Why become a member? ×

Pickup recommendation

gafbass02

Ive just got an epiphone les paul lp300. Which Sounds great but feeds back like a banshee at gig volume. Is there Anything I can replace it With that keeps the cool chrome cover look but Is less feedback prone?
My V has an invader in it which is amazing but very expensive and not attractive at all!
I use a high gain sound but don't struggle with the invader at all.
Trouble is:
A im skint, so it can't cost a load.
B I'd like to preserve the chrome covered look if at all poss.
C I know nothing about guitar stuff!!

Edited by gafbass02

Heard good things about GFS pickups, although I've not had first hand experience. Apparently they aren't a million miles away from the 'big' names, and are supposed to be pretty great for the price. I've got my eye on some of their humbucker-sized P90's to spruce up my Epi

I had a GFS before and it wasn't immune from squeal nor did it really sound as good as I wanted, I ended up replacing it with the Seymour Duncan JB I should have bought in the first place.

I'd say keep an eye out for second hand deals here or on other forums. If you want a great all-round humbucker, the Seymour Duncan sh-4 can be bought with a cover. There are also hundreds of Gibson 490t owners out there looking to sell. You can buy a pickup cover seperately and apply it to most humbuckers if you really want the look.

Best kept secret in the guitar world (loathe to let it go, but you are in need) early 80s Hondo 2 Les Paul copies came with Di Marzio Humbuckers that are utterly brilliant. You can pick up the guitar for about 35 quid on the bay, strip out the pickups and sell off the bits to make your money back. I have got a few sets of them this way, and still have one set in an epi SG which is now lovely.
Just make sure they are not the shiny paf looking ones, as those hondo ones are unbuckers, and sh*t.

double check the polepiece spacing, i had an epiphone les paul and it had wider spacing than a gibson (so the lovely seymour duncan JB i scored from ebay didn't line up) personally i prefer the zebra uncovered pickups in a les paul but each to their own, ebay can throw up bargains if you search carefully, i paid about 25 quid for the jb and they sound great, (especially matched with a 59 or a jazz at the bridge)

another option might be catswhisker, slightly cheaper than wizard and all built to order (you tell him the tone you want and he builds the pickup)

[url="http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/index.html"]http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/index.html[/url]

Matt

That's handy. Cheers dude. I let a secret go last week, so maybe it's karma! Course now it's in public ...

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1326884451' post='1503118']
Best kept secret in the guitar world (loathe to let it go, but you are in need) early 80s Hondo 2 Les Paul copies came with Di Marzio Humbuckers that are utterly brilliant. You can pick up the guitar for about 35 quid on the bay, strip out the pickups and sell off the bits to make your money back. I have got a few sets of them this way, and still have one set in an epi SG which is now lovely.
Just make sure they are not the shiny paf looking ones, as those hondo ones are unbuckers, and sh*t.
[/quote]

Depending on whether you like the gain to come from the guitar, or the amp, the Seymour Duncan 59 is a great pickup. Not a high gain pickup at all, but turn the gain up on your amp and it sounds great, really good rock tones, bit like Slash. Back off on the volume on the gtr, and it cleans up nicely.