Guitar through a bass amp....

56 replies to this topic

#31 BabuHS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

I have an Edwards Les Paul which I play a lot through my Hartke HyDrive combo, actually sounds great! Has a really dark sound to it, and distortion works very nicely through it. Best not to try playing a bass through a guitar amp though, I've seen damage done that way and it isn't pretty...

#32 Mog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

It wont do any damage.
How good will it sound? Depends on the amp and what you're after really.
Josh Homme gets some killer stoner tones out of bass gear.

#33 EdwardHimself

Hyper elite loser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Interests:Music (obvs).

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostBabuHS, on 24 January 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I have an Edwards Les Paul which I play a lot through my Hartke HyDrive combo, actually sounds great! Has a really dark sound to it, and distortion works very nicely through it. Best not to try playing a bass through a guitar amp though, I've seen damage done that way and it isn't pretty...

It's ok as long as you don't play it too loud. I used to practice with bass on a guitar amp, you could get some pretty nice distortion out of it.
EH

#34 gafbass02

ThreadKiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

This thread inspired me to go back and try again with a Berg hooked up to my new combo.

Sounds pretty good ! I'm going to risk a gig with it next weekend.
www.facebook.com/placebotributeband www.facebook.com/mydesignmusic www.facebook.com/thefurtiveband
My kit: 1990 Fender MIJ modded jazz bass '08 Fender cij '75 reissue jazz, 'bassmaster funk', epiphone tbird limited edition, zoom b9.1ut,
MarkBass MoMark 800, Bergantino Ae210's OBBM cables, gramma pad, Wizard 'GAFfer' pickups, igig cases.

#35 Ancient Mariner

How do I delete my account?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

It won't harm the amp, but there's a very good chance it's be harsh and toppy sounding. An electro-acoustic is OK through a bass amp and my guitar synth sounds OK. However I am a tone snob, and trying one of my electrics through either the Hartke, Laney (or a mate's Peavey TNT) sounds as nasty as running it direct to PA (which is a very nasty thing to do indeed). You'll get away with it generally using a valve amp because of the way it handles frequencies differently from SS, and also because valves provide that bit more compression, generally..
My feedback

Light travels faster than sound: that's why some people appear bright until they speak.

#36 mcnach

Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts
  • Interests:All things musical and bass in particular

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostEdwardHimself, on 17 January 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

It won't do anything bad to your amp, but it doesn't sound particularly great.

This.

No bass cab I have tried sounds very good for guitar.
You can just about get away with clean sounds. Some clean sounds. Still not very nice. But distortion in particular sounds awful :(

bass player with Sea Bass Kid - http://www.facebook.com/seabasskid & http://www.seabasskid.org

and ska/reggae band Urang Matang - https://www.facebook.com/urang.matang & http://www.urangmatang.com

(1) MusicMan Stingray (2002, 2EQ - now with John East MMSR 3-band preamp), natural with maple fingerboard.
(2) MusicMan SUB (2003, 2EQ). white/rosewood
(3) Squier Jazz (1994) red, with J-Retro
(4) Maruszczyk Jake 4 P/JJ (2015), natural, maple fingerboard
(5) Fender Precision Classic 50 (2014), fiesta red, maple fingerboard

and also:
Maruszczyk Jake 4 revP (2015), red, maple fingerboard / Squier Precision JJ Matt Freeman (2014) vintage white & maple
JHS Vintage EJM96 Jazz (2005), black/rosewood / Squier Precision Mike Dirnt (2007) olympic white maple / Sue Ryder RP-1 (2011) fretless white /
-
MarkBass LM3 (2009) / Mesa Subway D800+ (2017) /
TKS S112 (x2) / Barefaced Two10 (x2)
Busking amp: QTX QR10PA (rechargeable battery)
-

#37 oldslapper

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

How funny!
Last night I tried my Baja Tele through my LMII and mini 48 cab and loved it.
I was going to post a new topic.....but...
The tone shaping needed a bit of tweaking, but it gave the Tele some lovely rich tones, great for jazz melodies and funk/soul rhythm playing.
Seriously would gig this set up.

#38 EdwardHimself

Hyper elite loser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Interests:Music (obvs).

