Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a small tube combo

Wil

If you're willing to solder, you can mod the pants off a Harley Benton GA5 combo. It's basically an Epiphone Valve Junior but for cheaper, fix the hum and bias problems, pop a nice 8" speaker in and you've got a nice portable tube combo that can still kick out a fair bit of volume if needed.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1332275070' post='1586028']
Didn't try anyof the modeling amps did you skank?[/quote]

Nah. He's decided he doesn't want one of those. Fair enough, says I.

For myself, I may try a Mustang 1 while he's noodling through something inappropriate I can talk him out of after we leave the shop. Like a Marshall VM stack. ;)

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1332329852' post='1586650']
Bugger was hoping you had tried. Bought a Mustang I on ebay the other day it's in the post :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Give us a review - here or in your other thread.

Hope you enjoy your new toy :) :)

I'm still very happy with my AC30 choice - I've been using it for home practice and recording and getting some great sounds at low volumes (particularly like the top boost channel with treble and bass at around 3 'o clock), but will finally be taking it to a proper band practice at the weekend and cranking it up.

Maybe hearing it full whack will make me re-appraise the sounds I've been getting at lower levels? Either way I'm looking forward to it!

If I had to go down this road again, I would definitely keep it simple and classic; ie. Silverface Fender Champ or even better the Vibrochamp. Then just max drive it as hard as I want and roll of vol on Gtr to clean up tone when required. I just want to hear and feel those tubes. Also old Fenders take pedals SO well.

I tried most of the modern micro valve amps and ended up with a Blues Jnr cos it had that sound; but it's not really a small enough amp in vol for home use.

The modern micros were all lacking in something to my ears. I'm sure they're great to the ears of others tho.

• 1 month later...

So, another road trip with my mate who's looking for a new, small tube amp. Off to Guitar Guitar in B'ham and very nice it is too. Scads of gear and attentive, pleasant salespeople with only [i]some[/i] of their teeth filed to sharp points.

First up - [b]Marshall Class 5 Combo [/b](mk 2 version). Loads of positive reviews, guitar mags squirting love wee.

Well, it 's easy on the eye, with classic Marshall looks, but at £540 it f***ing well should be. And only a single 16 ohm ext output

Sounds? Well we both found it very generic, [i]very [/i]boxy and very one-sound. And not even a nice sound. Twiddled the eq, ran it loud, ran it quiet, looked at each other and went 'Nah'.

Quite muddy, so I rolled all the bass off, mids flat and full treble, turned it down a bit - no, dull - and cranked it full up (again). Whatever you do to it, it just sounds dull and very murky.

[b][size=3]'Sparkling highs'? My arse.[/size][/b]

Oh, the chagrin. Just totally disappointed. Is this why Uncle Jim dropped off the perch? Killed stone dead by the shame?

At this point, another customer sticks his head round the door of the booth and says 'That sounds amaaaazing out here'. So he and I swap places and - yes - with the door closed and the amp now muted to a whisper it sounds [i]very[/i] nice. Back inside the booth, this bloke is looking like someone farted.

Comes back out. "S'awful, isn't it."

How weird. An amp that sounds better when you can't hear it.

The Class 5 sounds no better than the Blackstar HT-5R - which has 'two channels', reverb (essential for quiet home stuff for a bit of depth) and comes in £150-200 cheaper. And an 8/16 ohm ext speaker option. Much more sensible.

Now the salesbloke comes up with a [b]JMP1[/b] (limited edition 1 watt 50th Anni combo with 0.1 watt option). He beams at us.

"[i]Gotta[/i] try this! Sounds just like a Plexi" says he, all bright and full of hope.

[b][size=3]JMP1 - doesn't sound like a Plexi[/size][/b]

[size=3][size=4]So we plug in the gorgeous-looking Ltd Ed JMP1 and - [i]wet fart[/i]. EQ does virtually nothing. The 0.1 watt option is so quiet as to be functionally useless - my cat snores louder than this. [/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4]And - like the Class 5 - it's over £500. PCB construction, too.[/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4]Both the amps stab blindly at a 'Marshall' sound but I've heard just as good out of modelling combos, (yes, IMO, I know). [/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4]Neither of them convince 'in the room' or make your ball-sac tighten the way a bigger Marshall does. Maybe it's my ears, maybe they were bad examples, maybe Marshalls stop being Marshalls when they go under 20w. Who knows and - for this sort of money - who cares?[/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4]That said, they sound great through a closed door. Or perhaps - as the other customer speculated - they sound fantastic miked up for recording. [size=3][size=4]YMMV, of course and NOI to anyone who loves their Class 5 or mini-Marshall. It's all a matter of taste, isn't it. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4][size=3][size=4]Maybe this whole 5w thing is a bad idea, for my mate's purposes. I think that some grunt is required, so I've suggested what he really needs a 15-20w head and a 2x10 cab. Or a Blues Junior, but he wants a Marshall sound.[/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=3][size=4]Why can't he just lash out on a Dr Z? Ever onward.[/size][/size]

[color=#ffffff][size=3][size=4].[/size][/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1326193181' post='1493455']
I'm looking to get a small (15 to 30 watt) combo, for home recording and potential band use. I prefer british voiced amps, and I don't really need an overdrive channel, I figure I can use pedals if I want any serious dirt.

