Why become a member? ×

Stagg in da house!

OldGit

[quote name='tauzero' post='174541' date='Apr 11 2008, 02:07 PM']My BSX had a rather odd bit of shaping on the G string side - the only logical reason I could see for it was if you played it like a bass with it sat on your lap (it was a 34" scale).[/quote]

I've seen an ad for the NS upright with the player wearing it like a Chapman Stick .. maybe that's it ...

[quote name='tauzero' post='174537' date='Apr 11 2008, 02:02 PM']Hah! You have a woman's absolute disaster.

[attachment=7513:palatino002.jpg]
[attachment=7514:palatino001.jpg]

My first Palatino on arrival...[/quote]

"Neck removed [s]for[/s] [i][b]by[/b][/i] shipping"
:)

Edited by OldGit

Well, it looks like you've successfully hijacked the Stagg!!! thread.

Thinking about upright playability but with added portability and cheap price, an EUB seems the right option, but why use a stand? Uprighters don't play with a stand do they?

Is it to stop the bass swiveling about on its spike?

[quote name='tauzero' post='174537' date='Apr 11 2008, 02:02 PM']Hah! You have a woman's absolute disaster.

[attachment=7513:palatino002.jpg]
[attachment=7514:palatino001.jpg]

My first Palatino on arrival...[/quote]

OOOOOOOOOOH. Not feeling quite as hard done to now. That would have sent mummy maxcats number 1 son into atizz :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='174752' date='Apr 11 2008, 05:54 PM']Thinking about upright playability but with added portability and cheap price, an EUB seems the right option, but why use a stand? Uprighters don't play with a stand do they?

Is it to stop the bass swiveling about on its spike?[/quote]

No, uprighters don't usually play with a stand. I was recommending one to OG so that he could put the Stagg on it when not playing. A DB is quite substantial and visible so you can lay it on its side when not playing. You won't see a Stagg so easily and while I had one I was paranoid that someone would step on it if I put it down.

Incidentally, I have a Steinberger that is mounted permanently on a tripod - I play it in this mode. It's very good for tight playing areas like pubs and private houses where it's risky to put a DB down between sets. Having said that, I had a booking to do a house for two weeks time. I told the fixer that I'd bring the Stig. He said that the lady of the house specifically requested a double bass. Oh sh......t.

[quote name='bassace' post='175092' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:03 PM']No, uprighters don't usually play with a stand. I was recommending one to OG so that he could put the Stagg on it when not playing. A DB is quite substantial and visible so you can lay it on its side when not playing. You won't see a Stagg so easily and while I had one I was paranoid that someone would step on it if I put it down.

Incidentally, I have a Steinberger that is mounted permanently on a tripod - I play it in this mode. It's very good for tight playing areas like pubs and private houses where it's risky to put a DB down between sets. Having said that, I had a booking to do a house for two weeks time. I told the fixer that I'd bring the Stig. He said that the lady of the house specifically requested a double bass. Oh sh......t.[/quote]

You have to please the punters mate :) ...
Yup I'm looking at stand options (for parking, not playing) I have a few that kinda work but not quite but it's a good point about laying it down. It doesn't really lay down well anyway ...

Playing wise do you find the Neds Ok on the stand or do you miss the hip connection you get with a doghouse?
I tried the Stagg without the prongs and it's horrible as my left hand was struggling to hold it up and steady as well as hold the strings down ..
Much easier with the side prong things leaning against your hip ...

I ended up buying Bassace's Stagg from him complete with home made stand. I would be lost with out his stand. The standing pin is set to my height so I can keep the Stagg out all the time and just slide it on and off the stand whenever I want to play. Its great.

As for the two prong connectors on the Stagg, I never use them and so far it has never been a problem. In fact the smaller one on the left as you play I never got from Bassace. Not sure if he forgot to give it to me or he also never had one. The larger one on the right I never use. I find it gets in my way.

[quote name='Linus27' post='175283' date='Apr 12 2008, 04:56 PM']I ended up buying Bassace's Stagg from him complete with home made stand. I would be lost with out his stand. The standing pin is set to my height so I can keep the Stagg out all the time and just slide it on and off the stand whenever I want to play. Its great.

