Why become a member? ×

MarkBass F1 or EA Micro for doubling? Or A.N.Other?

Clarky

Thinking this through further - and trying to eliminate the GAS effect - I have a perfectly good amp in the AI Clarus which has bells and whistles I don't need but which I will have to sell at a loss for another amp which will not be better (at least not for DB) but which will be simpler and a bit cheaper. I think I will take Geoff's advice and stick with the AI head, at least for now.

Edited by Clarky

From conversations I have had with DB players the EA amps are one of the best. I have an EA iAmp, but I don't play upright, so I can't really give my recommendation other than EA gear is very good. Been using mine for direct recording for about 4yrs now and it's probably the most transparent and functional amp I have ever heard.

I would probably look at the LMII and LMIII Markbass amps if you want to go down that route because you have a balanced XLR input which would be a better for a DB. Not many amps out there have that. My iAmp does, but I have never used it.

Update: keeping the Acoustic Image and have bought, on Keith's advice, the little GK MB200 amp for backup/practice/rehearsals/small gigs - there was a deal for £206 shipped at SoundsLive which really is peanuts if this head is as good as people say.

Clarky, I don't know if your Wizzy is still for the chop, but FWIW when I had the cab I used it with a GB Neopak (500W/2ohm). I also had (still have) an EA MLine, which is a Wizzy with a bit deeper response. With the pair of cabs this was capable of producing volumes that I'd never need (both these EA cabs are very efficient) which is why I sold the Wizzy.

Now for electric bass I think the Neopak and Wizzy is a great sounding rig (and it's very light, small and modular). The Neopak has a tube preamp allowing you to dial in a bit of dirt, a very nice compressor which can be switched out of circuit (unlike the more recent GB offerings) and a parametric mid range control. It is based on a linear power amp and a switching power supply. They were only produced for a short while before the [s]shittles[/s] (shuttles - a freudian slip) came out with their switching amp stages, and second hand they go for peanuts.

But the reason I'm mentioning it is that one of the local double bass players is always borrowing this amp when he gigs in preference to his own EA one (an ia500 I think) so I guess it's up to the job for upright as well.

If you ever come across one it's maybe worth a punt.

Edited by BB2000