Why become a member? ×

'ello from 'ull

oggiesnr

Hi there, I'm Steve and I have a long but interrupted career of playing bass.

My first bass was a Dallas Tuxedo Bass (c1950ish), insanely narrow neck (about the width of a match box) and insanely deep as it had no truss rod. Bought for a tenner from the bass player in a local covers band who got an ultimatum from the other band members! Anyway a year later (1975ish) he moved to guitar and I bought his other bass (£20 this time), an Antoria EB3 copy which I still have, and played it for a covers band and depping C&W. Then I moved into my other love which is squeezeboxes and the bass went on the backburner but still got bought out on occassions.

Fast forward a lot of years and I got the bass bug again and I'm now the proud owner of a Tacoma Thunderchief which is great for sessions in pubs, it sounds great and I don't have to amplify it.

However I'm considering a move into upright as I now find myself playing for a Border Morris team and in the open I have to compete with up to five melodeons or accordions plus assorted others. I can make myself heard but I'm not sure that a slap technique is going to be good for the Tacoma in the long run :rolleyes:

All the best

Steve

Welcome Steve.
It sounds like you do some interesting stuff. I had to face the outdoor acoustic bass problem for ocsasional jobs. Instead of going for a DB (I'd have to get a new car!) I got a small combo amp that will run on batteries. It's a Roland Micro Cube and you can even carry it on your shoulder like a man-bag :blink:

When you say a border morris team, is that the border between East Yorkshire and England? :D