera R30 on the secondhand market. They usually go for around the £350 - £400 mark ,which is a serious bargain for a US built boutique amp.
I used to have one & it was a fantastic amp: Twin channel 1x12 thirty watt all valve combo. The two channels are roughly voiced Marshall/Hiwatt (crunch/overdrive) & Fender (clean). Absolutely beautiful clean sounds from it - I used to use it with my Gretsch 6120 & with a touch of reverb is was stunning.
Beautiful sounding amp I only sold mine as I no longer had room for a guitar amp & a bass amp (should have sold the bass amp to be honest) & really regret letting it go.
[/quote]

Sounds right up my alley, cheers, I'll keep an eye out for one.

The Cornford and Matamp are interesting but above my budget.

definately have a go with the Fenders and see what you think, they are very nice but i found them just too loud, great tone but i couldn't get the tones i wanted at low enough volumes.
i ended up with a tiny terror and a 1x12 cab (fender with a celestion neo)
if you want a brit tone keep your eyes peeled for the Marshall JTM30 series (30w available with various speakers), should be well within your budget and they'e a lovely amp, i've got it's biggest brother the JTM622 (60w 2x12) and it's wonderful, mine has a lovely ac30 type growl when cranked, even my tech was impressed (i think he bothered the neighbours with if for quite a while) they've also got master volumes so very easy to dial in the right tone at a sensible volume.

another option might be the smaller Laney amps (lc and vc series) very cheap and with good valves (and possibly an upgraded speaker) they sound very nice.

Matt

I had fender a while back, clean lovely, didn't like the break up when playing with slightly bluesy dirt, I then switched to a Marshall DSL50 which was great but sounded like everybody else so I had Martin at Martamp build me my Roadstar TT which is 18w of vintage Brit sound, a real cracker!

More babies means downsizing the kit so it's got to go as I don't play it. I only got to use it a handful of times at most and it's sat unused for about 18 months until the other night when I fired it up and remembered why I'd had it built...alas still got to go :-(

guitarist in my band had a big 2x12 deville hotrod fender thing. Sounded good.
we toured with a band for a few shows and helped each other with load in and out- they had a blues jr. sounded almost the same by time it was mic'ed - except better as could be cranked a bit more, and weighed hardly anything compared to the big one

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1326203512' post='1493715']
guitarist in my band had a big 2x12 deville hotrod fender thing. Sounded good.
we toured with a band for a few shows and helped each other with load in and out- they had a blues jr. sounded almost the same by time it was mic'ed - except better as could be cranked a bit more, and weighed hardly anything compared to the big one
[/quote]

This is what I'm thinking - my last amp was a DSL 100 and it barely got turned above half. Unfortunately it sounds best dimed on the clean channel, by which point it's ear splitting, just overkill 99% of the time.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, lots to consider!

Guitarist in my old band went from a DSL100 to a Blues Jr, sounded great and if you're in a band where everybody is sensible with the volume controls then it's got plenty beef to carry through. Used it without PA support for a few small room gigs, in a 3 vocal/3 elec/1 acoustic/drums+bass set up and it was fine. Other guitarists were also using small amps too mind you (Fender Pro Jr, Cornell Romany) so I guess it depends what you're up against!

Fender Blues Junior, upgrade speaker to whatever suits you.

You may want to get the mid tone stack modded so you can cut mid out 100%, depending on what speaker you go for.

Check out BillM site for mods and speaker recommendations.

+1 on the Blues Jr, had a guitarist dep in my band with one and it sounded superb. 1970's silverface Fender amps like the Champ and Vibrochamp are well worth considering also.

Have heard good things about the Peavey Classic but never tried one.

Trace tube amps are a real bargain as has been suggested and I think some of them offer dual power settings.

Would it be worth taking a look at Hayden amps? (Ashdown's guitar equivalent)

If someone out there could make a reasonably priced Fender Super Champ, I'd be on it like a shot.

The Peavey Classic 30 looks like a good bet - well priced, sounds decent, good size. Looks pretty cool too!

I've been watching a few amp demos on youtube and it hasn't really helped - my favourite tones so far have been produced by the Vox AC30, and those are a few hundred over my budget at least even used.

I'm another one to say Blues Junior. With the mods from the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] BillM site it really goes from a great little amp to a stunning amp. Light, portable and loud enough to gig. Mine has an upgraded speaker and reverb tank. It's my favourite guitar amp[/font][/color]

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1326282750' post='1494821']
I'd love to hear one of these: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_darkhorse.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...r_darkhorse.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Very cool!

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1326282159' post='1494806']
I've been watching a few amp demos on youtube and it hasn't really helped - my favourite tones so far have been produced by the Vox AC30, and those are a few hundred over my budget at least even used.
[/quote]

I just missed a nearly-new AC30CC2 that went for £375 on ebay a few weeks ago, and it was 15 minutes from my house. Gutted :(