Why become a member? ×

by 'eck it's easy buying the right bass from Thomann

artisan

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1328116908' post='1522118']
7-5mm isn't too low, in my opinion. Yes for slapping but I haven't read that that's what Artisan is going for. I'm suggesting 7-5mm only because I wish my first upright had action like that, or that I know it could be changed.
[/quote]
Where are you measuring that 7mm height?

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1328359654' post='1525927']
I slip my little finger in between the fingerboard and the G string. If it is a tightish fit it's about right. Not precise, I know, but it's served me well over the years.
[/quote]

I use the same method, but with my index finger. :) Halfway up the nail is my action.

• 2 weeks later...

well my bass has just arrived but sadly i'm at work so can't play around with it until i go home,not fair.

as Bilbo mentioned the bridge is flat so i need to sort that out (gulp) so i may as well put my nice new super silver strings on at the same time (gulp)

is this as easy as it sounds ?

It's not too difficult but don't get zoned out in winding the strings on and take your eye off the bridge, or you might be surprised by a loud bang when it flips over and smacks into the body and you have to start all over again. :)

I can't remember if I've already had this conversation with you because I'm old and stupid, but before you put a string on rub the bridge slot and nut slot with a soft pencil for a bit of lubrication. Then be ready for the string to pull the top of the bridge towards the fingerboard as you tension it up, so the bridge looks like it's starting to keel over. If it starts to happen, take a rubbet mallet or the spine of a heavy book (not the edge of your hand, you'll just hurt your hand!), and tap the side of the bridge just under the strings until the bridge is perpendicular to the body again. Then resume winding the string. You might have to do this a few times, it's normal and not that scary once you get going.

Oh and do all this with the bass on its back, which should give you a better chance of keeping the soundpost in place while you're doing it. Oh and for that matter make sure the soundpost is in place before you start putting strings on it - if it's fallen then DO NOT string up the bass, take it to a luthier to get the post repositioned, if you string it up with the soundpost rattling around inside the pressure of the strings could cause major damage.

Edited by thisnameistaken

many thanks for the info i really appreciate all help.
you've got me a tad worried about the sound post now though,if it's not in place will it definitely rattle ?
if i move the bass around there is no trace of anything moving about inside
i hate to bugger up my new toy.
cheers

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1329485060' post='1543176']
many thanks for the info i really appreciate all help.
you've got me a tad worried about the sound post now though,if it's not in place will it definitely rattle ?
if i move the bass around there is no trace of anything moving about inside
i hate to bugger up my new toy.
cheers
[/quote]

Just have a peek through the F hole, you'll see it standing between the front and back. Can't remember if it's right or left side. Also, if you have a heavy book or two (or anything about that weight), place them on the top over the sound post when the bass is on it's back. The weight should help keep the post in place.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1329487736' post='1543249']
Just have a peek through the F hole, you'll see it standing between the front and back. Can't remember if it's right or left side.
[/quote]

Treble side - G string F-hole, it'll be positioned a couple of inches inside of the F-hole near to where the bridge will sit, can't miss it. Definitely don't shake the bass around with no strings on it because you might actually shake the post loose whilst checking to see if it's fallen. That would be a massive fail :D

ooh i hope it's ok then because it was packaged up on it's pallet in a vertical position with the bridge bubble rapped & tucked under the tail piece,it's come all the way from Germany like this too.
i'll have a wee gander when i get home.

cheers

EDIT: having second thoughts about changing the strings myself as i'm sure my super silvers are a touch thicker than the stock strings & i don't have any files or the courage to file the bridge myself (i'm not good at D.I.Y.)
so i may just try & find someone in the know to do it for me,yes yes i'm a coward :D

Edited by artisan

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1329495781' post='1543418']
I reckon having a luthier you can trust is such a big part of the whole db thing, you'll be happy having spent the cash in the end. Honest.

Maybe try someone recommended on here?
[/quote]

Great advice. It's so convenient once you find a good one and saves a lot of hassle.

thanks chaps i'll give him a call tomorrow :)

there is also Andrews violins in Harrogate or Jim Fleeting in Ripon too,i'll ring 'em all & see what they say.

p.s. bridge now fitted & awful stock strings tuned up,my bass badly needs setting up(as expected),i've no idea what thomann did for a setup but it's not good,so i'll get it done asap.