Why become a member? ×

A new take on Superstition

JakeBrownBass

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1326661562' post='1500219']
i being very nit picky here but i think you could emphasise the chord change in the verse more. It sounded like a C(sharp)m7b5? I think you were playing the G but it could have done with ringing out IMO. Also i would have played a little lead up to it just to give it more oomph (words have lost me today). And also a little lick back to the E.

Finally get your vocalist on some shakers! haha
[/quote]

Not entirely sure which bit your talking about bud :)

But in terms of playing more from my part, it's the first time i've played a double bass for about 3 months with no rehearsal or practice before hand, wasn't technically prepared for doing more than i did :lol:

Edited by JakeBrownBass

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1326670026' post='1500394']
in the verse i thought the guitarist is implying a C#m7b5. Maybe im wrong, in which case il do my own cover and use that ;)
[/quote]

Both guitarist & keys player are playing the Em7 in the verse & dropping the 7th to a major 6th, creating a Em7add6.

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1326687497' post='1500493']
Absolutely loved that. Brilliant playing all round, and what a voice! Going on my iPod for sure...
[/quote]

Cheers mate :)

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1326718428' post='1500858']
Both guitarist & keys player are playing the Em7 in the verse & dropping the 7th to a major 6th, creating a Em7add6.

[/quote]

it'd be just an Em6 but same notes as C#m7b5. I personally like the G in the bass over it but then it just depends on what sounds best to your ears. If we all did the same thing then there would be no need for more than one musician. Either way it was just a very minor thought, the sound and execution of the band was to a very good standard

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1326720854' post='1500917']
it'd be just an Em6 but same notes as C#m7b5. I personally like the G in the bass over it but then it just depends on what sounds best to your ears. If we all did the same thing then there would be no need for more than one musician. Either way it was just a very minor thought, the sound and execution of the band was to a very good standard
[/quote]

Ah so it is. Cheers for the comments. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great version of this song. It reminded me of my first gig in about 1974 at the age of about 14 with my 55year old dad (I wasn't allowed to go on my own or with friend), it was Beck, Bogart and Appice (sp?) and this was the first song. I'd not really known about this band and had kind of chosen them at random. It was a really bass heavy sound and when the bass cam in i felt as if I was in heaven - I'd heard nothing like it at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xjmpBfk9uo

[quote name='MilkyBarKid' timestamp='1330013546' post='1551448']
Great version of this song. It reminded me of my first gig in about 1974 at the age of about 14 with my 55year old dad (I wasn't allowed to go on my own or with friend), it was Beck, Bogart and Appice (sp?) and this was the first song. I'd not really known about this band and had kind of chosen them at random. It was a really bass heavy sound and when the bass cam in i felt as if I was in heaven - I'd heard nothing like it at the time.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xjmpBfk9uo[/media]
[/quote]

Enjoyed that mate, never heard it before!! Nice story.

The topic and the perceived age of you all suggested that I may not like this (sweeping generalisation!)
10-12 yrs playing is all good but that's still plenty of time to learn bad habits like over-playing and self indulgence.
It should all be about the music, the song, the melody, the groove and how people play together to serve the aforementioned.
But you know this.
Good work.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1330704270' post='1561959']
Jake, I really enjoyed that! :) Great playing by all, but hey what a fantastic singer that young lady is. B)
[/quote]
Aha she's not bad is she :)

[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1330711857' post='1562113']
That was really good. All great musicians, hope you all go far.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, really appreciated.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1330775432' post='1562770']
The topic and the perceived age of you all suggested that I may not like this (sweeping generalisation!)
10-12 yrs playing is all good but that's still plenty of time to learn bad habits like over-playing and self indulgence.
It should all be about the music, the song, the melody, the groove and how people play together to serve the aforementioned.
But you know this.
Good work.
[/quote]

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1340979044' post='1712376']
Fab, loved it!

When I dream about bands, it is about being in one as good as this...
[/quote]
[quote name='stoker' timestamp='1340979181' post='1712378']
That is really, really good!
[/quote]

You guys are making me blush now :blush:

If you keep at it it's going to start going to my head :lol:

As soon as I heard this, I sent it to my pub-rock band as an example of less-is-more. As a counterbalance to that 2-overdriven-guitars-and-heavy-handed-drummer-rock-covers band, I've started the process of putting together my own female-fronted covers band aiming at wine bars and coffee houses, and I sent this video to a prospective singer as an example of what I'm aiming at. I really like the stripped-down vibe, and I just love the singer's voice. For me, that's the type of band I've been looking for for years.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1340984785' post='1712477']
I sent it to my pub-rock band as an example of less-is-more. As a counterbalance to that 2-overdriven-guitars-and-heavy-handed-drummer-rock-covers band, I've startely like the stripped-down vibe, and I just love the singer's voice. For me, that's the type of band I've been looking for for years.
Steve
[/quote]

Beat me too it Steve. Completely agree that the "stripped down" vibe really works especially as the Stevie Wonder version is pretty busy.
Awesome job Jake.
Incidently are these guys from RNCM and do you gig around Manchester? Would love to catch one of your gigs.