Why become a member? ×

Synth - lodging an interest

Musicman20

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in again on this thread to see how people are getting on with their bass synth endeavours?

I've been diving deeper into tweaking my 'go-to' sound (the Minitaur saw/square patch mentioned above) and it's working really well. Sticking some chorus on really helps to give the bass some character, but too much turns it to mush. I've also switched the monophony mode so that the attack is freshly triggered on every fingered note and to have no portamento at all. This is much better for upbeat songs as it gives each and every note a very defined attack. Despite this, a lower cutoff frequency allows you to make it sound smoother and more legato while still maintaining the groove of the bass part.

How're you guys getting on?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1328626760' post='1530222']
Mm20, I was reading your other thread - I'm really sorry to hear things have been quite that rough for you and your lady. I'm not a million miles away from you in Nottingham, so if you did want to get together to check out some sounds and see what you make of the Microkorg XL as well as the synthy sounds I've been getting with my pedals then I'd be more than happy to show you what I've been up to.

We could even try and arrange a meetup with Shep/pantherairsoft so you can check out his mammoth rig and synth-esque setup.
[/quote]

Hi! Sorry, I haven't been around much and didnt realise this thread was still going. That sounds fantastic and thanks for the offer, and I'd also like to see Shep's rig!!! I love Nottingham, spent 3 years studying there and now off on a Stag Night there in a few weeks.

If we have a spare weekend coming up ill let you know, but I appreciate the offer!

Luckily, things are working out better than I thought so we are moving, and its very soon! But, the law firm I am training with in August have agreed to take me on at a lower level now to get to know the firm and how they work before my trainee solicitor contract starts. It took some work to get the funds together to go this quickly, and a lot of journeys up to Newcastle, but we are almost ready to go!

Thanks all. Synth is still something I want to try out once I've settled in my role up in Newcastle.

• 2 months later...

Have a look in SoundsLive.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1331470459' post='1573199'] Having fun with these today :) Recording sampling for songs next week! [/quote]

What's teh SH-01 like? I'm considering one.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1339019710' post='1682686']
Have a look in SoundsLive.

What's teh SH-01 like? I'm considering one.
[/quote]

Hey man, it was great and I had a lot of fun & use out of it.

I mainly used it for bass parts as appose to full chordal work. The arpeggiator was great fun although never really got to use it out of the house. It was really really easy to program and build your sounds although sometimes felt a touch limited.

I know it's been described as a great beginners synth for the hands on editing, which it is, but if you already have used synths & understand synthesis you can really build some great sounds on it. If you do look at it and enjoy it, I'd really recommend the computer software for it, it costs extra but IMO well worth it. Really let's you see the 3 OSC, the built n effects parameters etc...

Saying all this though, I've recently let mine go & bought a Moog Little Phatty. Simply because when I tried one it blew the bass sounds on the roland out of the water. But the moog is what it is, a monophonic lead synthesiser, so only really does lead or bass.

Any questions though, feel free to pm me. I've got a Juno, Nord, Novation & moog in my flat so can help out with most of the 'top' brands.

• 1 year later...