Why become a member? ×

A new take on Superstition

JakeBrownBass

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1326545805' post='1498641']
That sounds like a Drum kit to me ( or at least Bass drum snare & Tamborine ) whats the story there?
[/quote]

Cajun with 2 mics, one on the front & one underneath. Then a condenser picking up the tambourine being played with his right foot, just out of view because of the bass.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1326545934' post='1498644']
Cajun with 2 mics, one on the front & one underneath. Then a condenser picking up the tambourine being played with his right foot, just out of view because of the bass.
[/quote]
Excuse my ignorance whats a cajun? it sounds great.

OK....I was in "grumpy old man" mode this morning when I clicked on the vid...... :angry:

3 seconds in and I'd already written it off as pesky young kids about to murder a Stevie Wonder tune....I mean look at her texting on her phone...pah!
9 seconds in....quite like the guitar riff...a bit different.....
20 seconds and the groove had started......ooh!
27 seconds its all coming together....nice voice.......ah the penny drops......shes not texting....its the lyrics...doh!

Nice chilled groove, you can hear everything and its all fitting nicely together, lots going on idividually but no-one overpowering. After listening to it for the 6th or 7th time (I guess I must have liked it! :) ) "grumpy old man" had reteated and "chilled old man" :sun_bespectacled: is now trying to find a way to be able to download this to his [s]gramophone [/s]...er iPod.

Nice one.

Edited by Acebassmusic

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1326551533' post='1498744']
OK....I was in "grumpy old man" mode this morning when I clicked on the vid...... :angry:

3 seconds in and I'd already written it off as pesky young kids about to murder a Stevie Wonder tune....I mean look at her texting on her phone...pah!
9 seconds in....quite like the guitar riff...a bit different.....
20 seconds and the groove had started......ooh!
27 seconds its all coming together....nice voice.......ah the penny drops......shes not texting....its the lyrics...doh!

Nice chilled groove, you can hear everything and its all fitting nicely together, lots going on idividually but no-one overpowering. After listening to it for the 6th or 7th time (I guess I must have liked it! :) ) "grumpy old man" had reteated and "chilled old man" :sun_bespectacled: is now trying to find a way to be able to download this to his [s]gramophone [/s]...er iPod.

Nice one.
[/quote]

Aha cheers mate.

I'll stick it up on soundcloud tomorrow with a download link for anyone that wants its.

Download link here for anyone thats interested.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/jakebrownbass/superstition/download"]Download[/url]

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1326613460' post='1499427']
Excellent! Great performance from all of you - where can I hear more?
[/quote]

I've got another 2 videos to put up but they're not quite in the same vain as this one. More for getting bookings at weddings.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1326627556' post='1499597']
I've got another 2 videos to put up but they're not quite in the same vain as this one. More for getting bookings at weddings.
[/quote]

Thought the track was quality mate, but your singer totally spoils it for me. Not the singing, but the unprofessional attitude she appears to have. Using her phone (even if it is for lyrics) makes it look like she's not interested (and she should know the lyrics, you guys all know the music!) and then during the guitar solo, she's stood with her hands in her pockets looking bored out of her mind.

There's probably a story that fully justifies this, but all I'm gonna say is that whilst the music is great, seeing that (as a potential client) would put me RIGHT off booking your band for a wedding.

If she can be that uninterested and ill-prepared when making a video in the studio with her band, she isnt going to give a sh!t about making the client's day special.

Thought the track was quality mate... REALLY good infact.

However, you've asked for all comments and feedback and I'm not going to repeat the good bits again, despite agreeing with them fully.

I would say however, your singer totally spoils it for me. Not the singing, but the unprofessional attitude she appears to have. Using her phone (even if it is for lyrics) makes it look like she's not interested (and she should know the lyrics, you guys all know the music!) and then during the guitar solo, she's stood with her hands in her pockets looking bored out of her mind.

There's probably a story that fully justifies this but it doesnt come across in the video. Whilst the music is great, seeing that (as a potential client) would put me RIGHT off booking your band for a wedding.

If she can be that uninterested and ill-prepared when making a video in the studio with her band, she isnt going to give a sh!t about making the client's day special.

Edited by skej21

I loved that. It wasn't about showing off your chops, which was surprising - in a good way. But what was I was really surprised by was how considered and sheer bloody MUSICAL it was - hell, at the risk of sounding incredibly patroninsing, I'd even use the word 'mature'. And I mean 'mature' in a way that quite a few people who've been playing a damn sight longer than you guys could only dream of. Fresh, thoughtful and different, I'm looking forward to hearing more - thank you. :)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1326653997' post='1500031']
Thought the track was quality mate... REALLY good infact.

However, you've asked for all comments and feedback and I'm not going to repeat the good bits again, despite agreeing with them fully.

I would say however, your singer totally spoils it for me. Not the singing, but the unprofessional attitude she appears to have. Using her phone (even if it is for lyrics) makes it look like she's not interested (and she should know the lyrics, you guys all know the music!) and then during the guitar solo, she's stood with her hands in her pockets looking bored out of her mind.

There's probably a story that fully justifies this but it doesnt come across in the video. Whilst the music is great, seeing that (as a potential client) would put me RIGHT off booking your band for a wedding.

[/quote]

Thanks for the comments mate. It was a bit of a last minute recording, had some time at the end of a pre paid session so thought we'd try get the most from it.

I totally can see where you're coming from though, but it is a studio session and not a love show.

She's not like that live.

But she'll see all this and I'm sure she'll take on board the comments. :)

Also if you check the other video I posted today (Mercy) there's a lot more from her in it. She wasn't totally sure on form for this one as we play it differently quite alot so there's alot of visual ques.

Edited by JakeBrownBass

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1326656265' post='1500080']
I loved that. It wasn't about showing off your chops, which was surprising - in a good way. But what was I was really surprised by was how considered and sheer bloody MUSICAL it was - hell, at the risk of sounding incredibly patroninsing, I'd even use the word 'mature'. And I mean 'mature' in a way that quite a few people who've been playing a damn sight longer than you guys could only dream of. Fresh, thoughtful and different, I'm looking forward to hearing more - thank you. :)
[/quote]

No mate, thank you, it's great to hear such nice feedback, we may look young but we've all been playing for about 10-12 years each so are well practised & all at music college.

i being very nit picky here but i think you could emphasise the chord change in the verse more. It sounded like a C(sharp)m7b5? I think you were playing the G but it could have done with ringing out IMO. Also i would have played a little lead up to it just to give it more oomph (words have lost me today). And also a little lick back to the E.

Finally get your vocalist on some shakers! haha