Why become a member? ×

Which bassline inspired you to pick up the bass?

skej21

So, on the 31st of March 2012 it is national 'Learn To Play Day' (organised by 'Music for All').

The aim of the event is for individuals across the nation who have always wanted to pick up an instrument and learn to play, to get a free lesson at one of the places involved with event, on their preferred instrument without having to purchase one. A "taster" if you will.

As part of this event, I will be holding a bass workshop for a small number of individuals who want to learn to play the bass.

However, time is limited and I need to really figure out which bass part/s I can feasibly teach in the time allocated.

Ideally, the bass line needs to be a riff/ostinato. While I can think of a few, I dont feel that they are the most inspiring and would really appreciate it if you guys could name a bass line that fits that criteria that really inspired YOU to pick up the bass!

Any ideas?

Hopefully, I can get a fair few and cater for all tastes (because there is bound to be one or two who say 'I dont like *insert prepared bass part*, have you not got something else?')

TIA :)

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1330612911' post='1560372']
Lord Of Light (Hawkwind - Space Ritual) might be suitable. Good bass riff but pretty simple.
[/quote]

I'm sure that the majority of people that will turn up (which I'm guessing will be mostly teenagers)will instantly
recognise it and be inspired.

I always find that a lot of people are impressed by ".....Teen Spirit". A simple 12 bar blues pattern (1,3,5,3)
always goes down well too.
Other than that,if you know lots of tunes it is easy to find something that they like and could play.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1330614235' post='1560405']
I'm sure that the majority of people that will turn up (which I'm guessing will be mostly teenagers)will instantly
[/quote]

:lol:
That made me laugh while simultaneously making me feel very old as it was one of the first things I ever played in a band with school friends.

I always find that a lot of people are impressed by ".....Teen Spirit". A simple 12 bar blues pattern (1,3,5,3)
always goes down well too.
Other than that,if you know lots of tunes it is easy to find something that they like and could play.
[/quote]

Yeah, I already had blues walking bass in my list, but its a bit predictable/boring/uninspiring. I also don't like doing it in isolation, because I think it helps to perpetuate the stereotype of 'blues has to sound like this *plays arpeggiated major triads*'... I think it's something that should be covered in a lesson within a series of lessons, so that you can explore breaking those rules once they've been laid out.

I'd much rather have them playing an isolated song that they will go home thinking 'I want to listen to/play more of that!'

Also, trying to find an alternative to the ever-popular [i]Seven Nation Army[/i]! :P

Edited by skej21

[/quote]

OK then, how about the "Deal or No Deal" theme? :P

Edited by Earbrass

The basslines taht got me into bass are rather well known:

2nd half of "The Chain" - Fleetwood Mac
New Years Day - U2
The Void - The Beatles

Oh, & loads of Talking Heads!

Edited by xgsjx

Back in the day, the first tune i had to learn for the opening number of my first gig
with my first band was 'Nivram'.. :blush:
Good grief and it sounds like Jazz i thought.
My Dad offered to play it if i could not manage to learn it quick enough and i could slip on after.... :lol: :lol:

Garry

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1330618300' post='1560502']
I was going to suggest something from the Stranglers early period, but Bilbo beat me to it with Peaches..the 'kids' might even recognise it from Sexy Beast.

How about Money by Floyd? or Word Up by Cameo?
[/quote]

Yeah, Stranglers is a good shout.

I considered Money by Floyd, but felt 7/8 is probably not the kindest of things to introduce a total beginner to!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1330620614' post='1560555']
Yeah, Stranglers is a good shout.

I considered Money by Floyd, but felt 7/8 is probably not the kindest of things to introduce a total beginner to!
[/quote]

Just don't tell 'em! I could play it long before I knew what 7/8 was...

Another idea, how about Guns of Brixton?

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1330621516' post='1560594']
Just don't tell 'em! I could play it long before I knew what 7/8 was...
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I know a guy who still can't play it in time and he's been playing for 10 years... He also plays the intro to 'White Room' in 4/4. It's like he's stuck in it!

I'm not saying 7/8 is potentially beyond any of the beginners, I just want to keep it simple because if i factor in a possible stumbling block (even a small one like an odd-time/compound time signatures/tricky rhythms etc) the chances are it will end up creating an issue.

Edited by skej21