Why become a member? ×

What strap do you use?

Toasted

[quote name='andy_$$' post='26323' date='Jul 3 2007, 01:13 AM']Comfort Strapp and Dunlop strap locks.
The only way forward! :)
Andy[/quote]
+1
Although I do also have a nice 4" wide no-name brown leather strap I bought off the bay last year for next to nowt. Has a padded bit on the inside so very comfortable. The Comfort Strapp is the preference though.

[quote name='mr pablo' post='21679' date='Jun 22 2007, 12:31 AM']3 and a half inch wide piece of leather cut to just over length then folded back glued and then straplocked for stability. simple but effective jus like moi :)[/quote]

Is that your pick up line, Pablo?

I use Leathercraft straps which I've only ever seen hanging up in music shops, can't find any info on them. They are 4" wide along most of their length and are slightly padded (or perhaps just very soft but thick leather). Black leather on one side, black suede on the other. I tend to have the leather side down as I find the suede grips too much.

Have never really noticed the weight of basses since I started using these straps.

[quote name='dood' post='17897' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:50 PM']I have a 4" wide "SlapStrap" from www.geraldreese.com - it's lurrrrrrrrvely.. makes any bass feel a lot lighter than having a 2" strap digging in. I recommend them![/quote]

They are my preferred choice, the doubled velcro system is very strong, and is adjustable in seconds to milimetre accurate perfect fit and you don't have to muck about with slipping buckles or fixed position loops for an approximate fit.

Spend a bit more and get the ones with the suede back; they are softer, more pliable and infinitely better than the all leather ones.

right, this has been annoying me for a while.

What exactly are straplocks? Because ive heard of some basses having to be modded to accomodate them, and other people just buying them willy nilly. And me, using these little circle plastic things :S

[quote]What exactly are straplocks? Because ive heard of some basses having to be modded to accomodate them, and other people just buying them willy nilly. And me, using these little circle plastic things :S[/quote]

Well, I use dimarzio clip lock straps, all you have to do is unscrew the strap thingies, then screw in the clip locks, no modifications. Totally secure.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lozbass' post='43882' date='Aug 10 2007, 05:36 PM']Yeah me too on the Comfort Strapp - even makes my mid '70s Jazz bearable (for 15 minutes or so...) What did they feed bass players on in the '70s (Smash and Toast Toppers if memory serves - full of nourishing proteins)[/quote]

+1 for the Comfort Strapp.

Wouldn't want to be without it. :)

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='24872' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:12 PM']+1 on these. They are the same range as the ones David Nimrod spoke of in message 14 -[/quote]

They've recently set up a website too!

[url="http://www.leathergraft.co.uk/"]http://www.leathergraft.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='ste_m3' post='37075' date='Jul 25 2007, 11:24 PM']right, this has been annoying me for a while.

What exactly are straplocks? Because ive heard of some basses having to be modded to accomodate them, and other people just buying them willy nilly. And me, using these little circle plastic things :S[/quote]
OK, please forgive me if I end up teaching granny... these are Schaller strap locks:

The thing at the bottom with the screw replaces the existing strap button on your bass... the other bit is attached to your strap. You clip one to the other and hey presto, your strap won't fall off. You take it off again by pulling up on the knob bit and sliding it off the button. The handy thing about these Schaller ones is that you can still use the bass with a normal strap.

I've got Levy, Jack Daniels and a 'no brand' straps. All of them are leather or suede and about 3 inches wide, which is bare minimum for the amount of time I wear my basses.

My Warwick has Dunlop Straplocks on it (pre-dates Warwick putting strap locks on as standard) which have only failed once at a gig because I didn't put the strap on fully. The other two basses use the rubber washers off Grolsch bottles - these have never failed me and are by far the best value for money around.

I was looking for a better strap for my slightly heavy Westone Thunder III after persevering with an unpadded, unbranded 3" soft leather strap for a couple of decades. I was gobsmacked by the over-the-top prices of some brands (call me a cheapskate, but I just couldn't justify £30+ for a guitar strap, to myself or to anyone else!)

A couple of weeks ago I spotted a strap in my local music store for just £15. British made by Leathergraft of Liverpool - 4" wide, padded and even has suede on one side. It looks well made and feels like my bass has managed to lose a few pounds somehow!

The moral of the tale is that a decent strap can be fairly important, but it doesn't have to be expensive - It looks like Leathergraft straps are available from a few online music stores.

• 1 year later...

Italia straps - 4" on bass, 2.5" in guitar:
[url="http://www.italiastraps.com/guitar-gifts.html"]http://www.italiastraps.com/guitar-gifts.html[/url]

Pretty pricey but they do have a 2 for 1 offer quite often. I doubt you'd ever need to replace them,

The straps are so thick you don't need strap locks, infact to get them on in the first place I had to uncrew the pins, thread through the strap and rescrew to the bass - they're not going anywhere. No need to take them off for transport because there are no metal buckles. Length is set by threading the thin end through slots, so can't move around.