Why become a member? ×

Can a pedal break a power supply???

BassInMyFace

hi, first post on basschat, very excite!!!

i bought the mxr bass auto-q a fair while ago of ebay for a steal, all was good, great sound, very musical then i dunno what happened but would spit and fart and not work thru batteries or power supply. boo.

the really strange thing is tho i have seriously bought and used 4 different power supplies with the exact right output and polarity only to get it to maybe work for one session and then, bizarrely actually break the power supply, aka THE POWER SUPPLY NEVER WORKS AGAIN FOR ANYTHING!!!!! no led, no power.

is it possible for a pedal to short out the power supply???? logically it doesnt make sense for me but all i know is what has happened and i have an amazing pedal collecting dust under a sofa.

i would greatly appreciate any techy people coming up with a clever explanation and hopefully a solution!!!!

Most likely there is something at fault in the pedal that is troubling and killing each power supply.

Most likely candidate is that something is causing a drain on the power supply past it's specified output, such as a short, but may not be an obvious cable short. Could be anywhere!

If you want to keep it, you'll probably need some electronics guy to look at it. Replacing the PSU (which you've tried) is the easy first check...

The joys of buying from eBay... :)

cheers for the input guys, my thoughts are definitely its a problem with the pedal. the power supplies have all been standalone ones, not multi power and different wall plugs as well.
it struggles with battery power as well, sometimes works, sometimes doesnt. so its gotta be the pedal itself right??

unfortunately its quite nasty to get inside it, built like a brick poophouse. ill have a look but it could be a short anywhere i guess.

long shot but does anyone have any experience with the innards of this pedal or similar ones with similar probs??