Why become a member? ×

Does anyone make a replacement pre-amp for Musicman Stingray?

Gunsfreddy2003

I know that East make a highly recommended replacement pre-amp for jazz basses and they appear to have something similar for a Stingray on their site but does anyone know if this offers a much better sound than the stock pre-amp that they ship with or anyone else who makes a really ballsy pre-amp for a Stingray?

Thanks - will check it out.

Does it give you a lot more depth to the tone from the bass now?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1330354111' post='1556036']
i put a [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/music-man/electronics/stc3m3_stc3m4_f/"]seymour duncan musicman pre[/url] in my sabre and really like it.

might be worth a look.
[/quote]

I think Beedster meant pre not pup. What's lacking with the stock pre that can't be sorted with a bit of shaping at the amp end? I'm sure the East adds something but the stock pre suits my SR5 pretty well IMO ...

Edited by ikay

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1330355454' post='1556074']
Thanks - will check it out.

Does it give you a lot more depth to the tone from the bass now?
[/quote]

the bass boost is better on the seymour duncan as the stock pramp was just a bit silly on the bass front imho - just far too much of it ! the replacement is much more defined to my ears.

It just sounds a little lacking sometimes! I use a Sadowsky pre-amp and when you turn that off and go back to the bass only it sounds rather weedy!!

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1330359904' post='1556199']
I think Beedster meant pre not pup. What's lacking with the stock pre that can't be sorted with a bit of shaping at the amp end? I'm sure the East adds something but the stock pre suits my SR5 pretty well IMO ...
[/quote]

I have the Seymour Duncan one (in two basses), and it is ok but I much prefer the John East MMSR one (of which I have one and I'm about to get another)

The MMSR bass/treble sounds a lot like a 2EQ preamp, but I felt it was a bit "tighter" somehow. Not as boomy and not as trebly. In addition, the midsweep module is what really sets this preamp apart. Being able to sweep and select what midfrequencies to boos or cut comes really handy.
Most of the times you don't need a big boost/cut, but it is very helpful, and with the sweep control it is a breeze to find just where to apply the boost/cut you want. I really like it.
It seems to be on teh expensive side, but well worth it in my opinion.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1330364062' post='1556278']
I have the Seymour Duncan one (in two basses), and it is ok but I much prefer the John East MMSR one (of which I have one and I'm about to get another)

The MMSR bass/treble sounds a lot like a 2EQ preamp, but I felt it was a bit "tighter" somehow. Not as boomy and not as trebly. In addition, the midsweep module is what really sets this preamp apart. Being able to sweep and select what midfrequencies to boos or cut comes really handy.
Most of the times you don't need a big boost/cut, but it is very helpful, and with the sweep control it is a breeze to find just where to apply the boost/cut you want. I really like it.
[/quote]

+1 to all that.

And yes, I meant to say pre-amp and not PUP in my post above. I don't necessarily agree on the point above suggesting that a limited pre-amp can be compensated for at the amp. In theory yes, in practice, I haven't found it to be that simple. If you're ring to do it all at the amp, you have to ask why have EQ on the bass anyway? If playing an active bass I always preferred to run the amp flat and EQU precisely - and the East mid-sweep really allows you to do so - on the bass.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1330364564' post='1556285']
I don't necessarily agree on the point above suggesting that a limited pre-amp can be compensated for at the amp. In theory yes, in practice, I haven't found it to be that simple. If you're ring to do it all at the amp, you have to ask why have EQ on the bass anyway? If playing an active bass I always preferred to run the amp flat and EQU precisely - and the East mid-sweep really allows you to do so - on the bass.
[/quote]

Same here. Whatever amp I use I normally go for a setting that does not appear to colour any one frequency range too much. If there's an EQ, I level all the bands. Then use the preamp on my bass to adjust the sound. Occasionally I use the amp EQ to maybe remove booming lows or whatever, but I like to choose "the flavour" at the bass. It's just a preference, nothing wrong with a passive bass with passive tone controls and going to the amp to change settings, just not what I feel most comfortable with.
I like to have the ability to drastically change my tone from teh bass itself, and to be able to turn down or up my volume without significantly altering the tone (other than affecting the amount of overdrive I may get from a pedal, if I am using one).

You can get the midsweep module alone, from John East. I have sometimes considered it for some basses I don't necessarily want to go all the way with.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1330364564' post='1556285']
I don't necessarily agree on the point above suggesting that a limited pre-amp can be compensated for at the amp. In theory yes, in practice, I haven't found it to be that simple. If you're ring to do it all at the amp, you have to ask why have EQ on the bass anyway? If playing an active bass I always preferred to run the amp flat and EQU precisely - and the East mid-sweep really allows you to do so - on the bass.
[/quote]

That's a fair point Beedster. I also generally run my amp flat. I just don't find the SR pre to be so bad - probably my lousy ears!

Can you fit these into a 2 band Stingray?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1330364062' post='1556278']

[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1330378673' post='1556602']
Can you fit these into a 2 band Stingray?
[/quote]

I think the East MMSR 2-band is a straight drop in

[attachment=101217:East MMSR 2-band.jpg]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1330360606' post='1556210']
It just sounds a little lacking sometimes! I use a Sadowsky pre-amp and when you turn that off and go back to the bass only it sounds rather weedy!!
[/quote]
why turn it off then?

Because I only like to use the pre-amp for boosting the sound for slap sections where you need a little more bottom end. I only keep it on all the time with the passive jazz as it needs it all the time.

Like an earlier post I really like to try and control the sound from the bass rather than playing with the EQ on the amp which I tend to keep flat anyway.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1330441742' post='1557519']
why turn it off then?
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1330441966' post='1557525']
Because I only like to use the pre-amp for boosting the sound for slap sections where you need a little more bottom end. I only keep it on all the time with the passive jazz as it needs it all the time.

Like an earlier post I really like to try and control the sound from the bass rather than playing with the EQ on the amp which I tend to keep flat anyway.
[/quote] sadowsky on board preamp sort you out then? you already know you like the sound.

Do they do one for a Stingray then?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1330442706' post='1557537']
sadowsky on board preamp sort you out then? you already know you like the sound.
[/quote]
[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1330442706' post='1557537']
sadowsky on board preamp sort you out then? you already know you like the sound.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1330442994' post='1557543']
Do they do one for a Stingray then?
[/quote]
A preamp is a preamp, if you want a specific one designed for a stingray then a stingray or east one would be best. Otherwise you could stick whatever you want in there if you want it.

If it sounds like the outboard pre then I would be well up for that!

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1330453183' post='1557795']
I've heard a few guys on TB recommend the Sadowsky pre as being similar sounding to the Musicman one before. Can't say for sure, but it may be worth a shot.
[/quote]
[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1330453183' post='1557795']
I've heard a few guys on TB recommend the Sadowsky pre as being similar sounding to the Musicman one before. Can't say for sure, but it may be worth a shot.
[/quote]