Why become a member? ×

Barbara Thompson

steve-bbb

Oh MY!! I had no idea! So so sad - I've got a few BT albums as my Dad is a huge fan - Her work with Dil Katz pretty much made me buy a fretless bass way back when. Certainly I hadn't been following her career for many years now and I wasn't aware of this.

Where have you been, Dood? DId you also know that Ginger Spice has left the Spice Girls and The Beatles have broken up?

+1 for that Dill Katz stuff. A BT live double LP was an early jazz discovery for me and Dill's bass was one of the things that caught my ear as a fledgling jazzer!

Great to see posts on this. It's a programme that really should be seen .
My own Dad was crippled by this nasty disease for several years and it eventually got the better of him a few years back . I thought it was incredible the way that Barbara and Jon were was coping with it all .
Btw . . . did you say that Ginger has left the Spice Girls ??? When did this happen ?? ;-)

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1329727892' post='1546310']
I only managed to watch about the first 10 mins - it's sad to see a disease such as Parkinson's crippling both Barbara Thompson & Bill Worrall's music careers :( .

It just goes to show that you can't take your health for granted in this life.
[/quote]

watch the rest! when you see the improvement in her after she begins taking medication using the pump it is frankly nothing short of staggering that she manages to go back on stage with colosseum

aside from the PD i was absolutley blown away by the quality of her tone and her improvisational skills not to mention the composition and arrangements - undoubtedly one of countrys greatest musical talents

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1329758172' post='1546873']
watch the rest! when you see the improvement in her after she begins taking medication using the pump it is frankly nothing short of staggering that she manages to go back on stage with colosseum

aside from the PD i was absolutley blown away by the quality of her tone and her improvisational skills not to mention the composition and arrangements - undoubtedly one of countrys greatest musical talents
[/quote]

I will do - I tend to get a bit "down" when I see a disease taking over someone. I used to have bass lessons from an Aussie chap in Carshalton who was suffering with a similar disorder, but he always made light of it. I guess the thing that really kind of comes through, is that the person suffering doesn't like to be treated any differently from an able bodied person. That speaks volumes for their strength of character.

I used to have a vinyl copy of "A Cry From the Heart" which I thought was a very good live double album. Great band backing Barbara Thompson, including Phil Mulford (bass), Paul Dunne (guitar), Peter Lemer (keys) & Jon Hiseman (drums).