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

View Postoldslapper, on 03 February 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

How funny!
Last night I tried my Baja Tele through my LMII and mini 48 cab and loved it.
I was going to post a new topic.....but...
The tone shaping needed a bit of tweaking, but it gave the Tele some lovely rich tones, great for jazz melodies and funk/soul rhythm playing.
Seriously would gig this set up.

I'll give you that, it certainly has that tight bass sound that I can imagine would be quite good for jazz.
EH

#39 Leon Transaxle

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostBabuHS, on 24 January 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

But it sounds really good as the driver starts to break up right up to the point that it splits apart completely.
Fender Deluxe Precision Special
Ibanez Artcore AGB200
Squier Bass VI
Westone Thunder I

Anarchic Freight - http://soundcloud.com/leontransaxle Warriors of Pastor Skull - http://soundcloud.com/pastorskull

#40 randythoades

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:My Printing and graphic design company www.redeyeprint.co.uk
    Rockabilly / Blues / Country rock. Guitars and Bass of course!

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

I have had and used all manner of practice amps and have never got on with them. I ended up selling all my guitar amps and running a Line 6 pod HD into the effects loop return socket of my ashdown. It bypasses the eq section and just uses it as a power amp and works fine. I use ashdown VS cabs with 12" speakers and with a touch of treble EQ on the Pod sounded great both at practice and rehearsal levels although I have not gigged with it. I now use an older Zoom unit for more lo fi sounds and it still sounds good, and very controllable.
I did end up buying other guitar amps, a Fender Superchamp X2 (essentially a valve pre amp and modelling section) and a Vox Ac4 to take round to mates houses for jams as it is much easier than grabbing my bass rig, but I prefer the sound straight into the bass amp.
Thomann European Slimline Upright bass
Kent Armstrong magnetic pickup
K+K Bassmax

1969 Aria Violin bass 1420b
1971 Aria Violin bass 1420b
1981 Aria Pro II TSB 350
Custom (home) build medium scale P-bass
Custom (home) build J-bass
Bassix EUB

Hartke HA3500
GK MB200
PJB D200
Ashdown VS112 cab + VS212 cab + VS115 cab
Trace Elliot Boxer 30 practice amp

Ohana Concert electro ukuele
Korala bass uke

More guitars and gadgets that I can list...or that my wife knows about.

www.junkshoptoys.net

Feedback

#41 jazzyvee

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Musician, Photographer and Jazz radio broadcaster.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

The times I've got a decent sound from a guitar in a bass amp is if the guitar is electric/acoustic or an electric with a piezzo switched on like a parker fly.

However apart from that I used to have one of these peavey micro bass combo's to practice with at home and that was a great sounding amp and wonderful to play through using a strat. I used to take it to many a jam session or small gig.
Posted Image

Edited by jazzyvee, 20 December 2013 - 11:38 AM.

Bass player for Musical Youth, my NotStrictlyJazz Quartet and occasional session gigs. Also Jazz Radio presenter and photographer.
I love and play Alembic basses exclusively but am not closed minded about learning about other basses and the business of bass.

#42 stu_g

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:playing bass buying basses and the odd guitar or two
    listening to music classic rock metal punk
    watching music dvds drinking beer and on occasion snakebite
    cars

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

I bought a redwood 5 tube head from dawsons 69 and i run it through a carlsbro monitor
I bought it for guitar but i played my bass through it and it sounds great in the man cave
Also not too much eq fiddling between bass and guitar as its only treble bass gain and volume
Im half tempted to sell some of my other guitar amps as i really like the redwood
aria sb black n gold www.youtube.com/71bassg
godin bg4 https://soundcloud.com/stuartgeary
bass centre stadium bass
ibanez rs900
ibanez rd500
epiphone thunderbird pro
ibanez sr505
cheri p bass
ovation celebrity cc174
ibanez aem34b

#43 Kiwi

Big, bouncy and now officially "dangerous".

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,614 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

My EBS Combo 60 can be used with acoustics anyway (according to the user manual) so I use it with electric too. Its a little too hi-fi to be honest but settles down through a speaker sim.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, FEA Labs Dual Band compressor, Future Impact bass synth, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, Trace Elliot Hexavalve, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#44 sifi2112

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

I play both guitar & bass thru my Traynor Darkhorse valve head for practice but do switch between two 8" cabs as I have both one for each instrument. So I'd say to OP but try a guitar cab with your bass amp, just take care with the volume & watch the impedance & wattage etc :)
Vigier Excess
J&D modded jazz
Darkglass M900 / B7K
Bagend D12-D / S12

my feedback link ...
http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2307038

#45 Joeyfivebags

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Had a scan through and couldn't see it mentioned so here goes Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein uses Ampeg think they are SVT Classics. All dependent on your opinion of misfits sound i suppose but people do do it.