I love the Fender Twin sound but a twin would be both too expensive and too loud.

So far I've been thinking of something like a Vox AC15, Orange Dual Terror, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (or maybe Blues Junior?)... that's about all I have so far, anything else I should consider?

My budget is probably £400 or so (looking at used amps).
[/quote]

Just saw this, maybe too late now, but...

Laney LC30 gets my vote.

It's small in size (single 12" speaker) but boy, is it loud? In addition, it has a beautiful clean sound (very fendery), and the overdrive is not bad at all either, Marshallesque...
very portable, and more than enough for practice/gigs (anything beyond a small pub there will be a PA and you can mic it).
Well within your budget.

Alternatively the Laney VC30 (more vox like in sound) is pretty cool too.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1332404693' post='1587709']
If I had to go down this road again, I would definitely keep it simple and classic; ie. Silverface Fender Champ or even better the Vibrochamp. Then just max drive it as hard as I want and roll of vol on Gtr to clean up tone when required. I just want to hear and feel those tubes. Also old Fenders take pedals SO well.

I tried most of the modern micro valve amps and ended up with a Blues Jnr cos it had that sound; but it's not really a small enough amp in vol for home use.

The modern micros were all lacking in something to my ears. I'm sure they're great to the ears of others tho.
[/quote]

I used to own a silverface VibroChamp...
I so stupidly sold it :(
One of the very few bits of equipment I truly regret selling. I had replaced the speaker and it was a lovely amp. Reacted very nicely to overdrive pedals too. Amazingly loud for 5-6W!

Too late I'm afraid, I bought an AC30 aaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago :D

Currently it's dead, making a horrible howling noise when I turn it on, so I've got some new tubes on order for it. Used my backup amp (Marshall DSL100) at practice tonight, first time I've used it with my Strat. It was a good match, great mid presence (I was having a lot of fun with my lead parts) but definitely far less sparkle and top end detail than the AC. Couldn't really get the valves working either, seriously loud amp.

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1338851024' post='1680153']
Too late I'm afraid, I bought an AC30 aaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago :D

Currently it's dead, making a horrible howling noise when I turn it on, so I've got some new tubes on order for it. Used my backup amp (Marshall DSL100) at practice tonight, first time I've used it with my Strat. It was a good match, great mid presence (I was having a lot of fun with my lead parts) but definitely far less sparkle and top end detail than the AC. Couldn't really get the valves working either, seriously loud amp.
[/quote]

:lol:

I just saw, I was catching up with the posts. I never thought of this could apply to it:
"oh, that old thing? that small tube combo? That's an AC30 I had lying around and figured I'd bring it along, as I had space under my left arm"

quite heavy (and bulky) as you now know :) But they do sound nice. When they work at least! :P

Yep, definitely not light (although I bought a small suitcase trolly which I always keep bungeed to the amp, so I can flip it on it's side and wheel it about - works great. Until I hit a flight of stairs at least...), but does sound lovely. Cant wait to hear it with a new set of tubes, I've no idea when they were last changed, if ever.

• 2 weeks later...

update.....i got one of these recently for £120 off eBay

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320918708232?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320918708232?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648[/url]

Holy crappola - this thing smokes. With a 12ax7 in it it is very feisty indeed; stick a 12ay7 in it and it cleans up lovely to sound like a big Fender at manageable levels for home use.

You can buy them directly from maker Caiman Agnew in Dublin and request tube specifications you want.

Hi Kiwi

here's a link to retailer in London; but you would probably be better going direct to maker
[url="http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/C.agnew-Tweed-518-2012-Tweed-11851"]http://www.vintagean...012-Tweed-11851[/url]

Caimin's direct contact details are below

[email protected] / Phone 0044-851428655 (this is available on web; so should be OK to publish here)

he builds these amps by hand; so they are not always in stock, hence the high price for that one that just went on eBay.

PS.
fine set of interests you have there, old fruit!
tally ho, up the empire, wot, wot!!

Edited by Bassnut62

So this is the site?

[url="http://cagnewguitars.com/Contact.html"]http://cagnewguitars.com/Contact.html[/url]

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1339761929' post='1693878']
PS.
fine set of interests you have there, old fruit!
tally ho, up the empire, wot, wot!![/quote]
Up Pompei also. Haw haw haw.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1336781939' post='1651178']
So, another road trip with my mate who's looking for a new, small tube amp. Off to Guitar Guitar in B'ham and very nice it is too. Scads of gear and attentive, pleasant salespeople with only [i]some[/i] of their teeth filed to sharp points.

etc
[/quote]

I've said it before, I'll say it again -- Skank, you are wasted here. Write for somebody, godammit. That was funny.

Cheers

Mark

I emailed Mr Agnew about the possibility of a super champ inspired combo. This was his reply:

[i]"Not as of yet ! I was hoping to start doing something along those lines but it going to be well over 12months before we can look at it more seriously...[/i]

[i]...check back again sometime later next year when I hope to be putting out a rivera era' fender oriented type amp... "[/i]

• 1 year later...