Why become a member? ×

Stagg in da house!

OldGit

Just looked back at the original post. Is your black the same as metallic black. If so then its the same from Zings. A phonecall required methinks. On the plus side if you hate it let me know and I can cancel. Tho at that price its worth a shot anyway. Let us know how she plays.

I'd be surprised if you were able to get a decent tone out of an EUB with a bow (I would be happy to be proved wrong) but so much arco tone is related to the vibration being transferred into and amplified by the wood that to amplify the strings beng scratched alone is a fairly frightening prospect to me.
Anyone had a good experience with bow and EUB?
Jake
PS OG I'll be happy to give you a few pointers on holding a (French) bow if you get one. I don't do German.

Edited by jakesbass

Oooops. Just sent an e mail and phone message to zings [b][/b]then and only then [b][/b] read the Stagg thread to discover OGs is piano black. Not metallic like mine. Embarrassing email retraction facility in full swing as we speak. All good things come to he who waits as my Aunt Cathy used to say. Mind you she was sectioned at the time. :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='172480' date='Apr 8 2008, 06:16 PM']I'd be surprised if you were able to get a decent tone out of an EUB with a bow (I would be happy to be proved wrong) but so much arco tone is related to the vibration being transferred into and amplified by the wood that to amplify the strings beng scratched alone is a fairly frightening prospect to me.
Anyone had a good experience with bow and EUB?
Jake
PS OG I'll be happy to give you a few pointers on holding a (French) bow if you get one. I don't do German.[/quote]

Thanks Jake .. I think I'll be Ok should teh need ever arrive...
I've asked the local guy for a date for a first lesson :) he does bowing as well (and doghouse slap) so I think
I should be able to discover my limits with him :huh:

So .. It's black not metallic black.
There's larger pics on here of each colour
[url="http://www.playrecord.net/bowed-instruments/electric-double-bass-with-gigbag-34-model-transparent-red.p1027051.html"]http://www.playrecord.net/bowed-instrument...d.p1027051.html[/url]
Scroll down the page top switch to the other colours

I can see exactly what everyone else has mentioned about how hard on the left hand and arm it is when you have no idea about technique ..
Mrs OG says she likes it though so I'm way ahead there ;)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='jakesbass' post='172480' date='Apr 8 2008, 06:16 PM']PS OG I'll be happy to give you a few pointers on holding a (French) bow if you get one. I don't do German.[/quote]

Is there a post or wiki about the difference?

ah found this on wikipedia
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bass#German_bow"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bass#German_bow[/url]

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='171493' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:47 PM']Now tell me , what is printed on the, er, heel? of your double? I remember seeing it at the bash and it being significant but I can't remember what it was .. Is it Poughkeepsie, New York?[/quote]

OG, it says 'UPTON BASS String Instrument Co MYSTIC CT' Perhaps not quite as significant as you first thought but enough to bring all the Julia Roberts fanciers out in a sweat maybe.

[quote name='bassace' post='172977' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:44 AM']OG, it says 'UPTON BASS String Instrument Co MYSTIC CT' Perhaps not quite as significant as you first thought but enough to bring all the Julia Roberts fanciers out in a sweat maybe.[/quote]

Ah yes That was it ...
I've been to Mystic but, sadly, not to the bass place. Had a Pizza though :)
Thanks..

[quote name='OldGit' post='172542' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:41 PM']Thanks Jake .. I think I'll be Ok should teh need ever arrive...
I've asked the local guy for a date for a first lesson :) he does bowing as well (and doghouse slap) so I think
I should be able to discover my limits with him :huh:[/quote]
Thats great, it's better up close anyway. Although, I have a couple of jobs in Cardiff (1 gig, 1 session) over the coming weeks.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='173220' date='Apr 9 2008, 03:31 PM']Thats great, it's better up close anyway. Although, I have a couple of jobs in Cardiff (1 gig, 1 session) over the coming weeks.[/quote]

hey cool Tell me when and where and I'll come and heckle :)

[quote name='Maxcat' post='173328' date='Apr 9 2008, 05:37 PM']OK Ive bitten the bullet and my Metallic Black Stagg has miraculously become a Violin Burst and will arrive tomorrow. Huzzah :)[/quote]

Yeah I heard there's been a rush on metalic black from all the death metal jazz folk band players looking to add a certain something to their sound ....

[quote name='OldGit' post='173337' date='Apr 9 2008, 06:10 PM']Yeah I heard there's been a rush on metalic black from all the death metal jazz folk band players looking to add a certain something to their sound ....[/quote]

One of the other reasons I went Violin burst is that in mettalic black it bears an uncanny resembleance to the 50 calibre sniper rifle in call of duty 4. Might raise a few eyebrows in some of the less than salubrious areas I have been known to frequent :)

[quote name='Maxcat' post='173367' date='Apr 9 2008, 06:46 PM']One of the other reasons I went Violin burst is that in mettalic black it bears an uncanny resembleance to the 50 calibre sniper rifle in call of duty 4. Might raise a few eyebrows in some of the less than salubrious areas I have been known to frequent ;)[/quote]

right :)
Looks more like a fishing rod in its bag :huh:

[quote name='BigRedX' post='173501' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:40 PM']Any chance of some pics?

