Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a small tube combo

Wil

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1326282750' post='1494821']
I'd love to hear one of these: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_darkhorse.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...r_darkhorse.htm[/url]
[/quote]
[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1326282978' post='1494826']
Very cool!
[/quote]

Go on - get one then we can all come around and hear it :D

I've built a number of samall amps over the years, and if you're willing to get the soldering iron out then it's not necessarily a bad way to do it. Have a look at www.ampmaker.com.

From the sound of things you'd do well with an 18watt clone - loud with an efficient speaker, good tonal qualities especially pushed into mild overdrive. I also like small single-ended amps for clean work, as they seem to be fatter, rounder and more responsive.

A couple of the guys have mentioned their amps up for sale - I'm trying to move my 'Tube 30' on. Bought a few years back on the 'bay it uses 2 X 6L6 for about 30 watts with 1 channel and a 'boost' button. This one's been tweaked a bit so it takes pedals better and sounds a bit fuller and less scratchy. I'd had it on loan to a friend for a couple of years, but he's gone back to Africa and now it's cluttering up my house (I have 8 or 9 other amps here already). It's not a thing of beauty, but it is quite functional - it owes me £110 (plus shipping). PM me if you want to know more.

I should not be allowed on ebay.

Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions in this thread, however in the end I threw caution and my budget to the wind slighty - just scored an AC30 CC2 on ebay for £450 :D

The tone in my head is the AC30 tone so I'm sure I wouldn't have been 100% happy with anything else.

Feel free to carry on posting nice amps though, the thread has been a good read!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1326296430' post='1495082']
I can't BELIEVE no-one mentioned Blackstar. Their amps are superb, and British.
[/quote]

Their amps are superb, but......(from the Blackstar website)

"But as they are built in Korea, they are accessible and not just the stuff of dreams. We caught up with Ian and Bruce to check out the superlative A100 stack (reviewed in issue 300). But first of all, we asked why anyone would quit designing amps for Marshall…"

Sorry - I thought you said a 'small tube combo'. You do know that a cranked AC30 will kill the first 2 rows of an audience and inflict serious wounds on the 3 rows behind them?

;)

My first real amp was an AC30 (still have it) and I remember coming off stage with my hearing shot away, yet having not got the volume knob past the half way mark. Mind you, when really cranked they can sound fabulous - like warm thunder with the right speakers fitted.

I've got an early Fender Pro junior, simple amp......15w, class A, vol and tone control but it sounds and records great, gets on very well with pedals too. Looks cool with its blonde tolex.
The thing to remember is that these 'small' valve amps are still loud esplecially for home use...but there's so many to choose from you'll eventually find the right one.
Harmony Central is good for user reviews

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1326389219' post='1496629']
Sorry - I thought you said a 'small tube combo'. You do know that a cranked AC30 will kill the first 2 rows of an audience and inflict serious wounds on the 3 rows behind them?

;)

My first real amp was an AC30 (still have it) and I remember coming off stage with my hearing shot away, yet having not got the volume knob past the half way mark. Mind you, when really cranked they can sound fabulous - like warm thunder with the right speakers fitted.
[/quote]

Yeah, this is something of a case of my heart overruling my head :D

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1326390360' post='1496651']
The thing to remember is that these 'small' valve amps are still loud esplecially for home use...but there's so many to choose from you'll eventually find the right one.
[/quote]

Exactly. In both of my bands, a couple of the guitarists use "small" valve amps - 15 watts - and neither need miking up in regular pub-size venues. And neither band is quiet, one is a punk covers band, the other, well we have drums, 2 basses, 3 gtrs, and keys - you get the idea.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1326408858' post='1497011']
If you want a basic going over and cleaning of sockets and knobs and stuff bring it by, could do with pics for my blog, best to premept trouble with second hand amps.

Also, the Blackstar Artisan series are made properly.
[/quote]

Cheers Oli - no car at the moment so this might be tricky, but I should be sorting some wheels in the next month or so when I may well take you up on this :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1326442442' post='1497180']
Exactly. In both of my bands, a couple of the guitarists use "small" valve amps - 15 watts - and neither need miking up in regular pub-size venues. And neither band is quiet, one is a punk covers band, the other, well we have drums, 2 basses, 3 gtrs, and keys - you get the idea.
[/quote]

Yep, I play guitar in a band and use my old Vox V15, I once used it in a band with 3 guitars, and it drowned out their 100w Marshall Valvesh*ts without going over 6.
An AC30 will not be quiet, really. (Flipping good though)

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1326486793' post='1498018']
How about an Ampeg BA500? Lovely sounding combo. As it happens I know a very nice man who has one for sale!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/164815-ampeg-ba500-for-sale"]http://basschat.co.u...-ba500-for-sale[/url]
[/quote]

Nice try lol.

[quote]
[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/2-kiwi/"][color="#282828"]Kiwi[/color][/url][/b]

Posted Today, 08:30 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a Super Champ clone?

[/quote]

............don't do it, there's enough tribute bands out there already

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1326486650' post='1498015']
Does anyone have any suggestions for a Super Champ clone?
[/quote]

I'm not quite sure which model you mean by superchamp (unless it's the modelling thingy) but considering where you live you might have a root through here: http://www.ceriatone.com/index.htm

Check out these Champ clones
http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/C.agnew-Tweed-518-2011-Tweed-11851
I just picked one up used for £129 and it is stunning! All tube,including rectifier. Circuits based on the best Champ from '57. Stunning, stunning, stunning! How can that much tone come out of 5w and 8" spkr?