Why become a member? ×

Synth - lodging an interest

Musicman20

Following from Mcgraham's topic, and my interest in electro and dance such as Daft Punk, I'd like to know about Synth's, and what type of Synth I need.

It's mainly for basslines, or the odd catchy melody line. Anything from what you hear in The Killers all the way to filthy bass lines you hear in Daft Punk.

The Korg Microkorg seems like a good bet. What amp would it need? How do I create 'loops'? What do I need to add drums?

I'm thinking of finding like-minded musicians to create some stuff like The Rapture/Daft Punk, after all, I've wanted to for years.

I'm far too old and "rock" to know what's what however, our daughter's partner is a DJ and produced tons of this type of stuff with MAGIX software and a USB keyboard. He gave me a quick (2 hours, yawn, but you have to appear keen))demo of it, and I must admit, I was impressed. Basslines, drum loops, loads of samples, all there, thousands of the buggers. Apparently there are tons of stuff to download free as well.

He then just uses an M.Audio interface if he needs to add anything in way of guitars, vocals etc. He gave me the software and I have used it a few times just to do backing trax for guitar. Works a treat.

I would imagine that, if you're a mac user, then GarageBand or logic would fit the bill.
If you're pc, cubase,protocols , cakewalk etc.Other bchatters will advise.
In the software I mentioned, many loops are included.

There are many bass fx , that do synths noises also.Some good, some bad...some expensive...

I used to have an aligator amp, which was a keyboard /drum amp.
Other bchatters will advise on amps also.

I haven't done anything for y onks , and am thinking of doing some similar stuff myself.
May start today, once my hangover goes.)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327794160' post='1517011']
Following from Mcgraham's topic, and my interest in electro and dance such as Daft Punk, I'd like to know about Synth's, and what type of Synth I need.

It's mainly for basslines, or the odd catchy melody line. Anything from what you hear in The Killers all the way to filthy bass lines you hear in Daft Punk.

The Korg Microkorg seems like a good bet. What amp would it need? How do I create 'loops'? What do I need to add drums?

I'm thinking of finding like-minded musicians to create some stuff like The Rapture/Daft Punk, after all, I've wanted to for years.
[/quote]

I think if you want to make songs, what you should be thinking of is getting a MIDI keyboard which you can plug into an audio interface for your computer. There is an abundance of high quality software synths that can be downloaded for free or a small cost. Get yourself some sequencing software such as cakewalk or I think MAGIX is quite good for synth type stuff, then you can input your parts, loop them etc and hopefully make some bangin' tunes. :)

Thanks all. My girlfriend has an iMac which I use (we sold the PC as no need for it with the Mac) as my computer.

I'm not sure how much technology and information I need to get this going. The Korg Microsynth could go straight into a bass rig for now, and I think it has MIDI out...if that is what I need to record it on the Mac?

Its one of those things...I know its going to lead to even more music gear and its a case of do I have time to learn it and use it.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327851197' post='1517625']
Thanks all. My girlfriend has an iMac which I use (we sold the PC as no need for it with the Mac) as my computer.

I'm not sure how much technology and information I need to get this going. The Korg Microsynth could go straight into a bass rig for now, and I think it has MIDI out...if that is what I need to record it on the Mac?

Its one of those things...I know its going to lead to even more music gear and its a case of do I have time to learn it and use it.
[/quote]

Any keyboard with a midi output will do really. But it won't have the sounds of the korg on the computer. You would have to record the audio output for that.

If you just want something simple to add synth parts when playing live, lots of bands in a range of genres seem to have plumped for a Microkorg in the last few years. They're quite easy to work with, portable and simple, and sound pretty good out of the box. For live use, most bands DI synths into the PA, but using an ordinary guitar amp can take some of that 'clinical' edge off the sound and dirty it up a bit, helps it sit in with the other instruments.

As Ed says, the MIDI output of the Microkorg won't record any audio - MIDI is just a set of commands to tell a synthesizer what notes to play and when. You'd have to record the audio through an interface in the same way you would a guitar or bass.

If this is more for recording/experimenting at home, then the advice above about getting a generic MIDI contoller keyboard is spot on. These are keyboards that don't generate their own sounds, but will connect (via a MIDI interface, or more commonly these days via USB) to your computer and can be used to contol any software synth that takes your fancy. The only catch with going down this route is that if you intend to use it live at some point, you'd have to take both the keyboard and your laptop or some other sound source.

