Why become a member? ×

Show us your playing videos!

Jam

They are called Border Pipes (in England) or Lowland Pipes (in Scotland) the things you see at the Edinburgh tattoo played by men in skirts are Great Highland Bagpipes. The original border pipes were higher pitched (A of Bb) these are a modern version in D , it makes them better for playing with other instruments. Historically there was a similar bagpipe , popular during the 18th century called a Pastoral pipe that is believed to be the ancestor of the Uilleann pipes.
The bellows fill the bag in the same way as your mouth would on other types of bagpipe, the advantage is that the bag and reeds are kept dry and are more stable and reliable.
Every country in Europe has or had some form of bagpipe, similar pipes can be found today in France and Belgium.

Don't why I'm posting this cause its awful!! I've only been 'playing' guitar since July, and 'singing' the same. It only started as a joke! This was recorded by accident, we were just trying to catch the audio cause we needed to learn the song, this was literally, and I mean that - LITERALLY the 2nd time we'd attempted this song. I'd just talked them through the chords, and as you can see from the arm waving, still working out the structure. My first and indeed only ever attempt at a guitar solo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvF6b4QMovQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
It's just me and my mates messing about really. That's basschatter Davemuadib on my 'Bassmaster Funk' bass. We were playing at sub talking volume with electric drums and vocals through a hi-fi in my cellar. I was reading the lyrics off a sheet.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1326544810' post='1498614']
Don't why I'm posting this cause its awful!! I've only been 'playing' guitar since July, and 'singing' the same. It only started as a joke! This was recorded by accident, we were just trying to catch the audio cause we needed to learn the song, this was literally, and I mean that - LITERALLY the 2nd time we'd attempted this song. I'd just talked them through the chords, and as you can see from the arm waving, still working out the structure. My first and indeed only ever attempt at a guitar solo.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvF6b4QMovQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
It's just me and my mates messing about really. That's basschatter Davemuadib on my 'Bassmaster Funk' bass. We were playing at sub talking volume with electric drums and vocals through a hi-fi in my cellar. I was reading the lyrics off a sheet.
[/quote]

It's not as bad as you make it out to be. I must say I am getting sick of all the covers of that song. I mean seriously, it's like Wicked Game or something...

*edit* I've just listened back to this and the playing is appalling. I'll record something better soon!

[s]Not my best playing, by any means (hence why it's listed as private and I'm only posting on here!), but I thought it'd be a more appropriate, and perhaps "accessible" recording of the instrument, especially as the normal music for the flute is solo zen meditation music written in the 13th Century...[/s]

Edited by Jam

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1326616572' post='1499443']
Shakuhachi? ,I take my hat off to you, I play wooden western flutes myself but could even get a note out of one of those.
[/quote]

Cheers, it took me about a week before I could produce a stable tone. So frustrating. I've been lucky to always have a teacher around too which helps. I had a go at playing a silver flute and found that thanks to the shakuhachi embrochure (sp?) I could sort of produce a sound. I am intrigued by the idea of wooden flutes, are yours Irish ones? End blown or with a fipple/reed etc? I must say I don't know much about flutes outside the one I play...

Very nice playing Krysh/Michael, sounds like you're having fun! I wish I could play guitar like that :)

Edited by Jam

Irish in that they are the type used for Irish music. They are sometimes called "simple system", this style of flute fell out of favour with classical players around the turn of the century but survived as a folk instrument in Ireland (and other places).
Mine are English (made in England) "Irish" flutes : (commercial content follows, mods feel free to remove)
http://djallan.co.uk/page3.htm

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1326663871' post='1500267']
Very nice playing Krysh/Michael, sounds like you're having fun! I wish I could play guitar like that :)
[/quote]

thanks jam, very kind. I took the vid with my small mistakes because the overall energy felt best. :blush:

I really enjoyed your flute vid, too.

@ dom: very cool, thanks.

Edited by the_krysh

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1326707424' post='1500617']
Nothing by me as yet (lack of ability , practice and confidence) , this was recorded by a customer from Luxembourg
[media]http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/Audio/07-06/CoolinMarchClaudineD.mp3[/media]
There are a few others out there, by other players, I recently added some flute to a demo by my band, coming soon...
[/quote]

Nice tone!

• 2 weeks later...