As for the two prong connectors on the Stagg, I never use them and so far it has never been a problem. In fact the smaller one on the left as you play I never got from Bassace. Not sure if he forgot to give it to me or he also never had one. The larger one on the right I never use. I find it gets in my way.[/quote]

Any chance of a close up picture of the stand?

I've taken the left side prong off as it was stopping me from getting up teh dusty end. The little humpy thing is enough to locate the octave position.

[quote name='OldGit' post='175343' date='Apr 12 2008, 06:20 PM']Any chance of a close up picture of the stand?

I've taken the left side prong off as it was stopping me from getting up teh dusty end. The little humpy thing is enough to locate the octave position.[/quote]

I hope this pic comes out, although as the Stagg now belongs to Linus I suppose I should ask his permission - nah. I can't see how you can play it without the stability provided by the outrigger on the near side, although I never saw the use for the one on the other side, which is why I never passed it on to Linus when I sold it.

It's a long time since a relatively low value product stirred up such a high level of interest.

[quote name='bassace' post='175429' date='Apr 12 2008, 09:05 PM']I hope this pic comes out, although as the Stagg now belongs to Linus I suppose I should ask his permission - nah. I can't see how you can play it without the stability provided by the outrigger on the near side, although I never saw the use for the one on the other side, which is why I never passed it on to Linus when I sold it.

It's a long time since a relatively low value product stirred up such a high level of interest.[/quote]

Cheers .. Does that have 4 legs?

Low Value? no; Low price, yes.
I'd not have got an upright if it were not so inexpensive .. That's valuable to me. :)

As requested, here are a couple of pictures, 1 of the stand and 1 of the bass standing in the stand. If you would like some more then just ask. To play the bass, you would take it out of the stand unless your about 8ft tall. The pin stand on the bass is already set to you desired height and slides into the top of the stand. The bottom of the bass rests on the lip around the hole on the stand. The nut on the stand winds in and meets up with the pin sitting in the shaft of the stand and this is what holds it in place. So to take the bass out, you just unwind the nut on the stand and then slide the bass out.

In terms of the colour of my Stagg (ex Bassace), the only way I can describe it is a deep wine red. However, it does not look plastic as you can see the wood grain on it so it looks great. When I was looking at this bass, I really wanted black, but this red would had been my second choice. However, now I own the red one, I love it and if I get a NS EUB, I might choose red again if its as deep red as this.

If anyone really is having any thoughts about getting this Stagg, then I can really recommend it as a great instrument as an introduction to EUB. I certainly have not had any problems getting used to playing EUB and it has pushed me to go and get lessons. Its not holding me back at all and for £250 new, you can't go wrong really. Plus, if you don't like EUB then as you can see from the interest in this thread, it should not be a problem if you wanted to sell it on.

Edited by Linus27

Thanks Linus
That's helpful.

I've worked out that the ends of the strings (from bridge to "tailpiece") need damping as they seem to join in occasionally ..

Also the body under the bridge is hollow - bit of a "der..." moment there .. - which why it's a bit noisy and pics up any floor thumping ...

My wife and kid still love it. :)
I was playing along to my band's live desk recording and I can manage most of it on the stick. I must be pretty much in tune as well as Mrs OldGit has no respect for my delicate feelings when pointing out poor tuning in my playng - she has a real orchestral training background ..
She's said nowt aboout it so far ..
She likes my trick of stepping over the bass and going around the neck pole dancing whailst playing one number that's just G and D - opportunities for cool stage moves spring to mind :huh:

All in all I think I'm getting on Ok with the we beastie ..

[quote name='paul, the' post='175662' date='Apr 13 2008, 03:23 PM']'Transparent Red' I guess. Yours looks great, Linus. I keep changing my mind over colours.[/quote]

Yeah the only one that looks cheapish in the pics is the "violinburst" one

+1

[quote name='OldGit' post='175669' date='Apr 13 2008, 03:32 PM']My wife and kid still love it. :)
I was playing along to my band's live desk recording and I can manage most of it on the stick. I must be pretty much in tune as well as Mrs OldGit has no respect for my delicate feelings when pointing out poor tuning in my playng - she has a real orchestral training background ..
She's said nowt aboout it so far ..
She likes my trick of stepping over the bass and going around the neck pole dancing whailst playing one number that's just G and D - opportunities for cool stage moves spring to mind :huh:

