Why become a member? ×

Upton Professor Double Bass for Sale - Withdrawn

bassace

I'm offering my Upton Prof for sale. I had Uptons send it over in 2007, Opus no 25. It is a large 3/4 size, flatback with great projection. It is a much admired instrument by all those who see and hear it and the only reason I'm selling it is because I'm about to order another Upton.

Apart from a few almost invisible indentations where my finger nail has come off the E string the condition is pristine. Upton's setup is superb, the bass played well straight out of the box and no further setup was needed. Strung with Spiro Mittels on GDA and Evah Pirazzi on E. It has a thickly padded Upton cover.

This is a seriously good bass offered at the reasonable price of £3500.

Rather than take a poor photo, I am linking Upton's description here and please note the shade of this bass is darker than the one shown, more dark coffee. PM me for any further info and all inspections welcome.

[url="http://www.uptonbass.com/Upton-Bass-UB-Standard-Professor-Double-Bass/"]http://www.uptonbass...or-Double-Bass/[/url]

Edited by bassace

God I wish I could justify this! This is a stupidly expensive year for me as I'm flying my parents over from the states to see their grandchildren this spring. If this wasn't the case I'd be driving to see you this weekend. Hope you get a quick sale for a great quality and very fair priced bass. :)

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1330469639' post='1558143']
This is a great deal! I would love to try this bass. I need a southern gig to give me an excuse :-)
[/quote]

Fancy organising a minibus Geoff?

I bet there'd be a few of us from Yorkshire would love to see the Upton and meet Bassace face to face :)

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1330472862' post='1558199']

I bet there'd be a few of us from Yorkshire would love to see the Upton and meet Bassace face to face :)
[/quote]

I'm at Boston Spa 7th April. Coach tours to see ancient monuments are quite popular round here - you could also see the Upton!

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1330472466' post='1558192']
Hi ya bassace.
Can you tell us the width of the upper bout? How does it perform for arco. And finally I notice that you have a Tom Martin bass. How does the upton compare in your opinion.
Cheers.
[/quote]

Upper bout is 21.5". It's quite good under the bow - I say that because it's on Spiros and, as you know, they are not the best bowing strings. The sound is less coloured than the Martin, very even across the strings less 'thump' but with a lot more sustain. It sings better if you see what I mean.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1330472862' post='1558199']

[/quote]

Count me in too :)

These Uptons and the New Standard Clevelands are on the list of things to do or try. As much as the old played in basses are nice, I can't help but think advents in technology can make these new basses more reliable, robust, and great sounding.

Edited by TPJ

I looked at these when I was shopping around and thought they looked beautiful. The price tag is well outside of my league at the moment though (pending a knock on the door by Nadia Sawalha from Heir Hunters telling me my liong lost Uncle Nobby died intestate and I have inherited the lot. Good ol' Nobby!).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1330513555' post='1558535']
I looked at these when I was shopping around and thought they looked beautiful. The price tag is well outside of my league at the moment though (pending a knock on the door by Nadia Sawalha from Heir Hunters telling me my liong lost Uncle Nobby died intestate and I have inherited the lot. Good ol' Nobby!).
[/quote]

Strange, Bilbo, he was asking about you a year or so ago.

Fair question and apologies for my initial vagueness/laziness.

The bass is a Professor Standard with a flat back and German spruce front, violin corners, bridge adjusters and an Underwood pickup installed. The Upton price is $5,000 basic and by the time you've got all the bits, (Upton even charge for strings), the bass is shipped over and duty is paid the cost here would be £5,000. I've just worked this all out in detail and it confirms my rule-of-thumb that within that sort of price range the dollar price is equal to the GBP price paid to get it over here.

If you look at the pics on the Upton site mine is very similar to the one shown on the second line down of the small pics but without the hat peg tuners.