Why become a member? ×

Guitar through a bass amp....

LukeFRC

I often play my electro -acoustic through my Markbass combo & it sounds excellent (Markbass do also make acousic guitar rigs).
I plugged a Yamaha strat thing into it & it sounded pants. But my mate plugged a Fender strat into a Vox AC-30 & it sounded pants too. :crazy:

I left a 2 guitar band a few years ago. I helped them recruit a bassist but it didn't work out and they decided to carry on as a 3 piece with 2 guitars.

One guitarist switched to playing through a bass amp. Really overdriven, dirty, sound going into the amp from pedals. I think the idea was to emphasise the lower frequencies but not sure if that worked or if the amp was just replicating the sound put in which was created by the guitar and pedals.

Suited the style of music (downtuned hardcore punk) well IMO.

I have an Edwards Les Paul which I play a lot through my Hartke HyDrive combo, actually sounds great! Has a really dark sound to it, and distortion works very nicely through it. Best not to try playing a bass through a guitar amp though, I've seen damage done that way and it isn't pretty...

[quote name='BabuHS' timestamp='1327415222' post='1510832']
I have an Edwards Les Paul which I play a lot through my Hartke HyDrive combo, actually sounds great! Has a really dark sound to it, and distortion works very nicely through it. Best not to try playing a bass through a guitar amp though, I've seen damage done that way and it isn't pretty...
[/quote]

It's ok as long as you don't play it too loud. I used to practice with bass on a guitar amp, you could get some pretty nice distortion out of it.

It won't harm the amp, but there's a very good chance it's be harsh and toppy sounding. An electro-acoustic is OK through a bass amp and my guitar synth sounds OK. However I am a tone snob, and trying one of my electrics through either the Hartke, Laney (or a mate's Peavey TNT) sounds as nasty as running it direct to PA (which is a very nasty thing to do indeed). You'll get away with it generally using a valve amp because of the way it handles frequencies differently from SS, and also because valves provide that bit more compression, generally..

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1326838914' post='1502758']
It won't do anything bad to your amp, but it doesn't sound particularly great.
[/quote]

This.

No bass cab I have tried sounds very good for guitar.
You can just about get away with clean sounds. Some clean sounds. Still not very nice. But distortion in particular sounds awful :(

How funny!
Last night I tried my Baja Tele through my LMII and mini 48 cab and loved it.
I was going to post a new topic.....but...
The tone shaping needed a bit of tweaking, but it gave the Tele some lovely rich tones, great for jazz melodies and funk/soul rhythm playing.
Seriously would gig this set up.

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1328267478' post='1524600']
How funny!
Last night I tried my Baja Tele through my LMII and mini 48 cab and loved it.
I was going to post a new topic.....but...
The tone shaping needed a bit of tweaking, but it gave the Tele some lovely rich tones, great for jazz melodies and funk/soul rhythm playing.
Seriously would gig this set up.
[/quote]

I'll give you that, it certainly has that tight bass sound that I can imagine would be quite good for jazz.

[quote name='BabuHS' timestamp='1327415222' post='1510832']
[/quote]But it sounds really good as the driver starts to break up right up to the point that it splits apart completely.

• 1 year later...

I have had and used all manner of practice amps and have never got on with them. I ended up selling all my guitar amps and running a Line 6 pod HD into the effects loop return socket of my ashdown. It bypasses the eq section and just uses it as a power amp and works fine. I use ashdown VS cabs with 12" speakers and with a touch of treble EQ on the Pod sounded great both at practice and rehearsal levels although I have not gigged with it. I now use an older Zoom unit for more lo fi sounds and it still sounds good, and very controllable.
I did end up buying other guitar amps, a Fender Superchamp X2 (essentially a valve pre amp and modelling section) and a Vox Ac4 to take round to mates houses for jams as it is much easier than grabbing my bass rig, but I prefer the sound straight into the bass amp.

The times I've got a decent sound from a guitar in a bass amp is if the guitar is electric/acoustic or an electric with a piezzo switched on like a parker fly.

However apart from that I used to have one of these peavey micro bass combo's to practice with at home and that was a great sounding amp and wonderful to play through using a strat. I used to take it to many a jam session or small gig.

Edited by jazzyvee

I bought a redwood 5 tube head from dawsons £69 and i run it through a carlsbro monitor
I bought it for guitar but i played my bass through it and it sounds great in the man cave
Also not too much eq fiddling between bass and guitar as its only treble bass gain and volume
Im half tempted to sell some of my other guitar amps as i really like the redwood

• 1 month later...

I play both guitar & bass thru my Traynor Darkhorse valve head for practice but do switch between two 8" cabs as I have both one for each instrument. So I'd say to OP but try a guitar cab with your bass amp, just take care with the volume & watch the impedance & wattage etc :)

• 3 months later...

i recently sold my '70s Fender 2x15 Bassman cab to a guitarist.
He's sticking his 70s Fender 2x12 Twin on top of it.......that thing must be able to tear your face off!!
He says it is v sweet, clear and full with big rich bass tones for his guitar.
His band doesn't use a bass player.

Coincidentally enough, just the other day I plugged my Les Paul Standard into my TC rig (RH750 + 1 x RS210 + 1 x RS212) just out of curiosity and was surprised at how good it sounded. Not as good as having a full fat Marshall stack, obviously, but good enough for me to consider leaving my guitar amp at home next time I'm callled on to do some 6-string stuff live, either in rehearsal or at a gig.

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1401975534' post='2468825']
Coincidentally enough, just the other day I plugged my Les Paul Standard into my TC rig (RH750 + 1 x RS210 + 1 x RS212) just out of curiosity and was surprised at how good it sounded. Not as good as having a full fat Marshall stack, obviously, but good enough for me to consider leaving my guitar amp at home next time I'm callled on to do some 6-string stuff live, either in rehearsal or at a gig.
[/quote]

Likewise, I have been plugging my G3 into my TC BH250/BC210 and was getting a reasonable sound out of it but was not entirely satisfied. Have been considering getting a Blackstar ID amp but decided to give the G3 another go last night and changed the output settings to Stack Power Amp and it now sounds pretty damn good (if a little loud at 9 oclock gain) with EQ all at 12 oclock.
Purely for home use however, would not dream of inflicting my dreadful guitar playing on the public.