Why become a member? ×

Richard Sadler of the Neil Cowley Trio - Watch 'Later...with Jools Holland'

SMART

The hot jazz trio of the moment is the Neil Cowley Trio (www.neilcowleytrio.com), winners of the 2007 BBC Jazz Award and they're on 'Later...' this evening if anyone is not aware already.

Richard is a great upright player and he kindly sent us a photo taken in the 'Later...' studio when it was recorded earlier this week on Tuesday.

We at S.M.A.R.T helped with some cracking gear blend his microphone and David Gage pickup and to amplify his bass but more on that (and sorry about the unintended pun!) later...

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

[quote name='SMART' post='169927' date='Apr 4 2008, 05:48 PM']The hot jazz trio of the moment is the Neil Cowley Trio (www.neilcowleytrio.com), winners of the 2007 BBC Jazz Award and they're on 'Later...' this evening if anyone is not aware already.

Richard is a great upright player and he kindly sent us a photo taken in the 'Later...' studio when it was recorded earlier this week on Tuesday.

We at S.M.A.R.T helped with some cracking gear blend his microphone and David Gage pickup and to amplify his bass but more on that (and sorry about the unintended pun!) later...

Ciao

Ian[/quote]

Just hot off the email, Richard has confirmed that the mic he uses is an AMT (Applied Microphone Technology) SM25B. the pre-amp is packaged with it. He blends it through the DTAR Solstice with a David Gage Realist pick up. He's getting good comments from sound engineers. He also comments that without a mic of some sort there is just a lack of the 'presence' and this seemed the best way of getting a mic close to the bass without interfering in anyway.

He says he loves the DTAR Solstice and the two channel outs are just perfect too. He suggests that the engineers use mainly the mic and just use the pick up for weight as they see fit - they love him!

Just some shared thoughts and real life experiences that might help some of you out there trying to get a great sound.

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

This is quite topical for me - I depped for Richard on friday night as part of "Giles Hedley and the Aviators". It was a real honour to fill this guys shoes - and a top gig to boot. Giles is an awesome blues guitarist/singer/harp player - don't miss him if you get the chance to see him!

[quote name='King Tut' post='170783' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:00 PM']This is quite topical for me - I depped for Richard on friday night as part of "Giles Hedley and the Aviators". It was a real honour to fill this guys shoes - and a top gig to boot. Giles is an awesome blues guitarist/singer/harp player - don't miss him if you get the chance to see him![/quote]

Top chap Richard, a pleasure to work with him.

Richard emailed me yesterday about the really positive results of appearing on 'Later...' last Friday evening received from Neil himself:

No.1 in the itunes jazz chart
No.4 in the itunes jazz song chart for 'His Nibs'
No.94 in the overall album chart on itunes
1250 plays in the space of two hours last night on myspace; recently been average 400 a day
No.1 in the Amazon Jazz chart
No.1 & 2 in the Amazon 'Movers and Shakers' chart
No.71 in the overall Amazon chart when I looked this morning (Saturday, yesterday)

Didn't they do well! And long may it continue!

Ciao

Ian