Why become a member? ×

NBD: Shuker Precision with Jazz neck

tredders

So, my first custom bass arrived today. I called Jon at the start of the new year to discuss a build for me, with some vague specs:

1. Traditional P bass body
2. Jazz neck
3. Blocks and binding on the neck
4. Cool colour (yes, I'm shallow, I know)

After owning a Lakland Duck Dunn (which I never really got on with for some reason) I wanted a P bass with a Jazz neck to my specifications, and Jon talked me through the options. Luckily for me, Jon had a suitable body, and a selection of pups & hardware already available, so that cut the build time down dramatically, as he'd only have to make the neck for me.

We had more in depth discussions, and Jon knew exactly what questions to ask me, in order to determine what I was really after. So, to cut a long story short, the courier arrived this morning with my new toy. Excuse the self indulgant photos, but I'm so happy with the bass it's untrue: -

It looks absolutely stunning in the flesh - the pics don't really do it justice, and the black hardware is just perfect. The final spec is as follows: -

Maple neck
34" scale
21 frets
2 way truss rod
Carbon fibre reinforcement
Quarter sawn Indian rosewood f/board
Mother of pearl block markers
White f/board binding
Black 2mm side dots
Satin neck lacquer
38.5mm nut width
21mm neck depth at 1st fret
22.5mm at 12th
Medium fretwire

Korina body
Polyester basecoat
Gloss blue polyurethane topcoat
White s/plate
Gotoh bridge
Black hardware
Delano PMVC pickup
East P-retro circuit (rechargeable)

As requested, Jon supplied it pre-strung with TI flats for me, and it is truely amazing. The neck is a dream - Jazz like, but thinner, and very very fast. The Delanos sound like a proper meaty P bass, with lots of low end, but modern sounding mids, and an almost Stingray-esque tone with the treble rolled up. I'd never used a P Retro before, but was reassured by Jon that it "still makes your bass sound like a Precision, but better", and I'd totally agree with that. The effect is quite subtle to my ears - you can shape the sound very simply using the stacked knob controls, but it never loses the inherent P bass sound, which is exactly what I wanted.

Dealing with Jon couldn't have been easier. I had a couple of calls with him up front, then we exchanged a number of emails when discussing the spec, and then he sent me regular progress updates as it was being built. I ordered on the 4th January, and it arrived today, so that's 7 weeks. One of the things that surprised me most was the cost - Jon did me a great deal on this, and it cost me a hell of a lot less than I thought - certainly less than a couple of P basses I've bought in the past...

Anyway, enough talking about it. I'm now off to play it!

Mark.

Absolutely stunning!! Congrats! :)

I'm not a P kinda guy but that I love. Especially love the contouring and detail where the neck is bolted on, looks the biz... :gas:

Do you mind me asking, what was the build cost, roughly?

Edited by TommyK

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1330110600' post='1553007']
Lovely colour! I would be interested in hearing any sound clips of the delano pups if your able to do that? If not could you add any more info as to how they sound etc are they passive?

Thanks!
[/quote]

The Delanos are passive, but the bass is fitted with a John East P Retro. Bit more info on the pups here: http://bit.ly/luCdV3 and the P Retro here: http://bit.ly/ywyPH1

If you're ever in the Warwick area, you're welcome to come and try it out for yourself and have a listen :)

Cheers

Mark.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1330118484' post='1553152']
The Delanos are passive, but the bass is fitted with a John East P Retro. Bit more info on the pups here: [url="http://bit.ly/luCdV3"]http://bit.ly/luCdV3[/url] and the P Retro here: [url="http://bit.ly/ywyPH1"]http://bit.ly/ywyPH1[/url]

If you're ever in the Warwick area, you're welcome to come and try it out for yourself and have a listen :)

Cheers

Mark.
[/quote]

Nice one thanks Mark! I'm thinking about going for the PMVC 4 FE/M2 so it's good to hear that the similar pups sound good! But without taking the focus away from the thread, you have a lovely looking bass. What is the name of the blue?

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1330122095' post='1553210']
Nice one thanks Mark! I'm thinking about going for the PMVC 4 FE/M2 so it's good to hear that the similar pups sound good! But without taking the focus away from the thread, you have a lovely looking bass. What is the name of the blue?
[/quote]

I've had more of a play with the bass tonight, and the combination of the Delanos and P Retro is fantastic. Going from playing Specials tunes (bass boost, treble cut) to Green Day (typical trebley clanky P bass sound) to Jackson 5 stuff with a quick tweak of the controls. I'm not how much of it is down to the pups and how much of it is down to the P Retro, but it's an excellent pairing.

I have no idea what the colour is called. By some coincidence (or fate!), I was after a light blue paint job, and it just so happened Jon had a Precision body in exactly the colour I was looking for. The black hardware was Jon's idea, and I think it looks great against the blue.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1330128886' post='1553296']
I've had more of a play with the bass tonight, and the combination of the Delanos and P Retro is fantastic. Going from playing Specials tunes (bass boost, treble cut) to Green Day (typical trebley clanky P bass sound) to Jackson 5 stuff with a quick tweak of the controls. I'm not how much of it is down to the pups and how much of it is down to the P Retro, but it's an excellent pairing.

I have no idea what the colour is called. By some coincidence (or fate!), I was after a light blue paint job, and it just so happened Jon had a Precision body in exactly the colour I was looking for. The black hardware was Jon's idea, and I think it looks great against the blue.
[/quote]

Excellent, I do like the black hardware actually the blue/black has given me some ideas......... B)

Edited by S9_S12_Bass