Why become a member? ×

MarkBass F1 or EA Micro for doubling? Or A.N.Other?

Clarky

I am trying to sell my over-spec'd Acoustic Image head (notch filters, phase switch, different room ambients and EQ are all provided by my LR Baggs venue DI pedal so I effectively end up with these functions twice in my signal chain!). i want to replace it with a simpler (and cheaper) head that can be used equally for electric and double bass. The requirements are that it be:

- compact and light
- powerful enough for rock gigs (signal chain: SFX preamp > head; or no preamp at all)
- sonically very clear (ie, uncoloured) for use with DB (signal chain: LR Baggs preamp > head) - which rules out lots of amps
- high quality

Based on having owned a Markbass CMD121P combo, I reckon the MarkBass F1 fits the bill nicely. I did own an EA Doubler but didn't like the DB-specific features (notch/phase etc) which didn't sound as good as my Acoustic Image Clarus. However, the EA Micro is a more straightforward head, without the DB functions that are superfluous to me, and may fit the bill too.

Any thoughts here, ladies and gents?

[quote name='bassvid75' timestamp='1326967057' post='1504306']
i've heard from a friend of mine that the Mesa Boogie Walkabout 300 its perfect for both.[/quote]

I use a Mesa Walkabout 12 for both leccy and DB. I don't really aim to reproduce the acoustic tone exactly but it does a good job for both. Nice flexible parametric eq.

Thanks gents. I used to have a Mesa WA combo but my recollection was that its very warm and tubey, which might sound good with DB in a bigger band with drummer etc but I would have thought would not be acousticky enough for an acoustic small band? Great for electric bass, undoubtedly though

I think the best two options are AI Clarus and EA doubler. Its likely that you won't like the micro if you didn't like the doubler as they are pretty much the same without DB features. What did you think of its 'flat' sound?

I used a mark bass 12" combo provided by a club a lot and really liked it as a doubling amp. I still prefer AI or EA doubler for upright over any other amp. That said I prefer mark bass for electric.
....I'm not much help! :-)

Good luck Clarky!

I think the doubling bit is the hard part. Making the amp right for both leccy and DB can be a challenge. Still, I think the AI with different preamps in front would do the trick. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Focus for electric with something like a Tech21 pedal in front.

Hmmm, thus far I am getting the message not to sell my Acoustic Image head, after all! :huh:

Edit: and in response to your question Geoff, I found the EA Doubler had a slightly synthetic (compressed?) sound to it compared with AI, noticeably less 'natural' sounding with my double bass. I know loads swear by this amp though (I got pretty shot down on TalkBass when I criticised it) so it could have been the combination of the bass, the piezo pickup and the amp between them that just didn't work for me, rather than specifically the amp.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1326977382' post='1504552']
I`ve been getting good results with my LM II for both leccy and Upright, by using the amp eq fairly flat for electric and using a pre-amp into the FX return socket for the upright.
It`s powerful and clean and suits both jobs depending on what cab you use.
[/quote]
Thanks Monckyman, thats the head that was in my old Markbass CMD121P combo which did indeed work really well for both. I wonder whether the F1, which I know when launched was described by many as cleaner and less than warm than a LMII, is better or worse suited to DB????

Have you considered the Genz Shuttle 9.0? On sale for £550 at Bass Direct.

I know it doesn't have seperate low and high mid dials, but it does have one semi-parametric mid. It would also be fantastic for electric bass.

I have heard the Shuttle 6.0 is great for Double Bass...although personally I am not qualified to judge as I dont (currently) play double bass.

I'm using GK MB200 for most of my gigs.

It's great with upright & slab, weighs nothing & is cheap as chips to buy.

There's an aux in if you base a preamp for upright, the Eminence works well without a preamp, simples!

There's a second hand one on here for under £200, they're only about £210 new!

For louder gigs I use the GK MB210 combo, again it works well with both upright and fender.

I've had Markbass, Doubler & Acoustic Image & Genz Benz & Phil Jones, still prefer the little GK

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1326981265' post='1504637']
I'm using GK MB200 for most of my gigs.

It's great with upright & slab, weighs nothing & is cheap as chips to buy.

There's a second hand one on here.

