Why become a member? ×

Songs defined by their bass lines

FJ1200

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='173650' date='Apr 10 2008, 08:43 AM']"Bonin in the Boneyard" has to be the greatest song title ever![/quote]

Definitely right up there!

The lyrics to the bass solo/middle 8/breakdown section are 'Funky Bass, Funky Ass Bass,' repeated over and over.

[quote name='Astronomer' post='173730' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:23 AM']Money - Pink Floyd
Sunshine Of My Love (think that's what it's called - dunno who did it)
Super Freak - Rick James
Sommat by Chic - can't remember what it's called

I'm sure there's more.... :)[/quote]
Super Freak is a brilliant song and a great bassline....

Don't think anyone has mentioned these, but please forgive me if they have ...

Hit Me With Your Rythmn Stick
Fleetwood Mac song? (Top Gear theme tune)
Dancing In The Moonlight -Lizzy
Is She Really Going Out With Him -Joe Jackson
Psycho Killer -Talking Heads
Peaches -Stranglers
Yours Is No Disgrace - Yes

And I'm sure there are loads more

I'm afraid I have to be contrary and disagree with most of the suggestions put forward. These are songs with very strong basslines, but they're not defined by their basslines.

Play any of the songs below to the average layman and they'll twig what the song is - I have tested these on my wife.

Money - Pink Floyd - definitely.
O'Jays - For the love of Money
Fleetwood Mac - The Chain

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='174440' date='Apr 11 2008, 11:45 AM']for example i have no idea how For the love of money goes.[/quote]

Betcha do!! It's been used on 'The Apprentice' ads - heavily phased/flanged bass line with a girl group vocal 'money, money, money, moaney'!! - Google it and you will recognise it, I guarantee it. It was written by Anthony Jackson so he must be getting some new royalties for it!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='174481' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:40 PM']Betcha do!! It's been used on 'The Apprentice' ads - heavily phased/flanged bass line with a girl group vocal 'money, money, money, moaney'!! - Google it and you will recognise it, I guarantee it. It was written by Anthony Jackson so he must be getting some new royalties for it![/quote]

Exactly my point. That song is totally defined by the bassline and apart from that particular vocal line, most people only actually know the bassline and it's the part they sing.

Another one, Lady Marmalade. Play that 7 note phrase to almost anyone and they'll start singing the verse and chorus - or try to bcause no one knows the words. The thing they remember is the melody line G D F bB F G C, only it isn't the melody line - it's the bassline!

Chameleon - Herbioe Hancock and the Head Hunters. Fair do's it's not exactly mainstream, but for 5 minutes, the bassline is the coolest, most memorable part of the song.

[quote name='JJTee' post='174468' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:29 PM']You're the One That I Want - Grease (John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John)

What a truly great bassline! - anyone know who played it?[/quote]

Isn't it just

Played by David Hungate. He's an LA and Nashville session player but also played in the original Toto lineup before Mike Porcaro

Edited by AndyMartin

+1 to Money and Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick definitely.

Greenday - Longview
Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes
Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
The Strokes - Juicebox
Free - Alright Now (if you played the solo to just about anyone they would recognise it.)

...to name a few.

I think there are a fair few bass songs that started off as great basslines, and the guitards just copied. (Juicebox being a prime example.) :)

The Cure- fascination street
Siouxsie & the Banshees- christine
Stranglers- nice n' sleazy
Iron maiden- the clairvoyant (although it's really Number of the beast reversed :) )
Simple Minds- new gold dream
Psychedelic Furs- sleep comes down

Edited by SJA

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='174481' date='Apr 11 2008, 12:40 PM']Betcha do!! It's been used on 'The Apprentice' ads - heavily phased/flanged bass line with a girl group vocal 'money, money, money, moaney'!! - Google it and you will recognise it, I guarantee it. It was written by Anthony Jackson so he must be getting some new royalties for it![/quote]

ok i had to look it up and on the subject if someone had said "do you know...." i would't have. but yeah i recognise it. (dont watch the apprentice it's sh*t :) ) but that proves my point (or maybe not), alot you wont know the name but would have heard it. ok not all but it still defines the track in the confines of it audience.

Peace Sells- Megadeth (Brilliant intro riff, really carries the song).
The Crowing- Coheed and Cambria (Very distinctive verse bassline, but then again you'd only recognise it if you were a bit of a C&C fan).
Take the Power Back- Rage Against the Machine (many other RATM bass riffs too!)

Waiting room - Fugazi
Bullit in the head - Rage Against the Machine
Under pressure - Queen
Half caste - Thin Lizzy
Black boys on the corner - Thin Lizzy
Hit me with your rhythm stick - Ian Dury
No more heroes - The Stranglers
Psycho killer - Talking Heads
Reel around the fountain - The Smiths
This charming man - The Smiths
Love cats - The Cure
Close to me - The Cure
Little green bag - George Baker Selection
Theme to bullitt - Lalo Schifrin
The trooper - Iron Maiden
Bank robber - The Clash
Dancing in the moonlight - Thin Lizzy
Boris the spider - The Who
Black dog - Led Zeppelin

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll probably remember more later.