Daft Punk use a ton of stuff to get their sounds. Moogs, the ARP 2600, Juno 106's, Roland SH101's but to name a fraction of their outboard synth gear.

The Microkorg is a decent place to start off, although I find after a time both the Microkorg and its older brother the R3 are lacking something big in terms of big fat analog sounding synths. If you fancy spending a bit more, I would recommend looking at the Moog Little Phatty.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1327851197' post='1517625']

[/quote]

Mm20, can I urge you to look at the Microkorg [u][b]XL [/b][/u]rather than the Microkorg? I was going to do EXACTLY the same as you but the shop assistant in the store who also happened to be a bass player and had more experience with both models (price difference was about a tenner before you ask) showed me what else the microkorg could do, and also explained the lineage of the two models.

The XL is the successor to the standard Microkorg, they just haven't discontinued it. The XL has an internal synth module that is a marginally reduced size version of their fully fledged RADIAS engine in their larger £1-2k priced keyboards. The standard Microkorg has MIDI, as does the XL, but the XL ALSO has USB-midi so you can connect directly to your computer without a MIDI interface for software editing of the patches. It has more up-to-date software for software synth editing of the patches - search on YT for demos of it. The software is very very useable and is graphical enough to make it easy to visualise what you are actually accomplishing with the sounds.

The XL is also easier on the eyes and more pleasingly tactile in operation than the standard one. It genuinely does EVERYTHING the standard does, but has a bit more under the hood, despite having slightly less on the dash. For the sake of a few quid I'd strongly recommend getting the XL. I can also talk you through how I've been tweaking mine, share patches, etc. I'm sure we could do that even if you got the Microkorg standard, but there may be instances where you won't be able to do something on the standard.

Re: Moog little phatty - it's great, but it's not exactly small. If all you're looking to do is fulfil the role of the bass in a band (as I am most of the time, though the bass is often a driving force and the riff-maker in a lot of my groups) then I can assure you the Microkorg standard or XL will do a fantastic job for far less money and something around the size and weight of a PT mini.

Oh and I've tried the software route, I really didn't like it. Tried, failed, couldn't get sounds I was happy with and it was in some ways more difficult to tweak than a stripped back 3 knob interface. You are also dependent on hooking up a keyboard and computer every time you want to gig live, while the XL can be hooked up straight to your bass rig or PA as a standalone bit of hardware. You can then edit it on the fly with just the synth, or via the computer, or some combination of the two.

I 've been known to dabble with synthesizers....If you're going the hardware route,the Mikrokorg XL will do the job nicely.Consider a second hand Korg EA1,fairly limited in synth functions,not a disadvantage for the inexperienced,and has a good sequencer as well - which is what you need to create and play basslines.If you want to get into synthesizer wierdness - and you will,believe me - consider getting a Korg Monotron,which is basically a stylophone on acid,and at around £50 is cheaper than a weekend out on the town.If anybody wants to hear my electronic Powernoise project.........

Edited by Spike Vincent

[quote name='mcgraham' timestamp='1328087546' post='1521451']
Mm20, can I urge you to look at the Microkorg [u][b]XL [/b][/u]rather than the Microkorg? I was going to do EXACTLY the same as you but the shop assistant in the store who also happened to be a bass player and had more experience with both models (price difference was about a tenner before you ask) showed me what else the microkorg could do, and also explained the lineage of the two models.

The XL is the successor to the standard Microkorg, they just haven't discontinued it. The XL has an internal synth module that is a marginally reduced size version of their fully fledged RADIAS engine in their larger £1-2k priced keyboards. The standard Microkorg has MIDI, as does the XL, but the XL ALSO has USB-midi so you can connect directly to your computer without a MIDI interface for software editing of the patches. It has more up-to-date software for software synth editing of the patches - search on YT for demos of it. The software is very very useable and is graphical enough to make it easy to visualise what you are actually accomplishing with the sounds.

The XL is also easier on the eyes and more pleasingly tactile in operation than the standard one. It genuinely does EVERYTHING the standard does, but has a bit more under the hood, despite having slightly less on the dash. For the sake of a few quid I'd strongly recommend getting the XL. I can also talk you through how I've been tweaking mine, share patches, etc. I'm sure we could do that even if you got the Microkorg standard, but there may be instances where you won't be able to do something on the standard.