For louder gigs I use the GK MB210 combo, again it works well with both upright and fender.
[/quote]

Yeh a lot of guys on Talkbass are using these and love them. Perhaps buy one and if it works sell the AI?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1326979287' post='1504590']
Thanks Gareth, I did think about that - thats a great deal! Also the Markbass LMTube 800 which has a ton of power and the option to dial in or out the tube preamp
[/quote]

I was trying the MB Tube 800 yesterday through a Bag End 1x15 - sounded great to me. Easy to get a crystal clear sound or add warmth from the tube if desired.

I've got the Herbie with me today - will give it a blast & let you know how it sounds :)

Interesting that you favour the GK so much Keith. As Geoff said, there's a fan club too on Talkbass. My problem is that the MB200 would no way cut it against the 14 piece full-blown Rattlin Bone and i really only want one amp. Maybe its larger brother, MB500, is the answer (specs below):

MB 500

• 500 watts @ 4 ohms, 350 watts

@ 8 ohms

• 10dB pad

• Four-band active EQ w/variable contour

• Effects loop and tuner output with mute

• Headphone/line output

• XLR out, pre/post EQ & ground lift switch

• Boost footswitch

• Two speakon outputs

MB 200

• 200 watts @ 4 ohms, 140 watts

@ 8 ohms

• 10dB pad

• Four-band active EQ w/contour

• Headphone/line output

• XLR out, pre/post EQ

• Speakon output

OK - very quick test MB Tube 800 vs MB MoMark Sd 800 vs ToneHammer 500.

All into a single Aguilar SL112 (tweeter turned half way) and using a Steed Herbie Flowers rep J bass with flat wounds.

I started with the TH500 as it's what I have at home - nice warm muscular sound, definitely 'voiced' to sound vintage but a decent top end even with flats. Clarky - you know what these sound like so i won't dwell on this one :)

Then the MB Tube 800 - on Solid state only this was much cleaner & sharper. If anything a little too clean for me & seemed to lack a bit of 'depth' after the TH. N.B. I didn't touch any tone controls on any amp, everything left completely flat. Then I wound the tube control all the way round and the overall tone warmed up a lot, still not as vintagey sounding as the TH and no hint of break-up with the passive J bass. For me, the killer setting on the MB800 was pretty much bang in the middle of SS & Tube - this now had all the depth of the TH500 but with more bite & presence.

Clarky - in terms of size the Tube 800 is pretty much bang on the same as the TH500. Slightly deeper but that's about it.

The MoMark was a whole different experience - ultra clean & hi-fi sounding. Really picked up finger noise, even from the flats, and sounded a bit too harsh for me. I've played this before through a 4x10 though & it sounded awesome as a growly rock head :)

Edited by molan

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1326982104' post='1504653']
Maybe its larger brother, MB500, is the answer (specs below):

[/quote]

That's more or less the MB210 combo head, I've not used mine with a 14 piece or added an extension cab so I can't help there.

I just know they work for me as doublers.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326988645' post='1504799']
Maybe you shouldn't have sold your F1 last year Clarky ;-)

Let me know if you want to borrow it for a few gigs.
[/quote]
Thanks for the offer Dave. Annoyingly I didn't try the F1 on a double bass gig so I don't know if it works well in this setting - its great for electric

Bass Direct have just updated their site with info on the new Genz Shuttle's, and to be honest, the little 6.2 12T combo is perfect, and apparently EXCELLENT with Double Bass as Ed Friedland states in his recent review. I think the price for a new 6.2 amp with more 'ompph' and a nice new 1x12 neo cabinet is quite reasonable. I am considering one myself.

Markbass have just announced the Big Bang 500W digital amp. If its basically an F1/500 but with aux/headphones and a better mute, plus cheaper (hopefully) then I'll be interested. If its pushing towards £700.00 ill be going to Genz, because I know the support will be there all the time.

I'm also interested in the MB GK amps...it would be great to see what the GK MB800 price will be.

I did try the Markbass LM800 and the LMT800, and to be honest, the LM3 sounded 'better' and it was cheaper. The 800W versions don't have the same tone...much more of a baked in EQ (massive down low, and a spike in the high mids) which can make them sound quite sterile.