Why become a member? ×

Refinished my '84 Ibanez Blazer!

Truckstop

Hello all and welcome to my little Ibanez Blazer refinish thread!

In the past, my refinishing and/or relicing projects have been...poor, to say the least! There's a thread with some detail on that here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163906-ou7shined-does-it-again-diary-of-a-respray-job-on-a-completely-sodded-fender-jazz-5/page__p__1489095__hl__ou7shined%20does%20it%20again__fromsearch__1#entry1489095"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/163906-ou7shined-does-it-again-diary-of-a-respray-job-on-a-completely-sodded-fender-jazz-5/page__p__1489095__hl__ou7shined%20does%20it%20again__fromsearch__1#entry1489095[/url]

So, I found myself with an afternoon off last week and I wanted a little project to get my teeth into. I had previously restrained myself from refinishing the Blazer because I thought that it looked nice and beaten up, nicely mojo'd and (rather shallow, I know) I thought it'd retain its value more if it was kept as original as possible. But the other day I gigged it and my fiancee was there and she said to me that she thought it looked awful. She said it looked like I'd found it in the bin! How dare she! But, I had to agree. Looking back at some live shots, I had to admit to myself that it did look grubby rather than 'vintage'.

So! To conclude the introduction to this thread, here's some 'before' pictures. I did take some of my own, but they were rubbish, so I'm borrowing these from FlatErics for sale ad:

[i]Will he be able to complete the job before his time runs out? Can he save the villagers? Stay tuned for part 2![/i]

Armed with lots and lots of sandpaper, I set to work.
Luckily the previous finish (or rather, what was left of it!) came off without too much trouble using 60 grit sandpaper. I sanded for day and night for nearly 8 hours. I worked up from the aforementioned 60 grit through 80, 100, 140, 240, 300, 360 and finally some wet and dry for the hell of it. As instructed by my dad, I used his old adage of "If you think you've finished sanding, you havent. Do it again!" So I did!
Because this was just a refinish rather than a build from scratch, I felt that that was more than enough sanding. It was as smooth as a baby's arse and with each grade came a different level to the grain. It really started to look quite special!

And the back:

You may have noticed a couple of dents in the wood. These are the remnants of its bashed about past. I thought it'd be nice to leave the dents in as a little reminder of it's history. I doubt i'll ever sell this on anyway. Also, I don't know how to get dents out of wood or if it's even possible?

The next day I started to apply the finish.
I was unsure what finish to go for; I have some danish oil here, some Tonetech Lacquer and Beeswax. Suddenly I remembered the build thread for Sheps RIM Marseer and I remember asking Robbie (of RIM) how he acheived his wonderful slightly sunbursty finish. Turns out he used two different types of oil and then waxed for the finish. Sold!

Because I am also legendarily impatient, I couldnt be bothered with the whole sealing, lacquering, flatting process required to get a pro finish. I also have not had much experience with spraying finishes and in no way can afford to send if off and get it don by someone who knows what he's doing!

So, I broke out the oil and got started. Over the next 3 days I applied 6 coats of danish oil using some wet and dry inbetween each coat. Not even sure if I was supposed to do that, but I did anyway!

Here's a picture after the 3rd coat; you can begin to see the grain begin to really pop out:

Really happy at this point, everything I've done seems to have worked out perfectly so far!

Now we're onto the home stretch! Waxing, buffing and putting it back together again!
My dad managed to provide me with some Black's Beeswax; apparantly it's super good? After the final (started to get bored of applying a coat and waiting 6 hours to sand and do another) coat I left overnight to settle and buffed the hell out of it. I applied a little wax and did 2 coats about 5 hours apart and then gave a final hand buff to get a subtle sheen. At this point the grain is looking simply supurb and I cannot wait to put it together!

Looks lovely dunnit, eh?

Now, I put it back together and get it set up just the way I like it.
You'll notice I decided to not finish the neck. This is mainly because I didnt want to damage the headstock and also one of the things I really love about this bass is how comfy the neck is, so I've left it in the hope it'll be just as comfy and worn it was before. At some point I'll need to get the frets levelled, but dont have any money :(
I also decided to not shield the cavities. I bought some copper tape in preparation, but again, I wanted to keep the bass as original as possible. I also didnt want to mess with the tone in any way shape or form and I was terrified that shielding everything might do that!
The pickups were a right bastard to fit back in. The screw heads had rusted big time, so I use some needle pliers to screw them in. A lot of swearing and cup of tea later, they're secured. Here's a picture of the electronics; no expense spared!

Again, I toyed with the idea of replacing the electronics and the pickups with something more modern, but decided not too. Keep it as original possible etc etc don't touch the sound etc etc!

And here she is! All finished, good as new(ish) and set up ready to play!

I think given more time and money, I would have gone for a glossy lacquer finish, but I've found the oil/wax combo to be quite similar to the original finish.
Overall I'm really happy with how it's turned out. I know it's a simple job compared to some of the other refinishes here, but it think a simple finish suits a simple bass very well. I'm glad I didnt mess with the originality of the bass and I'm sure it'll last me many many years!

Thanks for reading!

Alex

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1331049147' post='1566846']
Cheers! It's the first project that not only did I manage to finish, but also doesnt make me curse the wind for what I have created!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Nice work chief, the grain looks great after your efforts. Also, I'm borrowing the "curse the wind" line - nice! :)

Thank you Mark, yeah I saw your build thread, well impressed! Specially seeing as it was your first try!
I'm on the lookout for another project too, got my eyes peeled for another Blazer or maybe a Peavey T-40. I need to get over my fear and move onto lacquer finishes. After that I'll hopefully have the guts to move onto poly finishes of all colours! I do love oil finishes though and I'd love to experiment with dyes and see what interesting tints I can get. Need to source some cheap bodies with decent grains though :(

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice.The grain is superb.
Just a quick word to anyone using Danish Oil or similar.The rags can spontaniously combust when scrunched up(I know a decorator it happened to).Best bet is to burn the rags the moment you have finished with them.

• 4 years later...

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1332278079' post='1586111']
Very nice.The grain is superb.
Just a quick word to anyone using Danish Oil or similar.The rags can spontaniously combust when scrunched up(I know a decorator it happened to).Best bet is to burn the rags the moment you have finished with them.
[/quote].. or wet them in water and leave them out to dry naturally.

Lovely refin BTW Alex. Do you still have it? It looks great.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1489959941' post='3261143']
Sadly not :( I sold it when I was going through a skint phase. I loved that bass.

Oh well, they're only things, aren't they?

Although digging out this old thread has me GASing for another refin project!
[/quote]

It [i]was [/i]mine.
[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/ibanez-blazer-bass.html"]http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/ibanez-blazer-bass.html[/url]

I wish I still had it, as well.
I went through a phase of letting some of them go and Alex, who was soon to become "St. Albans Ibanez Blazer Fanclub President". . . . the only member so far. . . .seemed to be the best custodian and then. . . . . he sold it!!! :( :unsure: :blink:

I think we both feel the pain.

I replaced it, with a red one. . . . so I'm alright, Jack!! :D :D :D :P

Get another one mate. . . you know you want to!!

:D

Lovely job! I have an old blazer that rarely gets played. Its still in original condition. Ive renewed the wiring. I got a qtr pounder pick up but never fitted it in case it ruins the sound.

The only thing that i don't like about it is that the lacquer is lifting off the headstock logo and gone cloudy. Not sure if it can be fixed or even if i should fix it. Maybe just best left alone 😀

Despite it rarely getting played i cant seem to part with it.