#46 rapscallion

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

I run my Telemaster through a Fender SS combo into my Little Bastard. Sounds sweet.

Jazz > Whammy > Stache > Bastard

Feedback thread -
http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1

#47 Bassnut62

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Interests:I run a 6-9 piece disco/funk band in Notts. Let me know if you want a party band for a function or event - we travel thru East Midlands. Thanks

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

i recently sold my '70s Fender 2x15 Bassman cab to a guitarist.
He's sticking his 70s Fender 2x12 Twin on top of it.......that thing must be able to tear your face off!!
He says it is v sweet, clear and full with big rich bass tones for his guitar.
His band doesn't use a bass player.
"Make my funk the P Funk....I want to get funked up!" (George Clinton, c.1974)

Band: https://www.facebook.com/discoprophets

[u]Feedback:
http://basschat.co.u...4109-bassnut62/

[u]Gear:
More than Mrs Bassnut knows about.....

#48 ezbass

Turn it up until your pants flap!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • Interests:Bass (duh!), Guitar, Rock Climbing, Golf, Snowboarding & Skiing

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Best 'guitar' amp I ever owned was a Fender '59 Bassman; marvellous tone. My current Phil Jones Cub does very nicely too, just add pedals for colour.
Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom (JJ), Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom Fretless (MM), Rickenbacker 4003S, Rob Allen MB-2, Phil Jones Flightcase, Phil Jones Cub & PB300

My Feedback

#49 GrammeFriday

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Coincidentally enough, just the other day I plugged my Les Paul Standard into my TC rig (RH750 + 1 x RS210 + 1 x RS212) just out of curiosity and was surprised at how good it sounded. Not as good as having a full fat Marshall stack, obviously, but good enough for me to consider leaving my guitar amp at home next time I'm callled on to do some 6-string stuff live, either in rehearsal or at a gig.

#50 DorsetBlue

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostGrammeFriday, on 05 June 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Coincidentally enough, just the other day I plugged my Les Paul Standard into my TC rig (RH750 + 1 x RS210 + 1 x RS212) just out of curiosity and was surprised at how good it sounded. Not as good as having a full fat Marshall stack, obviously, but good enough for me to consider leaving my guitar amp at home next time I'm callled on to do some 6-string stuff live, either in rehearsal or at a gig.

Likewise, I have been plugging my G3 into my TC BH250/BC210 and was getting a reasonable sound out of it but was not entirely satisfied. Have been considering getting a Blackstar ID amp but decided to give the G3 another go last night and changed the output settings to Stack Power Amp and it now sounds pretty damn good (if a little loud at 9 oclock gain) with EQ all at 12 oclock.
Purely for home use however, would not dream of inflicting my dreadful guitar playing on the public.
Bass

Chowny CHB-1 (LH), ACG Graft 5 Recurve (LH), Cort B4LH (ACG EQ-01), Squier VM Jazz Bass (LH), Harley Benton Kahuna UkeBass (LH conv)

Thomann Rockabilly Flames BKE 3/4
TC BH250 - TC BC210
Zoom B3, Behringer BDI21
Orange Crush Pix CR25BX

Guitar

Gibson 2013 SG Standard Min E-Tune (LH)
, Vintage LVS6, Fender CD-100 (LH), Harley Benton TE-20
Zoom G3
, Behringer UM100
Line 6 Spider III 75W

#51 GrammeFriday

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Yeah, my guitar playing skills are not massively in demand, either. And of course supply always massively outstrips demand for guitar players anyway, so I'm more than happy to be known as a bassist first and foremost!

#52 tom1946

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Interests:My 1962 Anglia 105e.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:06 AM

I play my Eastwood 12 string semi through my Orange 100w bass amp and it sounds better than the marshall valve pre-amp guitar combo, don't get that at all. :blink:
MY FEEDBACK

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...t=0&start=0