All in all I think I'm getting on Ok with the we beastie ..[/quote]

;)

Au contraire mes amis. The violin burst in the flesh is very nice. Looks like a Fender sunburst but with all the different angles, the depth of colour is quite unusual. But what do I know, mine is going back. Silent tear in eye. I want to join in. :)

[quote name='Maxcat' post='176510' date='Apr 14 2008, 06:12 PM']Au contraire mes amis. The violin burst in the flesh is very nice. Looks like a Fender sunburst but with all the different angles, the depth of colour is quite unusual. But what do I know, mine is going back. Silent tear in eye. I want to join in. :)[/quote]

Better in the wood eh?

So What news on that?

The saga continues. Wife waited in all day for the courier who "you guessed it" didnt show. Coming tomorrow to pick it up. Zings assure me it should be in within a week and a half. We shall see. Looks like Ive got some catching up to do OG.

[quote name='Maxcat' post='176743' date='Apr 14 2008, 11:04 PM']The saga continues. Wife waited in all day for the courier who "you guessed it" didnt show. Coming tomorrow to pick it up. Zings assure me it should be in within a week and a half. We shall see. Looks like Ive got some catching up to do OG.[/quote]

Well I'll have it with me for our gig near Chippenham on Sat May 17th if you are still waiting and fancy a go. :)

[quote name='paul, the' post='174752' date='Apr 11 2008, 05:54 PM']Well, it looks like you've successfully hijacked the Stagg!!! thread.[/quote]

OK, I'll give it back now.

[quote name='paul, the' post='174752' date='Apr 11 2008, 05:54 PM']Thinking about upright playability but with added portability and cheap price, an EUB seems the right option, but why use a stand? Uprighters don't play with a stand do they?

Is it to stop the bass swiveling about on its spike?[/quote]
There are two types of EUB, stand-mounted and end-pinned. The end-pinned ones have (normally detachable) sticky-out bits so that they can be held against the player's body in a similar position to an acoustic DB. The stand ones sit on the stand and the player puts himself into the appropriate position.

It is possible to play end-pinned ones without the sticky-out bits - it's probably easier for a novice like me to do so than for a seasoned player. In fact, I found I preferred the Palatino (the replacement unbroken one) without the bent bit of metal sticking out of the side. I played it sort of three-quarter on:

[attachment=7719:Me_and_palatino.jpg]

Initially I had problems with it swivelling around the endpin, so I made a T-shaped endpin using some metal tubing from B&Q so I could put a foot on it. It very soon proved unnecessary.

It's also possible to get endpin fittings for some of the stand-mounted EUBs. NS do (hideously expensive) endpins for the CR and WAV basses. I have seen someone reporting making an endpin for an [url="http://planadmin.us/ergo/"]Ergo bass[/url], which has no body at all, not even the vestigial one of an NS.

Incidentally, the endpin vs stand issue was why I sold the Palatino and got the NS WAV-4. The Palatino was fine while I was playing it, but between songs there was no way to conveniently put it out of the way. DB stands are too wide, and it's too heavy to stick in a length of upright tubing, and I didn't want to lay it down (and generally didn't have room to anyway). Oh, and did I mention it's heavy? The Stagg is actually a bit tempting as I do like DB on a stick rather than a stand, and I think I could manage to put a £250 purchase order in to the future Mrs Zero.

I've looked at Bassace's re-purposed tripod stand idea and I don't think that's going to work for me without gaffa-taping the legs to the stage.
I certainly need to sort out something secure as our stages tend to be a bit bouncy when we get going :)

My gig-parking plan at the mo is to strap it to the side handle of my cab using the good ol trusty velcro strap from Ikea (same technique as the markbass thing but cheaper, and longer :huh: )
I've been doing something like this with bass guitars for many a year.

[quote name='OldGit' post='176749' date='Apr 14 2008, 11:21 PM']Well I'll have it with me for our gig near Chippenham on Sat May 17th if you are still waiting and fancy a go. :)[/quote]

That sounds cool mate. I remember the last time I was in "The Nam". In fact I still get cold sweats. Unfortunately Im away that week. Next time. Oh and the dented beast has finally been picked up. Estimate 1 week ish. :huh: