Why become a member? ×

Hi there

jwbassman

Felt I should take a minute to introduce oneself... I'm a complete newbie so be nice :)

John aka jwbassman

My main bass is an Overwater Progress Fretless 5 - an absolute beauty, was lucky enough to get it just before getting married and buying our house!

Paired with an EA iAmp 200 also from Chris and the guys up in Carlisle.

Regular gig is with the Swingshift Big Band, who I've been with for 5 or so years now, I also do the live sound for the band - not quite sure how I got involved with that, but still... checkout the website [url="http://www.swingshiftbigband.co.uk"]www.swingshiftbigband.co.uk[/url] (I'm responsible for that too!) for a bit more about band and me...

Also play with a number of other local big bands as and when required, as well as for the local shows and the odd small band jazz and function gig.

Currently selling my backup Squire Fretless 4 on ebay complete with Ritter gig bag (I'm planning on replacing it with a fretted 5 as some of the more modern big band arrangements need a bit more edge than I get with the fretless), and thinking about changing my amp - dangerous thoughts, I know :huh: Was considering going for the valve preamp option but not sure... your thoughts very welcome...

Well guys, that's me - great forum, mental note to self - must make an effort to keep visiting this one...

Later

Welcome John - and guess what - I went to Falmouth Art college as well - I graduated with a 2.1 in Fine Art, Printmaking to be precise - I really ejoyed my time there - it's a lovely spot if a little out of the way - the scary thing is I graduated in 1994! So it's all a long time ago - thanks for the kind words on the MP3 I posted, glad you like it - good to see another 'jazzer' here - please post any tunes you have, would be good to hear some of your stuff as well.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

Indeed a small world... and fully agree Falmouth is a very beautiful part of it. I spent 3 good years down there and I guess it's got to me to where I am today :)

A jazzer I guess but also play some blues rock, even done a bit of soul and classical in my time ( I also play bass trombone) and have a very wide spectrum of music tastes (?) and influences...

My approach to bass playing is most certainly one of fundamentals - I fully agree with our mutual friend Victor that the groove is where it's at, I'm not much of a soloist and couldn't get anywhere near the stuff you put down, so much respect. There are a couple of mp3 clips of me playing with the big band on the website, if I get round to it I'll pick a track and upload a full one here.

Thanks for the welcome - I'm new to all this but so far so good

Cheers

John

[quote name='urb' post='1507' date='May 18 2007, 04:54 PM']Welcome John - and guess what - I went to Falmouth Art college as well - I graduated with a 2.1 in Fine Art, Printmaking to be precise - I really ejoyed my time there - it's a lovely spot if a little out of the way - the scary thing is I graduated in 1994! So it's all a long time ago - thanks for the kind words on the MP3 I posted, glad you like it - good to see another 'jazzer' here - please post any tunes you have, would be good to hear some of your stuff as well.

Cheers

Mike[/quote]

Hi Mike

Put up mp3s this morning - check the recording section for the details...

John