Why become a member? ×

Stagg in da house!

OldGit

Sold some gear and mentioned the possibility of a stick bass joining the guitars here and Mrs OldGit said - "that sounds like a good idea".
Stunned, I ordered a black Stagg stick straight away before she recovered :)

I've been popping in to this bit of basschat for a few months whilst thinking about this so the thing I'll do is get some lessons.
Fortunately I know a cool and trendy bass tutor who plays an NS (in a rocky folk band a bit like mine) as well as a doghouse and bass guitars so he'll understand :huh:

OG

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='BigRedX' post='171415' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:45 PM']Who did you order your Stagg EUB from?

Last time I looked most of the cheaper on-line dealers were out of stock.[/quote]

[url="http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176"]http://www.zingsmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=5176[/url]

Fingers crossed ...
OG

[quote name='BigRedX' post='171472' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:34 PM']Well it doesn't say it's not in stock on the website...

Have you had a confirmation of your order and a projected delivery date yet?[/quote]

Several confirmation emails and one that said "if there's a delay the expected delivery date will be noted below" but no date noted below so I'm hoping ...

I have a deadline as there's a couple of gigs coming up over the next few months with a band where it will fit (visually and sonically) and the playing is not too arduous
As they record every gig I also have several of their live recordings (with me on bass) to learn from too ...

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='bassace' post='171485' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:42 PM']OldGit

When you get it, get an old tubular guitar or mic stand, cut it off 12" above the floor and stick the Stagg's spike in it. Makes a good stable stand, especially if you double with it on stage.

Enjoy![/quote]

Hey thanks BA55ACE I was just about to PM you to ask about that stand you made for yours.
I have several old stand things around (and a cash converter close by) so I'll keep an eye open for one.

Now tell me , what is printed on the, er, heel? of your double? I remember seeing it at the bash and it being significant but I can't remember what it was .. Is it Poughkeepsie, New York?

[quote name='OldGit' post='171539' date='Apr 7 2008, 03:45 PM']They just emailed me: It's actually in the post and "should be with me tomorrow"
I guess they have stock then :)[/quote]

Damn...

I would have had one then if I hadn't just made another bass impulse purchase on eBay last night.

[quote name='OldGit' post='171493' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:47 PM']Now tell me , what is printed on the, er, heel? of your double? I remember seeing it at the bash and it being significant but I can't remember what it was .. Is it Poughkeepsie, New York?[/quote]

OG, To my shame I can't remember and the bass is in the garage waiting to go to a gig tomorrow - we're doing a live CD. I'll post you in a couple of days time when I get home. I know it says 'Upton' but I can't remember what else..............................doh!

[quote name='Maxcat' post='171715' date='Apr 7 2008, 08:02 PM']Happy for you OG, gutted for me. Ordered the same one on 20th Mar and have since been informed that it will now be mid April before delivery. Ah well the sun shines on the righteous. Enjoy. :)[/quote]

From the same people?
That's strange? Different colour?

Can you cancel and re-order ? The price is good ..

[quote name='bassace' post='171756' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:04 PM']I know it says 'Upton' but I can't remember what else..............................doh![/quote]
'Upton Top Ranking' perhaps?
:)
[size=1]I'll get me coat.[/size]

[quote name='budget bassist' post='171978' date='Apr 8 2008, 01:40 AM']That looks pretty cool, be sure to have a go with a bow man, i tried that on my musicman once, lots of fun :huh:[/quote]

Where do I get a bow?
What do I look for - bear in mind that this is a budget purchase - I know bows can cost more than Shukers :)

Also is there a good bit of youtube on how to bow? I did play doghouse for a few months in college (approx 300 years ago) but bowing was optional so I never bothered or learned how ...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='172119' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:36 AM']www.thomann.de do reasonably priced bows, both German & French.[/quote]

What's the difference? I'm humming and haaing about buying a bow but frankly don't know where to start. Plus, the guy I bought my SWB from said it sounded terrible bowed so I'm reluctant to shell out on a bow if there's apossibility I'll never use it.

[quote name='Rich' post='172170' date='Apr 8 2008, 12:48 PM']If you get a bow, you've gotta learn the Elephant from Saint-Saëns' Carnival Of The Animals :huh:[/quote]

With James Bond, Phil Mitchell and the silly faces?
[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=jWUt2D0FkdU&feature=related"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=jWUt2D0FkdU&feature=related[/url]

:)