'ello from 'ull

4 replies to this topic

#1 oggiesnr

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi there, I'm Steve and I have a long but interrupted career of playing bass.

My first bass was a Dallas Tuxedo Bass (c1950ish), insanely narrow neck (about the width of a match box) and insanely deep as it had no truss rod. Bought for a tenner from the bass player in a local covers band who got an ultimatum from the other band members! Anyway a year later (1975ish) he moved to guitar and I bought his other bass (£20 this time), an Antoria EB3 copy which I still have, and played it for a covers band and depping C&W. Then I moved into my other love which is squeezeboxes and the bass went on the backburner but still got bought out on occassions.

Fast forward a lot of years and I got the bass bug again and I'm now the proud owner of a Tacoma Thunderchief which is great for sessions in pubs, it sounds great and I don't have to amplify it.

However I'm considering a move into upright as I now find myself playing for a Border Morris team and in the open I have to compete with up to five melodeons or accordions plus assorted others. I can make myself heard but I'm not sure that a slap technique is going to be good for the Tacoma in the long run :rolleyes:

All the best

Steve

#2 Len_derby

Can you feel the farce?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Interests:Interesting things.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Welcome Steve.
It sounds like you do some interesting stuff. I had to face the outdoor acoustic bass problem for ocsasional jobs. Instead of going for a DB (I'd have to get a new car!) I got a small combo amp that will run on batteries. It's a Roland Micro Cube and you can even carry it on your shoulder like a man-bag :blink:

When you say a border morris team, is that the border between East Yorkshire and England? :D
Proud to be involved in THE Bass Relay ....Bassists raising money for Cancer Research UK! ...Map of Honour

Follow the Bass Relay on Facebook ......... ....Follow the Bass Relay on Twitter .... ... ..... Donate at Just Giving

#3 ShergoldSnickers

From the Plasticine Period

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Location:Not sure. It's dark and it smells funny. I think I'm stuck.
  • Interests:Putting things on top of other things. Non-sequentially.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

We are gathering quite a club of members from Hull and nearby. Welcome. :) I've been stuck in Hull since 1976. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Websites | Graphics | Artwork| Custom Made Bass Guitar Brooches in Precious Metal |

BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#4 EdwardHimself

Hyper elite loser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Interests:Music (obvs).

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

Ey up, lad! I also live in east yorkshire.
EH

#5 alanbass1

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Welcome aboard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users