Re: Moog little phatty - it's great, but it's not exactly small. If all you're looking to do is fulfil the role of the bass in a band (as I am most of the time, though the bass is often a driving force and the riff-maker in a lot of my groups) then I can assure you the Microkorg standard or XL will do a fantastic job for far less money and something around the size and weight of a PT mini.
[/quote]

HI! Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I didn't put the 'XL' next to my description, as it definitely seems to be the one to opt for.

As I will be looking to get a recording interface in the near future, a synth like the XL is definitely more suitable. I don't currently have a laptop, and I wouldn't want to have to take one to a gig all the time anyway. We will eventually get a nice Macbook, but for now, the iMac is doing everything brilliantly.

Appreciate the advice. It seems you are taking it from the same position as I would...eg a bass player playing synth for certain lines/songs/sets.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1328178791' post='1522992']Appreciate the advice. It seems you are taking it from the same position as I would...eg a bass player playing synth for certain lines/songs/sets.[/quote]
No worries! I'm still learning too!

I posted in the other thread about how the synth (when programmed appropriately) can allow you to play like a keys/synth player - e.g. octave jumps, pitch bends, pads, etc - but you can also play to give the impression there's a real bass guitarist there by approaching note choices like a bass guitarist - e.g. root-fifth playing, running on single notes, scalar fragments, less extended arpeggios, etc. It's just the way the note choices and way you choose to attack the bassline changes the impression of what instrument is playing.

Last night was another practice, and I went with the intent of using whichever worked best (expecting half bass/half synth) but to be honest the synth worked best EVERY time. Because you have complete control over the sound you can get it to till every inch of sonic space you need it to very easily/quickly. The band has never sounded as massive as it did last night. Sure it's not my beautiful W&T, but it's a HUGE fat sound.

I use Pigtronix Mothership.
Really different piece of equipment, this little effect is. Difficult to set, hard to operate properly and energy-guzzler for a quite tiny stompbox.

But it's nice, it delivers really strange sounds and can be used with literally any input source - guitar, bass, vocals... Plus it looks like an orchid among clover in any pedalboard. While hard to operate and requiring hours of turning those dozens of pots, it really does the trick if you want to sound like a captain of an Alien Invasion Force. I can't wait to buy EHX Micro Bass Synth and an envelope filter to combine them into the weirdest bass effect of all time.

Speaking of Micro Bass Synth - my guess it's the most versatile synth you can use with the bass.

There's a couple of routes you could go down, depending on your budget.

Cheap route, a decent remote keyboard & something like Logic (or even Garageband with some extra AUs) & you'll be playing away for yonks, but you're not gonna take this out to a gig.

Next up is a cheap "Workstation" synth such as the Korg M50, Roland Juno Gi or Yamaha MOX6/8. All around £800-£1300.

Then there's the dearer Workstations for around the £2-3k mark,

Or you could go all out & get a couple of decent modules, a keyed synth & a remote keyboard, a sequencer & a drum machine. Funnily enough, this route could be done for less than a grand, but more likely to end up spending several K.

Moog's new Minotaur looks pretty cool, add a remote keyboard or a midi bass to it & it might just be bass heaven! :D

Any suggestions for a small (IE microkorg size) synth that also produces a decent electric piano (rhodes) sound? I have a Sono 61 Stage piano which does a convincing rhodes impression but would like something smaller for stage use that could also produce some nice analogue style synth sounds.

Wil, let me have a play with my microkorg later and see if I can't find one in there already. It already has piano and electric piano sounds in there, I just haven't had any reason to look for a rhodes sound, but I can't imagine it'd be hard to create even if it wasn't there.

Bear in mind that synths are literally just generating waveforms or sampled sounds, and are bundled with a load of effects filters etc to help YOU shape the sound, so the determining factor of whether a sound is 'in there' is whether you are capable of making it or not.

Mm20, I was reading your other thread - I'm really sorry to hear things have been quite that rough for you and your lady. I'm not a million miles away from you in Nottingham, so if you did want to get together to check out some sounds and see what you make of the Microkorg XL as well as the synthy sounds I've been getting with my pedals then I'd be more than happy to show you what I've been up to.

We could even try and arrange a meetup with Shep/pantherairsoft so you can check out his mammoth rig and synth-esque setup.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1328617354' post='1529972']
Unfortunately putting this idea on hold as we are moving away from my hometown to Newcastle asap. This was meant to happen in June/July, but I've had enough of my current job/house/town.
[/quote]

I know the feeling mate. No point in festering somewhere you don't want to be any longer than you have to.