Why become a member? ×

SOLD

samkeen

As I have my custom Stambaugh bass being finished very soon, I'm doing my final price drop to get this thing sold ASAP! As much as I love it, the Stambaugh's more important :)

[u]For sale[/u]: a top end, mint condition EU[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]B, the [b][u]NS Design CR[/u][/b][/font][b][u]5M[/u][/b]. Comes with the NS gigbag, the tripod stand, and an unbranded bow worth £150.

Versatile, portable, great sounds (beautiful pizz and arco tones, fretless tones if using the magnetic pickups) - SUCH a high quality instrument. I bought it before the summer last year thinking I'd need it for a couple of big projects, and needed to be able to transport it on the underground. I now find that I'm not really needing it, and tend to rent a van if I need [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]to move my kit arou[/font]nd, so will free some cash up for a new lighter amp and a custom bass guitar that's soon to arrive.

For those of you not common with the nomenclature, NS stands for Ned Steinberger, the CR stands for Czech Republic (where this and many other high quality instruments are made), 5 is the number of strings, and M stands for magnetic pickups (alongside the piezo pickups).

Here's the blurb from the NS Design website ([url="http://thinkns.com/instruments/crbass.php"]http://thinkns.com/i...ents/crbass.php[/url]):

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][b][u]Overview[/u][/b][/size]
[size=3]The CR Series electric upright bass, with its exceptional versatility and tone quality, is fast becoming an indispensable tool for the serious bassist. The lean, solid-body CR Series bass takes its place in a long history of fine instruments crafted in the Czech Republic. Available in 4 and 5 stringed models, the CR Series is made from select maple and ebony. The full scale fingerboard is graduated for consistent response from note to note, with adjustable relief and bridge height to suit all playing styles. Our [url="http://thinkns.com/instruments/polar.php"]Polar™[/url] bridge pickup system combines great sound with directional sensitivity, for a rich and expressive response to pizzicato and arco technique. Optional EMG magnetic pickups expand the range to include classic electric bass sounds.
According to Bass Player magazine, the Czech made CR Series "boasts impeccable craftsmanship from a country with a reputation for quality upright bass building. It's clean aesthetics, excellent playability, and great sound put it ahead of the pack."[/size]

[size=3][b]MAPLE BODY AND NECK[/b]: The body and neck of the CR Series Double Bass are crafted of solid European hard maple, with a flame maple face. The neck has a traditional upright shape, but with extended access to the upper register of the fingerboard. The solid-body body design enhances sustain and clarity, and is resistant to the effects of temperature change and humidity.
[b]EBONY FINGERBOARD[/b]: The seasoned ebony fingerboard is hand graduated to insure that each note is even and buzz free. An adjustable truss rod allows for precise relief adjustment for different strings and playing style. Small dots across the neck provide accurate position markers.
[b]POLAR BRIDGE PICKUP SYSTEM[/b]: The Polar pickups can sense either lateral or vertical string vibration - or both! Set in the lateral mode, the pickup has unparalleled sensitivity in the direction of the bow. In the vertical mode, plucked notes are remarkably even and sustained.
[b]EMG MAGNETIC PICKUPS[/b]: The low-impedance EM[/size][/font][size=3]G pickups incorp[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]orate individually adjustable coils and neodymium magnets. Each coil is buffered separately for a full sound quality with very low noise. (Magnetic pickups pare optional. Only models marked with the letter M have magnetic coils.)
[b]ACTIVE EQ AND MIXER[/b]: Controls include volume, a blend control for magnetic and piezo pickups, a toggle switch to select the mode of the Polar pickup, and individual bass EQ & treble EQ controls. The 18 volt power supply insures plenty of reserve overhead for full dynamics.
[b]ADJUSTABLE BRIDGE[/b]: Two screws in the back of the body are used to adjust the bridge up and down. This allows the instrument to be set up to meet the requirements of many different playing styles.[/font][/size]

[size=3][u][b]Specification[/b][/u]
LENGTH: 132 cm (52")
WEIGHT: 4.8 kg (10.5 lbs.)
SCALE LENGTH: 106 cm (41.73")
STRINGS: 4 or 5 (Low B or high C)
CONSTRUCTION: Solid rock maple neck and body, flame maple face
FINISH: Traditional amber stain with clear semi-gloss polymer coating.
FINGERBOARD: Macassar Ebony; 43.1mm (1.7") wide at nut; 89.0mm (3.5") max. width.
BRIDGE: Black phenolic; radius 7.9cm (3.1") string spacing 81mm (3.19").
NUT: Macassar Ebony; radius 7.9cm (3.1"); string spacing 30mm (1.19").[/size]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Here's a vid of the CR5M in action: [/font][size=2][size=4]t[/size][/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]his guy makes a lot of use of the magnetic pickups, you can get a more traditional sound if you take the mags out of the blend: [/font]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VC6VqaTRUQ8"]http://www.youtube.c...d&v=VC6VqaTRUQ8[/url]

In terms of damage, this is virtually flawless (check out the pictures, I'll happily send any more on request), except for the inevitable scratches where the stand screws into the body - these are hidden when the bass is assembled.

[attachment=99743:P1020434 (Large).JPG] [attachment=99744:P1020437 (Large).JPG][attachment=99745:P1020438 (Large).JPG][attachment=99746:P1020440 (Large).JPG][attachment=99747:P1020442 (Large).JPG][attachment=99748:P1020445 (Large).JPG][attachment=99749:P1020446 (Large).JPG]

Edited by samkeen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm am looking for a NXT at the moment in addition to my Eminence RN bass but I would be interested in having a look at the CR5M if its still available in April. I live in east london too so would like to pop round on April 2 if you haven't sold the bass yet. PM me if you sell it before then or you want a contact email.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...