It would be nice to see one that isn't the stock shot all the on-line shops are using.[/quote]

Ok When I can .. anything in particular you'd like to see?

[quote name='OldGit' post='173428' date='Apr 9 2008, 08:36 PM']right :huh:
Looks more like a fishing rod in its bag ;)[/quote]

absolute disaster.Stagg turned up at 1030. Feverish unpacking followed by loads of wows. Then reality dawns. Its only got a chip out of the laminate just below the fingerboard that can be seen clear across the room. After major examination there are numerous dinks and dents in the neck, by the neck bolts and in the string housing. However there was also an inch crack in the laminate leading from the neck join to one of the neck bolts. Caramba. Nicola at Zings was v helpful and investigated at their end. Upshot is that they are adamant that it was pristine when it left the warehouse. Unlikely as the courier would have had to open the box. unwrap the foam, open the gig bag (well nice BTW) and use the bass as a caber for a bit. Disappointed of Berkshire now as I have to send it back on Monday with no prediction of stock availability. Had a play with it obv and really enjoyed it tho. How do you get the body rest in to the holes. Completely failed that one. Oh well Patience grasshopper. :)

[quote name='Maxcat' post='174024' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:10 PM']absolute disaster.[/quote]
:) Ack! Sorry to hear that!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='173501' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:40 PM']Any chance of some pics?

It would be nice to see one that isn't the stock shot all the on-line shops are using.[/quote]

Are these more helpful?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6749&view=findpost&p=172391"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=172391[/url]

Edited by paul, the

Well as MaxCat knows mine had a few bits of mojo on it when it arrived. Nothing very serious but enough to suggest that it had maybe been out to a customer at least once.
However they were fine about it and gave me a partial refund in exchange for some pictures of the damage.
Nothing s bad as that sounds though.

The main mark on mine was probably made by someone trying to put the side support in ....

The technique is this. Take the long one that goes on the right of teh bass as you hold it and bend the "legs" apart a bit - they bend easily enough. then wiggle one prong into one hole, making it bigger as you go ..
they are lined with nylon grippy collets so this is a case of squashing the nylon ..
Then take it out and do the other hole with the same spike end. Be careful not to scratch the bass with the free end as you do this.

Then do the other two holes one at a time the same way... then bend the supports back to how they should be and stick them in the holes ... They go in Ok after that treatment. and its so much easier to play with them in place.

What's puzzling me is why there's a strap peg on the heel ... Maybe for hanging it up?

[quote name='OldGit' post='174033' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:27 PM']What's puzzling me is why there's a strap peg on the heel ... Maybe for hanging it up?[/quote]

My Aria's got the same thing - a button on the heel and another roughly behind the bridge so if you were that way inclined you could strap it on and play it like a bass guitar. Feck knows why you'd want to though.

[quote name='TheRev' post='174208' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:49 PM']My Aria's got the same thing - a button on the heel and another roughly behind the bridge so if you were that way inclined you could strap it on and play it like a bass guitar. Feck knows why you'd want to though.[/quote]

Ha ha yeah :)

I wonder if I can use it to secure it to a bass stand.
Bassace's idea is the long term plan

Well it's hard work (but I've not had my lesson yet) but it's the best attempt I've managed at an upright for many a year.

The beastie itself is OK at home through my practice amp though the sound seems to go on for a while after I've damped the strings. .. That may be resonance through the wooden floors I guess. Is that a characteristic of amped stick doubles?

Various muscles and fingers are aching, and threatening to blister, but .. the really good news is that Mrs OldGit says it's great, [i]sexy[/i], even! (GAS for a future NS/Shuker upright growing gently :) ) and, wonder of wonders, for the first time in history my 11 year old son has shown an interest in playing a musical instrument ..
He not only said "Can I have a go Dad?" but has also had a go whilst I was out (under his mum's supervision). Apparently he was trying slides to get the mwaaah sound :huh:
It's a tad tall for him at my spike height setting but this could be the break through we've all been looking for ;)

A house full of musical instruments of all sizes and he goes for this one .. ;)
I don't suppose SX make an acoustic double for 100 dollars do they?

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Maxcat' post='174024' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:10 PM']absolute disaster.Stagg turned up at 1030. Feverish unpacking followed by loads of wows. Then reality dawns. Its only got a chip out of the laminate just below the fingerboard that can be seen clear across the room. After major examination there are numerous dinks and dents in the neck, by the neck bolts and in the string housing. However there was also an inch crack in the laminate leading from the neck join to one of the neck bolts.[/quote]
Hah! You have a woman's absolute disaster.

[attachment=7513:palatino002.jpg]
[attachment=7514:palatino001.jpg]

My first Palatino on arrival...

[quote name='TheRev' post='174208' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:49 PM']My Aria's got the same thing - a button on the heel and another roughly behind the bridge so if you were that way inclined you could strap it on and play it like a bass guitar. Feck knows why you'd want to though.[/quote]
My BSX had a rather odd bit of shaping on the G string side - the only logical reason I could see for it was if you played it like a bass with it sat on your lap (it was a 34" scale).

[attachment=7515:BSX_1.jpg]