Why become a member? ×

Hello From Glasgow

twentyhertz

Hi there,

Just came here by chance after wondering what had happened to the old bassworld site, I posted on there from time to time but had kinda forgotten about it for a bit.

Me: The Facts -

I'm Ross, I'm 21, bassist from Glasgow. I play a Yamaha BB404 and an old shagged Fender P with quarter pounders in.

Ampwise, it's a Behringer BX3000 head with an Ashdown Mag 4x10 cab.

Pedals, at present I have a Russian Big Muff, a USA Little Big Muff, the ubiquitous Boss TU-2, GLX Limiter/Enhancer (LMB-3 clone), Behringer UT-100 tremolo and Behringer wah. I have a bunch of other random pedals dotted around that I use on my occasional poor attempts at guitar.

I've been playing in a band for the last 3 years, although we've been far from active over the last year or so. The band is called Rost, and can be found at www.myspace.com/rost. I record a little bit of my own stuff too, but again, I haven't recorded anything in maybe a year or so - www.myspace.com/vivascirocco is where you can listen to that.

I'm presently looking to get a new band together. I have a couple of interested guitarists, but I need a god damn drummer!

I do a little bit of photography on the side, that's been keeping me occupied while the music's been quiet. Working on my website at the moment, but if you need gig/promo photos taken and you're in the Glasgow area, gimme a shout, I'm not charging at the moment as I'm kinda wanting to build up some experience and a good portfolio of work.

Think that covers it all!

www.myspace.com/rossrost if you need to see more!

Ross :)

I'll get on it... don't think it's really been given much photo attention before! It's a 1995 model, but it was a drummer who owned it before myself, so you can only imagine the state it got into! I'm not kidding you when I say the only parts left useable were the body, neck and bridge, and even they left a lot to be desired :)

It's a bit like you're a kindly man who takes in a dog that's been abused by some knucklehead, I can see the heartwrenching advert on TV now for abused basses now:

(barbers adagio for strings plays as background music on a vintage fender) '(voicover) "just £2 a month can help prevent abuse by drummers, we found a 1992 Stingray that just want's to be loved that hadn't had a set up in over 12 years, it's kneck was so bowed it may never be free of fret buzz"... "Your £2 can help stop drummers ever being allowed near a bass. This poor Rickenbacker 4001 was abused by a drummer during a break in practice whilst it's owner was having a roll up outside, the drummer left it leant against the amp with the strings un-muted until the feedback got so bad all the paint fell off"

I just nearly made myself cry...

Edited by Mr Cougar

One machine head was jammed, the pickup poles were rusty, the wiring looked like it had been nicked from chernobyl, the pickguard had been kinda bastardised on and modified to fit the neck with what appeared to have been a blunt swiss army knife, and I'm not even gonna start on the state the neck was in!

As Cougar mentioned, aye, the neck will never be quite the same again, a bit like one of those dogs from the home that's had a hard life and will always be left with a distrust of humans!

Hey, do you think I could wander round the town with a funny jacket and a clipboard hassling random passers by so I can maybe help the poor bass get a new Badass bridge? :)