Why become a member? ×

SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!!! TC Electronic BG500-115 Combo

Mudpup

[b][u]NOW SOLD[/u][/b]

[b]TC Electronic BG500-115 combo and Roqsolid cover.[/b]

Bought from Bass Merchant in September 2011 and in absolutely pristine condition. Has been used in a non smoking, pet free house and for about 4 rehearsals. Selling due to buying another amp and running out of space!

Its a 500watt standalone combo - no extension cabs required. 15" speaker and tweeter.

It has 3 really useful programmable presets and a bunch of TC features such as SpectraComp multiband compressor, TubeTone valve emulator, TweeterTone variable tweeter control and a tuner. Also has 2 mid shape contour presets, headphone output and an auxiliary input for connecting an iPod and playing through your headphones.

Bought new they list at £539 but can be realistically found for £499 (which is what i paid for it). The cover was an extra £50.

Any demo welcome, can deliver Herts, Essex, London, Kent by arrangement. Sorry, wont post it.

Pics below - please click on the images

[attachment=98165:TC Combo 1.jpg]

[attachment=98166:TC Combo 2.jpg]

[attachment=98167:TC Combo 3.jpg]

[attachment=98168:TC Combo 4.jpg]

[attachment=98169:TC Combo 5.jpg]

Edited by Mudpup

I have a couple of technical questions if I may:

I used to have an RH450 which I ran through an RS210. The amp in this looks to be pretty much the same but with the front panel rejigged a bit. I'm guessing the sound would have a bit more bottom end with the 115? Related to that, what's your take on the contour controls (which I presume are a substitute for the more sophisticated tone shaping on the RH450)?

I know modern bass speakers can handle a lot more oomph than they used to, but instinctively 500w seems to be asking quite a lot of a single 15" driver. Penny for your thoughts?

I am interested in this rig, but have limitations as to weight. After a back injury a couple of years ago I can't lift anything too heavy. Do you have a figure for the weight by any chance?

TIA

Hi Lefty

The combo weighs 70lbs - its a bit more than some of the opposition which seem to come in around 50lbs - but because its sort of a taller, narrow shape it seems quite easy to grab and lift if you know what i mean. I was initially a bit sceptical about the weight when i bought it, but in reality it hasnt been an issue. It has 2 good high, side mounted steel handles.

Re the contour controls - they both act as a scoop but with different parameters (prefer number 2 myself as it seems to give more of a rumble).You can also have them both switched out obviously for a middier tone. Im not familiar with the 450 for a direct comparison i'm afraid.

It has loads of headroom. Ive never needed to have it above 3 in a rehearsal room with 2 guitarists and a loud drummer and there is no distortion or fartyness occuring even when you crank the bass up. The 15 definitely gives a bigger, warmer rounder sound than 10's for sure. It seems to be from the "set everything to zero then tweak a little bit" school. The TweeterTone makes quite a subtle difference to the tone as well as adjusting the tweeter level - it appears to round the sound a little as its reduced.

Its a fantastic amp for the money and should see you through most gigs.

Heres a link to the user manual
http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/BG500_us.pdf

and some blurb from TC with a few interesting video demos here
http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg500.asp

Cheers for the interest